DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance Policy for VZW & Asurion

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Let's say you void your warranty on the phone (ex. by rooting)
    Will your claim be denied? Should you destroy the phone more if you have voided the software warranty.

(These are hypothetical questions by the way)
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    been debating if i want to keep the asurion. with the $89 deductible, it seems high. after having it for a yr anyways, you can buy the phone at non full price. probably the $199. so basically for $100 more, you get a brand new one. i dunno..i need to break down the math.

89 is excessive. Last year when I replaced my Omnia, it was 50.
    When you mentioned $50, it jogged my memory that it did use to be cheaper than it is now. I called and the rep gave me some crap about devices being more advanced than it used to be, etc.

I do agree, it is a bit excessive, especially when it hasn't always been that price.

But I think in the event of an accident I would rather play $89 than $400-500. >.<
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musturd View Post
    Let's say you void your warranty on the phone (ex. by rooting)
    Will your claim be denied? Should you destroy the phone more if you have voided the software warranty.

(These are hypothetical questions by the way)
    I am going to edit my original post to include these findings, but let me give you what I found out.

I called Asurion back and asked them specifically: If I were to put a customized operating system onto my phone, knowing it will void the phones manufacturer warranty, and it 'bricked' my phone, am I able to file a claim and have the device replaced through the insurance?

The rep informed me that yes, I can file a claim because the phone is damaged(ie: not in working condition). He then went onto say that when they replace the device, they will not replace whatever modifications I have done to the device. His example went like this: if I added a non-removable case to my phone, they would replace the phone but not the casing, etc.

Hope that helps.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    been debating if i want to keep the asurion. with the $89 deductible, it seems high. after having it for a yr anyways, you can buy the phone at non full price. probably the $199. so basically for $100 more, you get a brand new one. i dunno..i need to break down the math.

$89 is cheap for this type of device. AT&T charged me $100 for my old (outdated) Tilt and I've heard that for newer Smartphones it's up to $125.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    _Flomaster
    Phone
    DROOOOOOOOOOOiid
    Premium Member
    only reason I have a DROID is because I paid $99 for it had it been $199 out of pocket I honestly wouldn't have one right now. so $89 for a replacement is not in everyone's budget. I know if I broke mine tomorrow I wouldn't not be able to replace mine right away....

-=Jason=-
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droidzilla
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post

$89 is cheap for this type of device. AT&T charged me $100 for my old (outdated) Tilt and I've heard that for newer Smartphones it's up to $125.

You gotta see that Asurion was making bank back when it was 50 for the deductible. Phones haven't really become more expensive over time. I recall even back when phones were still analog, they cost quite a bit. They aren't suddenly more costly now. If anything, they are less costly due to improved manufacturing technology.

So for them to raise the deductible to 89 is kind of harsh, but as nerdbox mentioned above, better than paying retail. Still irks me, but what can ya do? I'm one of those sorry saps that ends up using insurance because he breaks his phones
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post

You gotta see that Asurion was making bank back when it was 50 for the deductible. Phones haven't really become more expensive over time. I recall even back when phones were still analog, they cost quite a bit. They aren't suddenly more costly now. If anything, they are less costly due to improved manufacturing technology.

So for them to raise the deductible to 89 is kind of harsh, but as nerdbox mentioned above, better than paying retail. Still irks me, but what can ya do? I'm one of those sorry saps that ends up using insurance because he breaks his phones
    I'm right there with you.

No matter how hard I try to keep it safe: cases, screen covers, locked vaults... I still manage to do damage.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    I have had insurance on my line since 2005. When I went to upgrade my Droid, the Verizon rep said that I was grandfathered in to the cheaper insurance, even though I now have an advanced device. So I get replacements for $50.00 and only pay $4.99 a month!
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
    I have had insurance on my line since 2005. When I went to upgrade my Droid, the Verizon rep said that I was grandfathered in to the cheaper insurance, even though I now have an advanced device. So I get replacements for $50.00 and only pay $4.99 a month!
    Okay, I think we have a lynching on our hands....
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droidzilla
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Hmmmm, guess I better check my bill
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Links