DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance Policy for VZW & Asurion

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    ok so i called statefarm and they said the minimum is $650 for a phone to be insured. the droid is only $550 so they can't insure it. is my agent bs'ing me? how did you go about getting your phone insured thru state farm?
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    ok so i called statefarm and they said the minimum is $650 for a phone to be insured. the droid is only $550 so they can't insure it. is my agent bs'ing me? how did you go about getting your phone insured thru state farm?
    I didn't get it insured yet, but the two agents I called said it was $500 or more.

This is interesting. Did you call another local agent and compare prices?
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thank You for the info...
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    As a side not I'd like to inform you all if you happent o buy a phone from wirefly.com, they usually have phones for $50-100 cheaper than 1st party dealers, DO NOTbuy the insurance they advertise. It is a company called MDPA or Mobile Device Protection Association. It sems like a great deal at first because it's only $50 upfront per year and you can make up to 3 claims in a year with ZERO deductible. However dealing with them is an absolute nightmare and I would go with Asurion for $50/year and $89 deductibles a million times over. You can't even speak to anyone on the phone regarding a claim. All issues regarding claims are dealt with via an online interface(not live btw). You just drop a message and tell them what's wrong and some hours later you get a response stretching out what can be taken care of in minutes on the phone to days, weeks, etc.. My phone was stolen and it took weeks for them to process my claim and at near the end they tried to question me as to why the phone was still active? Because how the hell would I know if it was stolen right? Right. So anyway After I got a replacement droid it went defective 3 days later. Again it took weeks to process this claim and again the customer service reps are absolutely atrocious with what they say to you. I had to threaten them with Better Business Bureau complaints(which I did file and after being contacted by the BBB they LIED in their response). They then told me they would replace the phone again and cancel my account and I'll have to find insurance elsewhere. I just now got my 3rd Droid on this past Friday and am happily enjoying it. However at this point I've been without a phone for longer than I've had my account with verizon as I've only had my own VZW account since I got the droid in mid-November. So, just wanted to share that experience and let you guys know to stay far far away. You can google the company as well and check their complaints they have against them on the BBB site.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawningmoment View Post
    My phone was stolen and it took weeks for them to process my claim and at near the end they tried to question me as to why the phone was still active? Because how the hell would I know if it was stolen right? Right.

The first thing you should do when you phone gets stolen is to contact Verizon Customer Care and have them suspend your service so you don't receive additional charges for things you didn't purchase/use.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdbox08 View Post
    My phone was stolen and it took weeks for them to process my claim and at near the end they tried to question me as to why the phone was still active? Because how the hell would I know if it was stolen right? Right.

The first thing you should do when you phone gets stolen is to contact Verizon Customer Care and have them suspend your service so you don't receive additional charges for things you didn't purchase/use.

I did report it stolen immediately. I don't know how MDP figured the phone was still being used. They may have pulled that one out of their ass. The whole operation is pretty shady.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    I didn't get it insured yet, but the two agents I called said it was $500 or more.

This is interesting. Did you call another local agent and compare prices?
    yeah, i gotta call another agent. i'll try that this week.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Funny thing is, everyone keeps saying that modding your phone voids warranty. Well all I saw was that it protects accidental damage. Well wouldn't bricking your phone be considered accidental damage?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.

I did report it stolen immediately. I don't know how MDP figured the phone was still being used. They may have pulled that one out of their ass. The whole operation is pretty shady.
    Well, that's odd. I don't see how the insurance company would even know your phone was active, especially if they aren't affiliated with Verizon in any way. But I would have though Verizon would have suspended services if you reported it stolen. I just thought had you done that you would know that it wasn't active.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
    Funny thing is, everyone keeps saying that modding your phone voids warranty. Well all I saw was that it protects accidental damage. Well wouldn't bricking your phone be considered accidental damage?
    There is varied opinions on this.

I asked the same question to at least two different people at each insurance company and got two different answers from both.

So I think you have a 50/50 shot, but that's just from what I heard, not because I tried.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Links