DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Security

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro

Security

In honor of the DefCon hacking conference this weekend, I wanted to open a discussion about security measures you all use.

Android has been criticized by apple fanboys for its lack of security and I wanted to ask you all what extra security measures you take to protect personal data. Phones nowadays are mobile portals to secure data- bank accounts, dropbox files, passwords, gmail, everything. Security is paramount, but I haven't seen a real discussion yet.

So what security measures/ tips do you guys use to protect data? Please share anything you think would be helpful. (Eg lesser known integrated android security features, 3rd party apps, secure ssl tunnel how-to-guides) anything. It'd also be helpful if some of you hackers could share some of your mobile hacking tactics so we know what to avoid (I know you guys like a challenge anyway.)

Ill start, I use lookout mobile security, have a pattern lock, and have an alternate pattern for my go sms (keep gf from seeing sexts), im always looking to make my DP more secure, and hope this thread will help.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I used to be an avid enforcer of protecting ones self from all kinds of security problems, from phones, computers ect...

What I've realized now is, choosing the right banks/credit card companies is much more important to your security.

If anything happens that doesn't look like it's me doing it on my bank or my CC, they stop the payment call me at home and verify it.

You're bound to slip up at one point, the proper thing to do is make sure you're protected by the companies that have your money. That way they take the fall and not you.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Great point man. But apparently cybercriminals are no longer just looking at your financial information to monetize their hacking.

The value of the money in your accounts and CCs is obvious but what hackers are beginning to catch on to is the value of ALL information.

Imagine a scenario in which a hacker obtains a piece of sensitive information now, and then extorts you for money later when the time is right. (When you're about to get married, get your dream job, etc)

So are there any other measures you use to protect your personal data?

5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    2 step verification with gmail is a great way to keep your info safe
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    Thanks czerdrill! Exactly the kind of tip I hoped people would share.

Keep em coming folks!

7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    I don't use anything. I pay with PayPal and use reputable sites. I also don't care if someone intercepts my text messages since I have nothing to hide in that respect.

I had Lookout for 6 months, but it didn't do anything but annoy me and make my phone slower.

MIUI
    -Brad
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I don't bank with my phone. I don't Dl apps unless they are 4 stars and have a large amount of downloads.

I regularly clean my screen to not have my finger smudges showing my pattern lock.

I don't connect to WiFi if its not a known entity (mcdonalds, home work, certain businesses with WiFi that I know).

I don't cheat so no need to hide certain things of where I go on my phone from my spouse.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by gqiq View Post
    Android has been criticized by apple fanboys for its lack of security
    It's not just Apple fanboys. There has been criticism all around. Criticizing something doesn't make one a competitor's fanboy.

Links