DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100,000 Droids Sold 1st Weekend.

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Busy, but not insanely so....

I wandered by a Verzion store and picked up a Moto Droid last weekend. I was due for a new phone, anyway. I'd say they were busy, but not 100k type busy. Nothing like the iPhone hype/lines that AT&T has seen. We'll have to see how it goes. I can tell from work that there is a lot of interest, as mostly people around here prefer Verizon for the network (not price, but 3G), and when I pulled my Droid out to check the calendar, it pretty much stopped the meeting. Kind of surprised me, I guess a lot of people are paying attention. When I showed them what it did (and I've figured out, oh maybe 5%), after the meeting, sounded like a couple of more potential customers. It sure is a big improvement over my old WinMobile phone. I think probably what's holding back some sales is the moving-the-data over problem, these phones are getting to be like PCs, and if you're moving to Android 2.0 from a Treo or Blackberry or WinMobile, it can be tricky and take some time. I already had Gmail accounts and contacts, didn't really move anything serious, so for me, it took 5 minutes to get the basics moved over, and I think the salesperson was happy to just not have to deal with it.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @jbjtkbw00
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I'm the only person at my job that has a Droid as I tend to be an early adopter (for bragging rights of course). People are loving this phone. The most jealous, of course, are the iFanboys. They're so surprised at how well this phone works and what it does. I went head to head with one guy yesterday while we were at a Motivational Seminar. We raced to download emails and open attachments, demonstrated multitasking, and web browsing. He was a tough cookie, but in the end, gave props to the Droid. He's a slave to AT&T, so he won't be switching, but he thought the phone was cool nonetheless.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes as time goes on.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    There are three people in my department with a Droid now, myself included. In fact, the one person who's not a total geek and hasn't been following the droid for the past month was the first person to get one!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I don't think any Android phone will ever have the hype and lines that iPhone has. Apple is the best company in the world at doing that. However, I will say I was VERY impressed that a phone other than iPhone generated lines! The few people I knew that stood in line to get one said many people were not techies at all, just liked the Droid features.

With so many Android phones coming out the next few months, no one of them being that much better or worse than others and the Droid setting the bar pretty high already, I can't see any other phone drawing as much attention as this phone did, and of course no where near the hype of iPhone.
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Johns Phone
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    i read somewhere it was closer to 400k give me a few min ill see if i cant find the article...
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Atlanta still has them. I was at a verizon store at 7am to get mine. I didnt think it would sell out. I just didnt want to wait until I got off of work to get one.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    wsbsteven
    Phone
    Bionic, Xoom
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    I don't think any Android phone will ever have the hype and lines that iPhone has. Apple is the best company in the world at doing that.
    Apple seemed to have invented hype for sure.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Here in Middle Tennessee, at my store at least, only sold one on launch day, and that was to me. I think the sales picked up a bit since then, but it is encouraging to know so many sold elsewhere this past week, even if they didn't here.
    Twitter: @mitchelltaylor
    Google Talk: mitchell.droid@gmail.com
    Come join the fastest growing Social Group on Droidforums! Droid Hackers
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I picked mine up on launch day at the Best Buy in Reno, or Sparks to be more exact. It was 1:30PM and mine was the first one they had sold.
  10. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    I think the sales of the Droid will see an upswing as the holidays descend upon us. The phone has gotten great post release reviews as well as pre and it has lived up to the hype. I see the device doing very well over a steady period.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links