DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for down the future...

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One

A question for down the future...

OK, I'll probably get flamed for asking this, but it's a bit of a different scenario than is usually being asked about, so here goes:

I'm perfectly happy paying the $30 for the data plan for the 2 year term of my contract. After the term is up, I can see myself upgrading to a new phone and giving my Droid to my wife. While I understand that the Droid is a data-centric phone, my wife has absolutely NO USE for anything besides the phone functionality (she's a S.A.H.M.).

My question is; will I have to continue to pay for the data package at that point, and why? I assume that I will have to, per Verizon's terms, but I would think that if the phone is out of contract, then the data plan shouldn't be a requirement? Like I mentioned above, I realize that the Droid is data-centric, but data is not a necessity for simply making/receiving calls.

I'm only asking right now because the answer may help to determine which (if any) phone we get for her in the next month or so when her NE2 is up.
    -Adam
    Droidist since 12/1/09
    HTC One

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Yes, you will. The Droid is classified by VZW as a Smart Phone and thus you will need to have the $29.99 data plan on your account.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone VF Germany
    Premium Member
    Hey,

one thing i learned so far from buying a lot of phones is:
    sit down and WRITE DOWN what you really actually do with the phone.
    Then take that list to your provider and ask him for advise.

Well on your scenario, if your girls doesnt use ANY data connections, why pay it then.
    Use the phone just for calls and SMS. But i see some problems there. the contacts
    and the calendar. Both is synched via Dataconnection. So she would have to do that via WiFi,
    and then this should work!

Tigger
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    yeah tigger is right, BUT so is liquidzoo.. it COULD work, but verizon WILL make you pay for the data plan anyway..
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
    Yes, you will. The Droid is classified by VZW as a Smart Phone and thus you will need to have the $29.99 data plan on your account.
    I understand the classification as a Smart Phone (I read the terms of my contract), however my question is regarding the "out of contract" requirements. Do you know for a fact that the "out of contract" requirements are the same as the "in contract" requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by RinTinTigger View Post
    Hey,

Well on your scenario, if your girls doesnt use ANY data connections, why pay it then.
    Use the phone just for calls and SMS. But i see some problems there. the contacts
    and the calendar. Both is synched via Dataconnection. So she would have to do that via WiFi,

Tigger
    That's my plan exactly, however if I have to pay for data just to activate the phone, it won't be worth it.
    -Adam
    Droidist since 12/1/09
    HTC One
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone VF Germany
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNTNBKR View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RinTinTigger View Post
    Hey,

Tigger
    That's my plan exactly, however if I have to pay for data just to activate the phone, it won't be worth it.
    I dont think you have to. a simple prepaid SIM would give you the test.
    But, as SAM mentioned...maybe Verzon branded the OS to force it to use data plan. then just sell it and get another Phone!
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Twitter
    MJZ2112
    Phone
    MotoX baby!
    VZW changes its requirements at least twice a year... so we really have no clue what they'll demand 2 years from now.

That being said, I'm sure by the time we all upgrade our Droids a company like MetroPCS or one of the others out there will have some sort of "everything" plan and the wonderful hackers will have figured out a way to flash the Droid to that network.

Problem solved
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Wheels View Post
    VZW changes its requirements at least twice a year... so we really have no clue what they'll demand 2 years from now.

That being said, I'm sure by the time we all upgrade our Droids a company like MetroPCS or one of the others out there will have some sort of "everything" plan and the wonderful hackers will have figured out a way to flash the Droid to that network.

Problem solved
    Good point...whether it is or isn't possible RIGHT NOW means virtually squat two years from now.

Ah well... I guess I'll just get her a cheap dumb phone for her NE2.
    -Adam
    Droidist since 12/1/09
    HTC One
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Wheels View Post

Problem solved
    Good point...whether it is or isn't possible RIGHT NOW means virtually squat two years from now.

Ah well... I guess I'll just get her a cheap dumb phone for her NE2.
    Good choice. I am about to get my husband a new dumb phone for his upgrade. He would be horrified to pay $30 for a data plan because he simply doesn't need one. I think he'd love some features of the Droid, but it would truly be a waste. As long as he can make and receive calls, and play a little yahtzee once in awhile, he's happy.
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I understand the classification as a Smart Phone (I read the terms of my contract), however my question is regarding the "out of contract" requirements. Do you know for a fact that the "out of contract" requirements are the same as the "in contract" requirements?
    Doesn't really matter if you're in or out of contract. Every carrier has terms of service that you have to agree to whether you're in or out of contract. Contracts generally exist as a method for carriers to recoup subsidies.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links