DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Launchers and Widgets

1. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member

Question Multiple Launchers and Widgets

I understand that widgets can use power; especially the ones that update (news, weather, etc.).

What I'm curious about is when you have launchers like Go Launcher and Launcher Pro Plus. If you have them both, what is happening to the widgets that are on the launcher you're not using (including the stock launcher). Are those widgets drawing power to update, even though you aren't seeing them? Should you delete all widgets, except for the launcher you're currently using?
  2. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    To my understanding and experimenting, you can only run one launcher at a time.

From what I experimented with also, if you have certain widgets on one launcher it will stay in that launcher. So you can switch it up every now and then
  3. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Thank you, that part I get. However here's an example:

I have Beautiful Widgets, a news widget and the Facebook widget running on my stock launcher. All these widgets are updating to a various degree. I decide to try Go Launcher and when I set it up I add the same widgets to that launcher. I then want to try Launcher Pro Plus and I put the same 3 widgets on it as well. I've added an app like Home Switcher to go to each one.

OK, by the time I'm finished, I have 3 Beautiful Widgets installed, as well as 3 news widgets and 3 Facebook widgets. Are all 3 of each running, meaning I have 9 data polling widgets, or just the 3 on the launcher I'm on?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post

I have Beautiful Widgets, a news widget and the Facebook widget running on my stock launcher. All these widgets are updating to a various degree. I decide to try Go Launcher and when I set it up I add the same widgets to that launcher. I then want to try Launcher Pro Plus and I put the same 3 widgets on it as well. I've added an app like Home Switcher to go to each one.

OK, by the time I'm finished, I have 3 Beautiful Widgets installed, as well as 3 news widgets and 3 Facebook widgets. Are all 3 of each running, meaning I have 9 data polling widgets, or just the 3 on the launcher I'm on?
    I second that answer. I do the same.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Yeah, with a more powerful phone I may run multiple launchers. Will enable me to have a "work" and "home" set-up. Alternatively I might go with like 3 launchers and have one for news/stocks, another for entertainment, etc...Also a cheap way to get more than the standard 7-9 screens most launchers have. Just not sure how switching would work, since I like the home button to take me back to my default screen rather than prompt me for which launcher to use.

Only drawback is I'm not sure how multiple launchers and widgets work. I assume if a launcher is not "active", then neither are the widgets.

But ultimately I'll probably just get around all that with Sweeterhome where shortcut "buttons" can create like sub-screens. Unfortunately seems like the developer has given up on it.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid
    On days I've gone to theme parks and couldn't power all day.... I set up a stock home launcher with nothing but shortcuts I need. Camera, video, text. That way, it saves power, I have quicl access to the apps I need and it saves the battery. No widgets, just shortcuts and just 1 screen

sent from my Droid Bionic 3 using a flux capacitor and tapatalk, while driving 88 mph.... thanks Doc, for making texting and driving so easy.
  7. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post

Whatever launcher you currently use, that's what you'll see.

Whether that lags the phone or not, I'm not sure. Considering you'd be using only one of the 3 launchers at a time, the other 2 shouldn't take up any resources, but again not sure.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I'm pretty sure other launchers take up memory, at least the stock one. I've always had to delete it when I flash a rom because I've found it does use up ram/resources.

The newer phones with 1gig of memory shouldn't have a problem though. Not sure what stock ICS will do as far as min ram free, but I'd be good to go if the D1 had double it's current (about 130?). So in theory the newer phones could handle 3 loaded-up launchers, though I'm not sure about battery (in my experience, widgets really don't drain the battery hardly at all, 2% total max).
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    This is a good question being asked in this thread. Looking forward to more responses.

Maybe some developers with the last word on this will chime in?
  10. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Considering you'd be using only one of the 3 launchers at a time, the other 2 shouldn't take up any resources, but again not sure.
    Thats what I'm thinking. Since the other launchers arent running, the apps for it wouldnt be running either. But I never ran more than one launcher. One way to check is by going to your running apps and see what running. If you're using LauncherPro and not GoLauncher, but GoLauncher is in the list of running apps, then I was say it could be using whatever apps are associated with GoLauncher.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links