I like the email app on the Droid better than the Gmail app because of the combined inbox and color coded account email. The downside I found was that my gmail wouldn't push to it. Well I figured out how to make gmail push in the email app:
1. Go into email, if you haven't set up an account yet it will automatically start you in the account creation wizard. If you already have an account, then you will have to press menu>add account.
2. Enter your gmail address and password
3. Press "Manual setup"
4. Choose "Exchange Account"
5. in the "Domain\Username" field type your full gmail address after the \, so it should look like this: \email@example.com
6. The password field will auto-populate with the password you typed
7. in the "exchange server" field erase "gmail.com" and type: m.google.com
8. scroll down and click next
9. It will say "retreiving account information" wait for that to finish
10. choose the amount you want to synchronize and if you want it to be your default account.
11. I unchecked "Sync Contacts from this account" because I have my contacts synced with my gmail profile on my phone
12. Click Next
13. Name your account
14. Click done