DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a good free image hosting site that plays well w/Droid?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Archos 101

What's a good free image hosting site that plays well w/Droid?

I used to host all my images on a sever my buddy runs and he's taking it offline so I need to find a free site that hosts images that's reliable. I haven't really needed this service since I've had it taken care of from day 1 pretty much so I am not up to speed on what's out there. The reason I'm asking here is because I would also like to use a Droid friendly site for this purpose. Any apps or anything that could coincide with this for uploads and account management? I need for it to be able to be password protected so people can't truncate my url and browse all my photos and I need to be able to set up different folders and subfolders with a decent UI. I would also like something that allows me to upload to larger photos and then it gives more a more manageable resize option to link to as well. For instance 1024 is the width of all the thumbnails but if I click it again it gives me the full size (which may be 2-3x larger) image and I'm able to link to both of them. I also need something that allows for some adult rated content as sometimes I may post up photoshops or jokes or other items that would exceed a Rated G lable and don't want to get it all set up only to delete it if I upload something that's not considered family friendly.

So, what's out there that fits this bill? Droid app isn't a deal breaker for me but if there's a free app that works it's certainly a bonus.

Thanks for the help.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Uh picasa would be the obvious answer (not sure if you want something else).
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    ^+1, Picasa, it's more or less built into the OS (can share straight from the gallery viewer and post directly from the camera).

If there is something particular you're looking for be sure to explain so people have a better idea of what you're wanting.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Twitter
    MJZ2112
    Phone
    MotoX baby!
    Photoshop works very well
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Photobucket, Flickr.
    DVD Catalyst - Simply the best program around for encoding videos and DVDs to various types of devices.
    www.tools4movies.com

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/JTAC_Droid

HOW TO: Convert Videos for use with Droid:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tml#post133774

Post questions about the "HOW TO" here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...use-droid.html
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Archos 101
    I think Picasa might be what I was looking for for the best integration with the Droid. The question I have is if I install this on my PC will it attempt to scan my entire HDD to make them all available online or can I pick and choose individually what I want hosted online and which ones I want to be made public and which ones are password protected but I can still link to them? I read some horror stories about Picasa basically scanning your HDD and posting ALL of your images online or making them available but I don't know how accurate that is.... sounds far fetched to me but I want to make sure before I click I Agree I'm not signing up for some sort of privacy issue I want nothing to do with.

As I've stated, I have had hosting from a buddy for long enough that I know relatively nothing about this other than what I had.
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I think Picasa might be what I was looking for for the best integration with the Droid. The question I have is if I install this on my PC will it attempt to scan my entire HDD to make them all available online or can I pick and choose individually what I want hosted online and which ones I want to be made public and which ones are password protected but I can still link to them? I read some horror stories about Picasa basically scanning your HDD and posting ALL of your images online or making them available but I don't know how accurate that is.... sounds far fetched to me but I want to make sure before I click I Agree I'm not signing up for some sort of privacy issue I want nothing to do with.

As I've stated, I have had hosting from a buddy for long enough that I know relatively nothing about this other than what I had.
    Well, I've only recently started using Picasa, but I didn't install the program. I simply upload from my Droid, then go to picasa.com and click on web albums. I'm usually logged into Gmail already, but you may have to log into your google account. From there, you can link and set permissions and etc...
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Archos 101
    I will likely be uploading from my PC more than my Droid so I will need to use whatever is needed to do that. Do I need to install a program to accomplish this from my PC or can I simply log into an account or FTP files to/from the server?
  10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    I will likely be uploading from my PC more than my Droid so I will need to use whatever is needed to do that. Do I need to install a program to accomplish this from my PC or can I simply log into an account or FTP files to/from the server?
    Oh man...My bad. Forgot to mention that. You can also upload pics from your computer. I actually JUST did that for the first time. With the free service, you get 1 GB of space. Just found that out as well.

Upgrades are as follows:

20 GB ($5.00 USD per year)

80 GB ($20.00 USD per year)

200 GB ($50.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

400 GB ($100.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

1 TB ($256.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G, Archos 101
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Kansas View Post
    Oh man...My bad. Forgot to mention that. You can also upload pics from your computer. I actually JUST did that for the first time. With the free service, you get 1 GB of space. Just found that out as well.

Upgrades are as follows:

20 GB ($5.00 USD per year)

80 GB ($20.00 USD per year)

200 GB ($50.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

400 GB ($100.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card

1 TB ($256.00 USD per year) includes free Eye-Fi card
    Ewe... 1gb for free is pretty low. Not sure this will work for me then and I don't want to pay for storage unless I absolutely have to.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links