DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Verizon Should Drop the "Droid" Branding

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII

Verizon Should Drop the "Droid" Branding

I think it's long overdue. Frankly, it bothers me the most because people call all Android phones "Droids." Someone mint say, "Oh cool, is that a Droid?" and I have to explain to them that it is an HTC Thunderbolt running Googles Android operating system and that George Lucas doesn't get paid royalties when Verizon sells them. Then I get an, "Oh.." and a look of disappointment, as if my phone would have been cooler if it had been "a Droid"

And today, they have countless phones labelled as "Droids" and usually the labeling is arbitrary and has nothing to do with how good the phone is. The Charge was a dud and was definitely worse then the Thunderbolt, but Verizon nonetheless gave the Charge the Droid labelling. The Razr and Bionic can't hold a match to the Galaxy Nexus, but both are "Droids" while the Nexus is not. "Droid" phones arent different in appearance, look or feel in any way. HTC "Droids" run the same Sense and Motorola "Droids" run the same Blur overlays that their other phones do. So, what's the point?

To me, "Droid" will always be the original Motorola Droid that first came out in Nov 2009. I'll never forget the iPhone attack ad campaign and the mysterious ads that preceded the phone. The backlit slider keyboard, the rugged design, Vanilla Android is what I think of when I hear "Droid" being used in reference to a phone.

Unfortunately, the word is probably a cash cow for Verizon. As always, they are praying on stupid consumers who are too ignorant to comprehend that "Droid" phones are just Android with "Droid" in front of their name. A consumer may seek to have a "Droid" and find that Verizon is the only one that sells them!!!

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    You're right, a big, huge, cash cow for VZW/Motorola, its all about marketing, always has been, always will be, something we all know that works cause Apple is the best at it cause the general consumer group falls for it all.

As much as I would like to see it dropped as well, its just not going to happen...
  4. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    i just say yes, it is a droid and move on with my day

because if they know my phone is the nexus then they wouldn't ask, and if they don't know, then me explaining anything isn't gonna make a difference
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    i just say yes, it is a droid and move on with my day

because if they know my phone is the nexus then they wouldn't ask, and if they don't know, then me explaining anything isn't gonna make a difference
    +1, if they have to ask, they are likely no interested in really knowing that awesomeness and goodness that your phone is over [the phone that shalt not be named]. lol
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    The really sad thing is even some of the people working at VZW corporate stores call all android phones Droids. Guy was showing me his Gnex before launch and was calling it a Droid. Had to grin and smile and then cringe when I walked away.

Tap'd from my G'Nex
  7. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    The really sad thing is even some of the people working at VZW corporate stores call all android phones Droids. Guy was showing me his Gnex before launch and was calling it a Droid. Had to grin and smile and then cringe when I walked away.

Tap'd from my G'Nex
    when i went in on launch day, the guy didn't know what phone i was looking at until i told him

but that was expected lol
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    The Droid branding works, so why drop it?

Verizon and its silly "Droid" campaign did more for the Android platform than anything had up to that point. I honestly think if it weren't for "DROID DOES", Android wouldn't be where it is today.

Yes, it's getting a bit old. But it continues to add a "cool" factor to Android that the kiddies like.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    The Droid branding works, so why drop it?

Verizon and its silly "Droid" campaign did more for the Android platform than anything had up to that point. I honestly think if it weren't for "DROID DOES", Android wouldn't be where it is today.

Yes, it's getting a bit old. But it continues to add a "cool" factor to Android that the kiddies like.

+1, tis also a good point, it did help launch android into the general consumer line
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I like the "Droid" branding. They should keep it. Besides not all android devices get the brand only flagship devices that vzw endorses and can fill with bloatware .
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post

Tap'd from my G'Nex
    What's the big deal? Why should anyone bother to know all about what they do for a living? I mean if you tell your doctor that your foot hurts and then he starts looking in your ear, I see no problem with that!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links