DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosting cell reception in the home

1. Junior Droid
    Member #

Boosting cell reception in the home

We took the big step of shutting of our landline yesterday. Woth the cost of of line and long distance it was costing us about $50 a month.

We live in a remote area in Northern Mi with OK servoce but I would like a stronger signal do any of you have some thoughts on what to do.

Cheers
    Mike

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid A855
    Wilson boosters are the best that I have seen so far. They run around three to four hundred but you just have to justify the cost by what you are going to save on having your landline cut off. I have one in my house where outside we don't give enough signal to make a call but in the house we get three bars so they work.
    You know you should look for the humor in everything because you look much sexier when you smile!!!
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerguy1 View Post
    We took the big step of shutting of our landline yesterday. Woth the cost of of line and long distance it was costing us about $50 a month.

We live in a remote area in Northern Mi with OK servoce but I would like a stronger signal do any of you have some thoughts on what to do.

Cheers
    Mike
    if you have a broadband internet connection get the verizon in home network extender
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon
    How does that vz network extender work? If it requires broadband I'm assuming it has your phone use voip or at least it converts your normal cell signal into voip to put into the vz network.

Honestly with how highly they seem to regard their network coverage, I would think they would give heavy discounts on those extenders. they are expensive.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by LrdElderon View Post
    How does that vz network extender work? If it requires broadband I'm assuming it has your phone use voip or at least it converts your normal cell signal into voip to put into the vz network.

Honestly with how highly they seem to regard their network coverage, I would think they would give heavy discounts on those extenders. they are expensive.
    It is a miniature (low strength) cell phone tower. It simply allows your phone to connect to it rather than an external antenna and then sends the info to VZW network via your ISP. So it will work with all VZW phones.

That's relative... the OP is spending $50/month on the phone, so this would pay for itself in 5 months, that's not really expensive consider the saving over a two year contract. You also have to remember that they are ONLY charging for the hardware (i.e. they are no additional usage fees associate with it). So you have to figure that SEVERAL people are likely to do as the OP (i.e. cancel home service and go strictly cell) so the added network load(s) that this will bring need to be compensated for. Also keep in mind that 'Coverage Maps' are ONLY ever an estimate (and a loose one at that) of OUTDOOR coverage. Carriers make NO claims or guarantees of indoor coverage and MANY people see decreased signals within their homes.

It's also still WAY cheaper than Skype or any other VIOP service (e.g. through your cable company) and has the added convenience of allowing you to truly have only 1 number.
    Last edited by KZIWarrior; 01-23-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Yeah, we're looking into this as well. The only reason we are still keeping our land line is that the home theater is in the basement, and I don't have to tell people what kind of signal you can get in a basement. So the land line is there in case we need/want to call someone without going upstairs.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post

It is a miniature (low strength) cell phone tower. It simply allows your phone to connect to it rather than an external antenna and then sends the info to VZW network via your ISP. So it will work with all VZW phones.

That's relative... the OP is spending $50/month on the phone, so this would pay for itself in 5 months, that's not really expensive consider the saving over a two year contract. You also have to remember that they are ONLY charging for the hardware (i.e. they are no additional usage fees associate with it). So you have to figure that SEVERAL people are likely to do as the OP (i.e. cancel home service and go strictly cell) so the added network load(s) that this will bring need to be compensated for. Also keep in mind that 'Coverage Maps' are ONLY ever an estimate (and a loose one at that) of OUTDOOR coverage. Carriers make NO claims or guarantees of indoor coverage and MANY people see decreased signals within their homes.

It's also still WAY cheaper than Skype or any other VIOP service (e.g. through your cable company) and has the added convenience of allowing you to truly have only 1 number.
    ahhh ok.

Well I understand what you're saying, but I still think vz should subsidize the cost a little bit, It's using your data connection to work after all. plus they should factor in how much money that vz will make itself because they have a customer that will keep their 2 year or whatever contract instead of dumping it since they have no reception at home...etc. I'm too lazy to do math right now, but it would be interesting to see a chart of who really wins out. Does the customer win by paying for it and canceling their landline, or would vz win out just as much if they supplied it for free and as a result kept a customer for 2+ posssibly more years because they now have reception and won't have to cancel. I think vz would make quite a bit even if they subsidized it. It's cheaper then building a new tower hehe
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    ahhh ok.

Well I understand what you're saying, but I still think vz should subsidize the cost a little bit, It's using your data connection to work after all. plus they should factor in how much money that vz will make itself because they have a customer that will keep their 2 year or whatever contract instead of dumping it since they have no reception at home...etc. I'm too lazy to do math right now, but it would be interesting to see a chart of who really wins out. Does the customer win by paying for it and canceling their landline, or would vz win out just as much if they supplied it for free and as a result kept a customer for 2+ posssibly more years because they now have reception and won't have to cancel. I think vz would make quite a bit even if they subsidized it. It's cheaper then building a new tower hehe
    Considering this is brand new I would say it is a HEAVILY subsided product at the moment. When you consider the cost(s) they spent in R&D I doubt they are really making any money with this (again also when considering the extra traffic they will incur on their systems). Don't be surprised to see the price come down after a year or so. And I wouldn't be surprised if 'new' customers could get it a little cheap if they pressed CS within their first 30 days.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I have read some reviews where people say that they got the extender for as cheap as $100, some even said they got it for free.

im sure if you talk to customer service and complain that in and around your home you get very poor reception you can get some kind of discount on the extender.

where i live there is very poor verizon reception in the whole neighborhood despite being in close proximity of 3 different towers(verizon actually sent a tech out to test the signal in the area and confirmed it to be a dead zone). my roommate actually got out of his verizon contract early with out the termination fee because of this and got himself an iphone. im sure i could bring that up and make them give me a good discount. if i could get the extender for $100, i will buy it.
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by antyoo View Post
    I have read some reviews where people say that they got the extender for as cheap as $100, some even said they got it for free.

im sure if you talk to customer service and complain that in and around your home you get very poor reception you can get some kind of discount on the extender.

where i live there is very poor verizon reception in the whole neighborhood despite being in close proximity of 3 different towers(verizon actually sent a tech out to test the signal in the area and confirmed it to be a dead zone). my roommate actually got out of his verizon contract early with out the termination fee because of this and got himself an iphone. im sure i could bring that up and make them give me a good discount. if i could get the extender for $100, i will buy it.
    I got a VZW Network Extender (NE) the first week they became available. My guess it was around April, 2008 while I was still working for VZW. I got no price break and paid $249.99 - it was absolutely the best investment I made to have reliable coverage in our house which was in a very marginal fringe area. Some people were able to get their Network Extender for $50 off at one point, but for the most part, VZW will not bartar pricing on the NE. All it takes is you to have a view of satellites from your window in your house. There's a stock antenna on the NE, but if you cannot get it close to a window, there's quite a long wire extension you can put on and run it to a window to find satellites. You have basically 2 connections, the power connector and a wire going to the router in your home. It is so easy a Caveman can do it. For the O.P. - this is absolutely highly recommended by me personally to invest in one.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links