DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorting contacts?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Question Sorting contacts?

Hey all, wondering if there was some way to sort my Favorites list in contacts. I can't figure out how they are sorting it, it seems random. Not the order in which I added them, or alphabetical.

What's the dealio?
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon S4 ME7 w/root
    for mine it is sorting by first name. I would like to order by last name.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

need sorting all around

They really need to add sorting to all lists in the OS...
  4. JMH
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Sorting by last name

This is what happens when you let a bunch of 20 somethings program things. In the business world everyone sorts by last name. Suppose you picked up a phone book in a major city and the names were sorted by first names. You would toss it immediately. I have over 1200 contacts in my data base and just moved to the Droid. Had I known of this problem I would have gotten a blackberry. If they don't fix this we will have to dump the phones and move to something that we can use.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1- rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    This is what happens when you let a bunch of 20 somethings program things. In the business world everyone sorts by last name. Suppose you picked up a phone book in a major city and the names were sorted by first names. You would toss it immediately. I have over 1200 contacts in my data base and just moved to the Droid. Had I known of this problem I would have gotten a blackberry. If they don't fix this we will have to dump the phones and move to something that we can use.
    In V2.2

Contacts -> Settings -> Display Options -> Sort list by -> Last name

I guess those 20-somethings aren't complete idiots, eh?

Regarding the OP's question, if you manually add contacts to Favorites, they should be sorted in alphabetical order, but there is another Frequently Contacted box at the bottom of the list that will automatically populate, and this seems to be sorted by frequency of contact. If you have not manually added Favorites, however, this will be the only thing you see and you're right-it will appear to be completely random and cannot be sorted.
    While understanding "How" may get the job done, understanding "Why" will get the job done properly.
  6. JMH
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Sorting

On the Droid X you cannot do this so I stand by my comment. If you think you can do this then I am happy to fly you to Washington DC and let you sort them. If you cannot you will then admit that the idiots did program the phone wrong.

I am hoping that when the 2.2 comes to the Droid X they will correct the feature but I will have to wait. And this is something they should have done from the beginning, not in a fix.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1- rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    On the Droid X you cannot do this so I stand by my comment. If you think you can do this then I am happy to fly you to Washington DC and let you sort them. If you cannot you will then admit that the idiots did program the phone wrong.

I am hoping that when the 2.2 comes to the Droid X they will correct the feature but I will have to wait. And this is something they should have done from the beginning, not in a fix.
    As I say in my post, and you allude to in yours, this is in V2.2.

I'll still take you up on that flight to DC though.

You're right, this should have been included from the beginning, but let's avoid sweeping comments that disparage a group that includes some pretty brilliant people (and a lot of members of this forum).
    While understanding "How" may get the job done, understanding "Why" will get the job done properly.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    After coming from a phone where the Contacts were sorted by Last Name, I am now more comfortable with First Name sort. Heck, when I want to call someone, I don't think "hey, let's call {insert last name}." I usually think "Hey, let's call {insert first name}". Possibly because I don't go around calling people by their last names usually.

But that's just me.
  9. JMH
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Sorting

That would be fine but when you have over 1300 contacts in your data base and want to add a Congressional directory it makes if very difficult. I know every member of Congress by their last name but not their first.

I go back to my original point. Suppose you picked up a phone book in a city and they were sorted by first name. My guess is you would put it down and try and find the number some other way.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Hey, I said it was "just me".

And I'm not as popular as you are, apparently. I've got 17 contacts in my phone.

Thanks for making me feel even smaller. I think I'll go sit in my dark basement and let the rats gnaw at my bare feet.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links