DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First real trip with google maps navigation

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid, Droid Eris

First real trip with google maps navigation

Ive had several windshield mount navs, a Pioneer Avic-X910BT, this was my first real trip trying out the navigation on the Moto Droid.

Bottom line, I LOVED it! Being able to enter destinations by saying "Navigate to Ihop in Bremerton....etc. Awesome. Saved my at least 5-10 minutes each time by not having to look up and peck out the addresses. Heck, I didnt even know the addresses to any of the places I went to. Dont get me started on how long it takes to do a POI search on any of the devices Ive tried so far.

Voice commands and input were flawless, destinations were always the first result that popped up in the list after giving the navigate command. In bigger cities, the street view of the building would pop up as you get close.

Ive never had any of my nav systems tell me that the destination was on the left or right.

Works great even while running Pandora in the background.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bugless Beast
    That's pretty awesome that it pops up the street view of the building! I still think it's hilarious that Google has the best maps and Garmin has to buy them off of Google.. too funny!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    SS 2.2 @ 1000Mhz
    Good to know, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really use it. I used it back when the Droid first came out from Utah to Arizona and it was dead on...
    Droid X (Leaked Froyo) Green BigDXSerenity Theme
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I used navigation last week, we needed to see if there was a shorter way to get where we were going. Worked flawless and saved me time; wife sat in the passenger seat with total disbelief. She kept saying "how does it know that". Too Funny; this is the Greatest device(phone) I have ever owned.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Yea navigation sure beats my Garmin. I've used it many times for calls and estimates. I must say I havent even tried voice commands for navigation. But I will next time.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    Google Navigation rocks!

It's living proof that it's not so much the hardware platform that makes smart phone great It's computing power and the network that supports it.

'Nuff said.
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Any issues with Data Roaming? Because...It has issues loading up maps if you get lost and you're roaming...

But then, someone posted a claimed letter from a VZW rep saying that if your phone says "Extended Network," you don't incur any roaming charges. But I'm a bit worried about activating data roaming [as you can do when the little icon pops up in the status bar]...

Other than that, I totally agree. It kicks a**!
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Really used it the other day when I kind of got lost. I knew the general direction but I wasn't quite sure. I pulled over and grabbed the text message that was sent to me for the address I needed to go to, pressed on the address part (handcent) and up popped navigation options. Soon I had the vocal navigation going and it took me right where I needed to go and I definitely would have missed the street had it not told me 500 ft ahead.

Droid is just so cool.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Kansas View Post
    Any issues with Data Roaming? Because...It has issues loading up maps if you get lost and you're roaming...

But then, someone posted a claimed letter from a VZW rep saying that if your phone says "Extended Network," you don't incur any roaming charges. But I'm a bit worried about activating data roaming [as you can do when the little icon pops up in the status bar]...

Other than that, I totally agree. It kicks a**!
    I have been with verizon for the last 7-8 years and never once have i incurred data roaming charges. Im not sure who is spreading this false info but one of the main reasons i have stuck with verizon for so long is the fact that they never charge roaming fees
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    The only thing I miss using my Droid instead of my Garmin are the voices. I want sexy Karen to talk to me through my phone. Voice navigation is more than a toy; it's a much more efficient way to tell the device where to take me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links