DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Droid Insurance? yay or nay?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Droid Insurance? yay or nay?

Hey guys, I am wondering if it is worth it to get Verizon's Total Equipment Coverage for $7.99/month? If I DON'T get it and my phone has a problem with it (i.e: a key isn't working, screen won't lit, etc), am I screwed? If I do get it and I want to replace it cause of some faulty issue, will I get a brand new one, not refurb? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    I just opted for the basic insurance, figuring most of that stuff will be covered during the normal warranty period. If something else goes out after that period...I'll accidentally dump the phone into my toilet or something and file a normal insurance claim.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid running Ultimate
    I get the one that covers damages and if it is stolen. If that is the one you reference then well worth it in my opion. Insurance is a must with todays smart phone IMHO...
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    The $7.99 one covers your warranty for months 13-24, that's the only difference between the $6 and the $7.99 plan. I figure if it's going to be a warranty issue, it will happen in the first year. I highly recommend having insurance at least for a few months because you just shelled out $299 for the phone and the price to get a replacement is a heck of a lot cheaper than having to pay full retail for another one if you don't have insurance and something happens to it.

You may or may not get a brand new phone with the insurance. Certified Like New phone's are not all that bad.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I note in the "similar threads" section of this thread, there are 5 threads with a total of more than 100 responses asking the same question.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by adlx21 View Post
    Hey guys, I am wondering if it is worth it to get Verizon's Total Equipment Coverage for $7.99/month? If I DON'T get it and my phone has a problem with it (i.e: a key isn't working, screen won't lit, etc), am I screwed? If I do get it and I want to replace it cause of some faulty issue, will I get a brand new one, not refurb? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Up to you. If you look at the costs it is cheaper to get the insurance than buy a new phone at retail/MSRP. So then you have to figure how 'likely' you are to need it. I for one have never had one of these phones last a full 2-yrs (or 18 months for early renewal). Now as for the manufactures/Verizons '1-yr warranty' that is only against defect, not "normal wear and tear" so MUCH of what you would claim for will be denied under that policy.

Quote Originally Posted by droidfannd View Post
    I just opted for the basic insurance, figuring most of that stuff will be covered during the normal warranty period. If something else goes out after that period...I'll accidentally dump the phone into my toilet or something and file a normal insurance claim.
    Basic insurance does NOT cover water damage so don't drop it in the toilet (there is a small 'water-damage' sensor in the phone, if it gets wet you're screwed). The insurance DOES however cover you throwing the phone against the wall... why, I have no idea, but it does.

IMHO YES the insurance is worth it.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid/Napoleon
    Somethings like hardware failure would be covered under the warranty but its stolen/damaged paying that deductible beats 500 for a new phone..btw you'd probably get a refurb, I don't see why so many are picky about new/refurb
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I got my insurance with state farm for 37.00 a year for 2 droids and no deductable, covers everything and the difference i wait 3days for a check insted of overnight fedx of replacement phone.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Basic insurance does NOT cover water damage so don't drop it in the toilet (there is a small 'water-damage' sensor in the phone, if it gets wet you're screwed). The insurance DOES however cover you throwing the phone against the wall... why, I have no idea, but it does.
    I would like to challenge you to show me where the VZW insurance does NOT cover for water damage. Truth is, it does cover water and physical damage. You might have this insurance confused with one that Best Buy offers...which is not the VZW one with Asurion.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    I would like to challenge you to show me where the VZW insurance does NOT cover for water damage. Truth is, it does cover water and physical damage. You might have this insurance confused with one that Best Buy offers...which is not the VZW one with Asurion.
    I'll check on that then. I knew they use Asurion which AT&T does and when you read the fine print it is stated that water damage is 'excluded' from coverage. And I can confirm because when I had a claim for my old Tilt they asked over the phone if their was water damage and specifically stated that if "their was evidence of water damage I would be charged the full value of the replacement." I'll see if I can find a copy of the VZW plan with them. I know there was a site I was looking at the other night, I'll repost when I get a definite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nedaroth View Post
    I got my insurance with state farm for 37.00 a year for 2 droids and no deductable, covers everything and the difference i wait 3days for a check insted of overnight fedx of replacement phone.
    WAAAAA???? Really? I wonder if Farmers does that, I'll have to call them. That would save a LOT of money. Thanks for the tip.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links