DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any recourse after having your "unlimited" data plan throttled?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Any recourse after having your "unlimited" data plan throttled?

I have the Samsung Fascinate and FINALLY received the GB update yesterday. It addresses all the problems I had with the phone (which were a lot, faulty GPS, horrible signal anywhere and everywhere and more) but I noticed my data speeds were absolutely horrible even though my signal was easily 2-3 times better than before (went from rarely even having 1 bar to having 4/5 bars almost all the time). This was confirmed by my speedtest app, which showed speeds worse than dialup.

I thought it had to do with the update but then remembered that VZW had recently started throttling high data customers and called to see if I fell into this category. Sure enough, I did. I asked him how long it would be throttled and the guy said no longer than 24 hours. That didn't sound right to me so I read their policy online and it states that the billing cycle AFTER the next one I will regain my full speed. This is unacceptable to me. I am supposed to have an unlimited 3g plan and my speeds are nowhere near 3g speeds. I've been dealing with absolutely horrendous signal for the past 9 months with this phone, and the day I am finally able to take full advantage of my speeds with a good signal they throttle me to less than 1% of what I was before. My download speed was 12k on the speedtest app.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Is there any recourse here? I don't mind to not use so much data, I just recently watched 3 seasons of Breaking Bad on my phone while at work, I'm sure this had something to do with the high data usage, but without any kind of warning I didn't realize I was approaching whatever limit they have set. If my 3g speed is going to be throttled for the next 2 months I'm going to switch carriers, plain and simple. I've had way too many problems with the Fascinate anyway, and now that they finally addressed most of them I can't even take full advantage of it with my speed being crippled.
  2. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    how much data did you use exactly? And yes watching Breaking Bad on your phone will rack up data, quickly. If anything try to work it out with Verizon saying it was just that one spike in data usage because of netflix.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    How much did you use? Apparently you are in the top 5% of data users. There must be more to it than watching some movies or series.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The magic way to make all your woes with Verizon go away is to tell them your considering switching carriers because the 3G speed is so horrible, and tell them your paying for an unlimited data plan so you should be able to take advantage of that while using netflix, a feature on the phone that they advertise.
    Running SS5.6/Cushzero 2.3.7
    Loving the Gingerbread deliciousness
    O/C 1.1 Ghz Chevy low voltage kernal.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Liked
    117 times
    Phone
    DROID X --> Nexus Prime
    Yeah, doesn't sound right that they would throttle you for using Netflix which they advertise. How much did you use?

Swyped and sent through the interwebz directly to you from somewhere and some device that doesn't concern you!
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity92c View Post
    I have the Samsung Fascinate and FINALLY received the GB update yesterday. It addresses all the problems I had with the phone (which were a lot, faulty GPS, horrible signal anywhere and everywhere and more) but I noticed my data speeds were absolutely horrible even though my signal was easily 2-3 times better than before (went from rarely even having 1 bar to having 4/5 bars almost all the time). This was confirmed by my speedtest app, which showed speeds worse than dialup.

I thought it had to do with the update but then remembered that VZW had recently started throttling high data customers and called to see if I fell into this category. Sure enough, I did. I asked him how long it would be throttled and the guy said no longer than 24 hours. That didn't sound right to me so I read their policy online and it states that the billing cycle AFTER the next one I will regain my full speed. This is unacceptable to me. I am supposed to have an unlimited 3g plan and my speeds are nowhere near 3g speeds. I've been dealing with absolutely horrendous signal for the past 9 months with this phone, and the day I am finally able to take full advantage of my speeds with a good signal they throttle me to less than 1% of what I was before. My download speed was 12k on the speedtest app.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Is there any recourse here? I don't mind to not use so much data, I just recently watched 3 seasons of Breaking Bad on my phone while at work, I'm sure this had something to do with the high data usage, but without any kind of warning I didn't realize I was approaching whatever limit they have set. If my 3g speed is going to be throttled for the next 2 months I'm going to switch carriers, plain and simple. I've had way too many problems with the Fascinate anyway, and now that they finally addressed most of them I can't even take full advantage of it with my speed being crippled.
    How about getting a wireless router for your office, that's what I did, now as soon as I hit the office parking lot my WiFi connects, I got a buffalo router for $40 from Amazon.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    how much data did you use exactly? And yes watching Breaking Bad on your phone will rack up data, quickly. If anything try to work it out with Verizon saying it was just that one spike in data usage because of netflix.
    They did not cut off his data speed for good, just till his next billing cycle starts, then he should be good as new, and when he starts to go crazy on the data again they will slow him down, simple as that, I have unlimited since I purchased my Incredible, and I have never gone over 2 gigs a month, WiFi at home and WiFi at work, also WiFi at all my family residences, only time I am on 3G is when I am on the road.

8. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69 View Post
    They did not cut off his data speed for good, just till his next billing cycle starts, then he should be good as new, and when he starts to go crazy on the data again they will slow him down, simple as that, I have unlimited since I purchased my Incredible, and I have never gone over 2 gigs a month, WiFi at home and WiFi at work, also WiFi at all my family residences, only time I am on 3G is when I am on the road.

Oh no I understand that part. I'm just saying he might be able to work out something with Verizon to possibly get his temporary hold taken off sooner. I mean one explained spike in data might warrant an early release from a hold.

Plus it sounds like he just got the chance to take full advantage of his phone, doesn't hurt to try.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69 View Post

Actually, according to Verizon's stated policy, if you are throttled for being a heavy user, you will be throttled for the remainder of the current billing cycle, plus all of the next billing cycle. Also, they claim that the throttling policy only applies to 3G users. If you are using a Verizon LTE phone, you will not be throttled. This is also different from AT&T's policy. Apparently AT&T will throttle both 3G/HSPA+ and LTE users. When you get throttled appears to depend on the market. There has been people reporting that AT&T has been sending throttle warnings to them in NYC and Atlanta when they went above 2 GB.
  10. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    Actually, according to Verizon's stated policy, if you are throttled for being a heavy user, you will be throttled for the remainder of the current billing cycle, plus all of the next billing cycle. Also, they claim that the throttling policy only applies to 3G users. If you are using a Verizon LTE phone, you will not be throttled. This is also different from AT&T's policy. Apparently AT&T will throttle both 3G/HSPA+ and LTE users. When you get throttled appears to depend on the market. There has been people reporting that AT&T has been sending throttle warnings to them in NYC and Atlanta when they went above 2 GB.
    Well that sucks

If I was OP, I would definitely go into Verizon and see if I can talk to them about lifting it. Worth a shot
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links