DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using a Droid as a Tethered Modem

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Using a Droid as a Tethered Modem

Anyone tried it? I was hoping to use my droid as a modem for some internet browsing today.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    You can use PDAnet to do that....

Just be aware you are violating the TOS with VZW by doing so....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    By using PDAnet, can Verizon tell that you are teathering without paying for it?
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superbee1970440 View Post
    By using PDAnet, can Verizon tell that you are teathering without paying for it?
    yes and no....if you are smart and use it for light surfing you'll be fine....
    Go Crazy....and you might pop up on their radar....

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    Cool, thanks for the info.

Sam
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Do they not already get enough out of us! Those vultures!!! What are the consequences? ?
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    Do they not already get enough out of us! Those vultures!!! What are the consequences? ?

It's an additional feature that when officially released for the Droid will required an additional fee... want to use it pay for it....

By going around the horn so to speak and using PDAnet they could charge yo u for all data that you Droid uses. All of it. since there is no way to tell what was phone use and what was PDAnet use...

Only the Skilled Survive

1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

8. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member

Have you tried this software

Thanks for supplying the PdaNet information. I googled and read the info on their site.

Have any of you used the software? If so, have you experienced any issues with you laptop? I'm not as worried about having to rebuild my phone. I would not wish to have to do so with my laptop.

Prior to retiring, I was an IT director and security was paramount!. Therefore, I'm cautious about any third party software that I install.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Mike
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Moto Droid

Lame.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    It's an additional feature that when officially released for the Droid will required an additional fee... want to use it pay for it....

By going around the horn so to speak and using PDAnet they could charge yo u for all data that you Droid uses. All of it. since there is no way to tell what was phone use and what was PDAnet use...
    I gotta roll with MRK on this one. Enough is enough. Charging us for tethering is just free money for them. These pricing structures are getting ridiculous. These companies are living in the past. Look at the music industry. They fought music downloads tooth and nail. Apple comes along and gives people what they want at a reasonable price and changes everything. Not too far in the future WiMax or something similar will be everywhere and you will pay one fee for access. Phone, TV, Internet, everything. The company that offers that will rule the world. Will they get sued by all the other companies who want to keep doing things the old way? Absolutely. Just like Apple has been. Right now this device is like the Napster. You say it's illegal and we must pay Verizon for every little thing they want. Why? Because they say so? Because you signed a contract? Have you read that contract? It basically says they can do whatever they want and you can't. Someone will say well just don't sign a contract, but that's not realistic when you need a cell phone and all the major carriers are dealing in the same backwards bully way. I'm not talking anarchy here. I work for the government! But there has to be a balance. This is a free market. And the market is speaking. We are speaking. Let the Droid revolution begin...
    Last edited by Griffin; 01-19-2010 at 07:17 AM.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you are feeling adventurous, you can install the sholes.info ROM on your Droid and use your Droid as a mobile Wifi hotspot. Assuming you have a wireless card on your laptop, you can connect through that without making any changes to your laptop's configuration.

You can download the ROM from Sholes. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links