DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading advice

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Upgrading advice

My OG Droid is just about ready to be put to sleep. I was all set on the Bionic, but the way things look it may not be here till September. I am eligible for an upgrade and live in 4G area.

I am torn if I need to upgrade within the next few weeks. Droid 3, Droid Charge or Galaxy s2? Should I go with the Charge because it is 4G or are the Droid 3 and GS2 faster because of the dual core processors. Would appreciate help because the next phone i get will be with me for the next two years.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Imo....4g phones right now are not worth it.

Wait a few weeks and see if galaxy or bionic come out.

But imo DROID 3 ftw

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid Razr M
    I'm due for an upgrade next week myself and have the original D1. I am pretty sure we won't get 4G anytime soon in my area, so I'm probably going to go with the Droid 3, as it looks great.

Since you have 4G, i'd hold out for the Bionic or galaxy.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    From what I have heard, the Galaxy will only be 3G. If it were 4G it would be a no brainer. Would the Galaxy or D3 be quicker with dual cores than the Droid Charge which is 4g but single core?
  6. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    I'm iin the same boat, eligible for upgrade, but I'm playing the waiting game.

The Droid 3 is pretty nice, good friend of mine has one and I like it, but it's a bit bulky and big coming from an Inc. The keyboard is real nice, but I don't know if I see myself using the physical keyboard like I did with the OG droid, no matter how improved it is.

The Droid Charge looks really cool and the specs aren't bad, but I was never a fan of Samsung UI, but I'm seriously considering it. I gotta get some hands on time with it.

The Galaxy2 I read is going to have 4g, but that's still a rumor.

Inc 2 is another phone i'm seriously considering as it's everything I have now, but better.

I'm just waiting on the Bionic to release so I can get some hands on time with that. Patience and a bit of research is going to pay off and I still love my phone so I'm in no rush. Just take your time, figure out the pros and cons for you with each phone and get some demo time with them all.

With all that being said, kinda disappointed that there aren't really any new phones that comes with a 3.7" screen. It's the perfect size imo, but seems the market is demanding at least a 4" screen :/

Best advice I can give...
    Last edited by dezymond; 07-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Bionic Since Day 1
    I am going to be faced with an immediate phone update. I am going to be getting a new job in about 2 weeks and i can pick my droid of choice. I am in 4G land.

I don't think I will be able to get the Bionic cause I have to make a decision too soon.

If you had to get a new phone next week, what would it be?
  8. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjoe View Post
    I am going to be faced with an immediate phone update. I am going to be getting a new job in about 2 weeks and i can pick my droid of choice. I am in 4G land.

I don't think I will be able to get the Bionic cause I have to make a decision too soon.

If you had to get a new phone next week, what would it be?
    How soon exactly? There is a 14-day return policy I believe, but you do have to pay a small re-stocking fee of $30 or so? (correct me if i'm wrong) If you're sure you want the Bionic then I think it's worth the small restocking fee if you HAVE to get it next week.

If I was going to be happy with a phone for the next 2 years by next week, I think I'd see myself going for the Inc 2. Very similar to my current phone, but better. However, I could see myself picking up a Droid 3....
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    The Bionic is still my #1 choice. However if I had to get something else, it would either be the Droid 3, SGS2 or the Droid Charge. TO be honest why get the GS2 if it is 3g and the Charge is 4g? It is also inexcusable for the Charge to have Froyo when Gingerbread has been out for a while now. When will the Charge receive its Gingerbread update?

What makes the situation suck is that Verizon/Motorola should just come out and give a date. Most of us here who want the Bionic would have no problems holding out if we knew how long we were holding out for. maybe they will surprise us and one day it will be ready for direct fill orders.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjr68 View Post
    I am torn if I need to upgrade within the next few weeks.
    Only you can determine if you need to upgrade. September is just over a few weeks away. Are you willing to settle over a week or a couple weeks difference?

Should I go with the Charge because it is 4G or are the Droid 3 and GS2 faster because of the dual core processors. Would appreciate help because the next phone i get will be with me for the next two years.
    Subjective, meaning that it depends on you. Does data speed or processing speed matter more? Keep in mind that dual core does not yield processing improvements in all cases.

TO be honest why get the GS2 if it is 3g and the Charge is 4g?
    It's not a matter of honesty versus lying. It's a matter of whether or not 4G is a must have for you. It's yet another subjective matter. Never assume your preferences are universal.

It is also inexcusable for the Charge to have Froyo when Gingerbread has been out for a while now.
    The release date of a device never guarantees which version of Android it ships with. Back when Froyo was released many new devices were shipping with Eclair. If Gingerbread is a must have then don't consider non-Gingerbread devices. You need to shop based on your priorities.

What makes the situation suck is that Verizon/Motorola should just come out and give a date.
    There are countless reasons for why products in development get delayed. Dates aren't announced until things are settled enough to announce a date that won't slip. If they just provided dates without being able to meet the date then people would be really upset. This is why I don't base my shopping decision on rumors. That just leads to frustration for me.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-28-2011 at 09:39 AM.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Takeshi - I hear what you are saying. If my OG Droid can hold on I will wait for the Bionic unless the SGS2 is launched beforehand and has 4g.

Being rather new to this site and the workings of these phones could you please explain to me the difference between the data speed and the processing speed? thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links