DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Various News Widgets?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Various News Widgets?

I've been looking for news widgets for different categroies, I'm not overly picky about how it works, but ideally I'd just like the widget to be able to cycle between headlines (rather than just display 1) and not be incredibly small.

Anyway I'm looking for a few different widgets (or one that contains all/some that I could switch between)

1. A sports NEWS widget - for the life of me I cannot find a decent one.
    2. A current news widget - something with just the daily headlines in the US
    3. A tech news widget - I'm a big fan of the Engadget site and their format, anything like that would be great.
    4. A gaming news widget - specifically I'm a pc and ps3 gamer, so any news for those systems would be great.

Thanks in advance for ANY help, I've just been unable to satisfy any of those widget needs.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    2.1 Genie Widget. Search for it in the forums. It's a great news widget that 'scrolls' headlines. Has settings for US, World, Tech, Health, Sports, etc all in one widget
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    246 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    I agree with Martin, for scrolling news, nothing beats the 2.1 News and Weather widget. And it updates all the time. I also have a widget for Huffington Post and FoxNews....who says I'm not fair and balanced.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    I agree with Martin, for scrolling news, nothing beats the 2.1 News and Weather widget. And it updates all the time. I also have a widget for Huffington Post and FoxNews....who says I'm not fair and balanced.
    I just did the 2.1 update and can't seem to get the weather portion to work. Am I doing something wrong or just missing something?
    Thanks!
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    246 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmdj232 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    I just did the 2.1 update and can't seem to get the weather portion to work. Am I doing something wrong or just missing something?
    Thanks!
    Did you tap on the widget and go to weather and set it up?
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I apologize....I should have been more clear. I can set it up manually but the setting for automatically determining the location feature doesn't seem to work. If I type in my zip code it works ok. I'm concerned about when I'm not home
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Tech buzz is an awesome widget for "tech" stuff lol
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    I have the 2.1 Genie set to 'Use my location' in Weather settings and I have had no problem.
    Make sure that in your phone settings > location & security settings and make sure 'Use wireless networks' or 'Use GPS satellites' is enabled.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    I have the 2.1 Genie set to 'Use my location' in Weather settings and I have had no problem.

Make sure that in your phone settings > location & security settings and make sure 'Use wireless networks' or 'Use GPS satellites' is enabled.
    That was it!....I forgot to re-check those options after I did the update!....Thanks for the reminder!....It's working flawlessly now!

Links