DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Suddenly the Word "Bricked" is Being Seen In This Forum

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member

Suddenly the Word "Bricked" is Being Seen In This Forum

When I first joined this forum the word "bricked" wasn't even part of the Droid vocabulary. Even after rooting came out it was only mentioned as a caustion.

I'm not advising anybody not to root their phone, overclock it or not to do whatever you want with your phone. I would however tell you that I sure am seeing a heck a lot more of the the work "Bricked" in thread titles and on the ones I do read they certainly do appear bricked to me.

I would probably say to those who are thinking about rooting their phone that at the beginning of the talk about rooting it was recommended that only people with advanced knowledge attempt it. Now I see threads that say "Rooting for the Noob" and I check that out and there are 50 steps involved. That to me is a lot of chances for something to go wrong.

If you're going to root your phone make sure you read everything before hand and that you understand what you are reading. If you don't then it may be in your best interest just to stay away from it.

Getting off my pedestal now. Feel free to comment.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    When I first joined this forum the word "bricked" wasn't even part of the Droid vocabulary. Even after rooting came out it was only mentioned as a caustion.

I'm not advising anybody not to root their phone, overclock it or not to do whatever you want with your phone. I would however tell you that I sure am seeing a heck a lot more of the the work "Bricked" in thread titles and on the ones I do read they certainly do appear bricked to me.

I would probably say to those who are thinking about rooting their phone that at the beginning of the talk about rooting it was recommended that only people with advanced knowledge attempt it. Now I see threads that say "Rooting for the Noob" and I check that out and there are 50 steps involved. That to me is a lot of chances for something to go wrong.

If you're going to root your phone make sure you read everything before hand and that you understand what you are reading. If you don't then it may be in your best interest just to stay away from it.

Getting off my pedestal now. Feel free to comment.

True.....only root if you are comfortable doing so. I just hope there are not tons of calls to technical support and returns to VZW. I think if it was to get out of hand the "freedom" that is allowed will be no more.

It's just like a PC. If you feel comfortble with it do what you like. I did not root for the longest time in fear that i would disable my phone. After i became comfortable with it and understood the instructions it was a piece of cake, of course i learn on the fly and am able to pick up things quickly. If you are not one of those kind of people i recommend not rooting at all.

To sum it all up.....don't root just to root....only root if you will benefit from doing so
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Agreed! I've got some knowledge beyond that of most "everyday" people, but haven't decided to root yet, because all of the things I read about being done don't interest me.

Do I think I could do it properly with no problem? Absolutely.

But as stated above, it's not worth the hassle if you're unsure, or if there's not a GOOD reason for you to do it!
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Kansas View Post
    Agreed! I've got some knowledge beyond that of most "everyday" people, but haven't decided to root yet, because all of the things I read about being done don't interest me.

Do I think I could do it properly with no problem? Absolutely.

But as stated above, it's not worth the hassle if you're unsure, or if there's not a GOOD reason for you to do it!
    I honestly think I can do it but the part that bothers me is as I'm reading down on the instructions I stop understanding things. Now I'm 99.9% if I actually proceed to do it when I get to these areas I will understand but I just can't justify taking the risk on something that I don't see needs a great deal of improvement on anyway. So I'll just be patient, and I hope others think about it before they embark on trying to do it.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BABY!
    Yeah, no rooting or overclocking for me... I learned that lesson the hard way after frying 2 hard drives on my PC trying to overclock. Hard drives are cheap though, buying a new Droid would not be... Just me though...
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2.01
    Follow directions-easy enough
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I agree with you guys, I tend to think rooting and installing ROMs is pretty easy but I do have mild experience with such things and what is considered easy to some many be hard for others. I don't think there are that many people bricking phones, I think its more people don't know how to recover from a problem or don't know what the word itself means. I also see people rooting just to root, why do it if you dont even know what to do with after its done? I see statements like: "okay now Im rooted, what can I do now". Do research first people, make sure 1. That you are comfortable with it and 2. That you will somehow benefit from being rooted.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Part of the problem is that people are misusing the word "bricked" ("You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"). A phone is "bricked" when no recovery is possible, you can't restore it at all. If you can get to the bootloader or recovery console, the phone isn't bricked, it's just slightly broken..
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    It's all about natural selection, if you play with and you don't
    know how to handle it , you will get burnt. I spend several hours researching
    Every step I want to take with my rooted phone. Not doing so is like asking
    To brick your phone.
  10. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnutt View Post
    Part of the problem is that people are misusing the word "bricked" ("You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"). A phone is "bricked" when no recovery is possible, you can't restore it at all. If you can get to the bootloader or recovery console, the phone isn't bricked, it's just slightly broken..
    yes, most people are bricking when they make serious modifications without installing sprecovery and making a nandroid backup... but 90% of "bricks" are actually just "f-ups" and can be fixed easily with minor experience
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links