DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adv. Task Killer

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid

Adv. Task Killer

Every time I open this app. up I'm amazed @ the apps running. Some of the apps have no business running so I'm wondering how they get turned on in the 1st place? Is it because they're looking for updates or something??
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone VF Germany
    Premium Member
    Well,

a search on the forums would have brought you to this:
    You dont NEED a Task manager. Apps not used are "layed to sleep" by android.
    so they dont use up memory and can be brought up faster. you slow your system down by closing apps, that the system restarts anyways.

Just my 2 Cents!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X2
    RinTin: I agree with the reading before you post, philosophy, and I have also read those threads. I also still have a task killer, for when I need to force close apps.

However, in regards to PatrickJ's comment, the curiosity that I experience, is apps I have never used get started up. I would understand if it opened the apps that I used regularly, trying to make thigns runs smoother for me. An example would be Corporate Email. I have never opened it, have never set it up, yet on a fresh restart...there it is, running in the background.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    AOKP Rom - current build
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Yes this is true. I've had a few app managers and always began to notice problems from my phone after a couple days of use. Its better to just not worry about them running and allow Android to do its job....and it does a good job
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    The dude at the Verizon store put this app on my phone without my knowledge, and said I needed it. When I told him it wasn't needed, he argued with me.

When I open it, it does list the apps that can be shut down. However - and I am asking because I do not know - are those apps really running, or just listed with checkmarks that ATK can kill them if necessary.

Like myriad46 said, there are things in there that I have never used, but they are listed in ATK.

Again, perhaps it is just a list of the apps that are available to be "killed."?
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone VF Germany
    Premium Member
    Well, let me give you something to think.

Imagine you got Windows NEW to your PC. And then you just found out how to use a task-manager. Then you navigate there and kill some apps. Might be a good idea, if the system is not doing its work....but if it does, might be a bad idea...

Know what i mean?

tigger
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I used to force close all of my apps before I read the notices here. I've stop doing that and seen little to no difference in performance (good or bad). I keep Advanced Application Manager as a backup to kill anything I need and also for the uninstall gui.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X2
    The apps listed in ATK are "open" to an extent. Let's use an analogy...

Lets say you're sitting at your desk and you are working on several projects at the same time. You take the projects folder out of your file cabinet and open it on your desk. If you are writing an email, and need to reference one of your projects, you need only look at the open folder sitting on your desk, rather than having to walk over to the file cabinet, retrieve the folder and open it. Thus, saving you time. At some point, your desktop will fill up. So, in order to open an additional project folder, you would need to close and remove one that is already there, to make room.

Android works like this. The applications in the ATK list are like those projects that are laying open on your desk and the space on your desktop is your phone's RAM. It can keep several programs, "ready to go," in case you need them without affecting performance on your phone. And...if it needs the room, it will select a program to close so that everything runs smooth.

Make sense?

There is usually nothing wrong with letting ATK close programs, but in some cases, ti will not allow the programs to run like they should. Most programs that have tasks to do based on a schedule you set, will tell you to exclude them from the "kill" list in apps such as ATK. It's trial and error for some.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    AOKP Rom - current build
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Nice analogy, myriad.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    yeah thanks for the analogy.