DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: GPS Navigation just a little off...

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    AnurajBhatt
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic

GPS Navigation just a little off...

I'm a huge fan of the GPS on the Droid, because I am terrible with directions. Navigation has been working great until the last couple of days, where it consistently shows me driving on side streets and frontage roads even when I am on major streets. Basically, it shows me as being a little to the left of where I really am no matter what direction I'm going. Anyone encounter this problem?

I searched the forum and I read a couple of threads about peoples' GPSs being inaccurate, or the route not being the quickest, and I saw that using GPA Status and spinning the phone and doing figure 8s helps. No luck for me though. Any input would be very appreciated.

-Raj
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    It's more likely Google's Maps than the GPS... Unfortunately there aren't any other maps that I know of (i.e. TomTom) yet to compare them too. I know that here in my area it's the maps though, because it's ALWAYS/consistently inaccurate (i.e. it will always show me in the exact same place, just wrong on the map). When I go to other areas of Nashville it's DEAD ON, thus furthering my belief it's the Maps and not the GPS unit itself. Hopefully TomTom will release a Android version soon.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X/EVO 3D/GTab 10.1/GNex
    Quote Originally Posted by anuraj1 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the GPS on the Droid, because I am terrible with directions. Navigation has been working great until the last couple of days, where it consistently shows me driving on side streets and frontage roads even when I am on major streets. Basically, it shows me as being a little to the left of where I really am no matter what direction I'm going. Anyone encounter this problem?

I searched the forum and I read a couple of threads about peoples' GPSs being inaccurate, or the route not being the quickest, and I saw that using GPA Status and spinning the phone and doing figure 8s helps. No luck for me though. Any input would be very appreciated.

-Raj
    it's not just the Droid. there were some sporadic issues with the system in general starting sunday night according to the Air Force Space Command.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    You're not alone. I was in Los Angeles over Christmas break for about a week. Every day I used Google Maps to find my way back to the hotel from wherever I had gone and it will tell me to turn right in to a fenced yard. It said my destination was on the right. But my hotel was actually on the left side of the street. I learned early on not to believe everything I hear. Oh, and my boyfriend and I dubbed the voice that gives you the navigating directions "Shirley" because we both said in union "Surely, this can't be freakin' right!"
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    AnurajBhatt
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by cj100570 View Post
    it's not just the Droid. there were some sporadic issues with the system in general starting sunday night according to the Air Force Space Command.
    Weird, so every GPS unit was sporadically affected? That sounds like a major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by OyVOid View Post
    Oh, and my boyfriend and I dubbed the voice that gives you the navigating directions "Shirley" because we both said in union "Surely, this can't be freakin' right!"
    That's hilarious hahaha
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    hahaha I've had that problem with my regular GPS once in awhile. I noticed it got worse as the maps got more out of date on that.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Luckily, it was dead on accurate today for a 10 hour trip.

Links