DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Data saving tips

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenster View Post
    A couple more.....

1. Pick up 3g watchdog (free)

2. I use an app called Automateit It comes in both free and pro versions. It can trigger actions because of events. I use it to trigger turning on WiFi when I start the Google market or Amazon market app so I don't forget and start downloading updates in 3G.
    3G watchdog is very inaccurate.I had it on my phone for two months. And it was off by several GB each month. Don't trust your money with there data measurements.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Well!!!
    These tips are really helpful. I really appreciate you for sharing it!
    Keep sharing good info.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ethanasg48; 11-26-2011 at 04:14 AM.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Great tips.. thanks..
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    HTC DNA
    Does'nt the HTC Incredible 2 already have a data counter in the settings somewhere?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    games24x7
    Phone
    Nokia N71
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    Many are dreading when tiered data will be here. I for one knew it was coming and I think its time to help educate those new users on ways to save data. I have had a d1, d2 and a tbolt and of my two years I have bust the 2 gig mark 3 times.

So lets begin with some tips.

1) if you live in an area where you can get broadband (ie cable company) it may be worth the money to get service and a router. Wifi is pretty fast and if you are a family where every one has a smart phone and a tablet data can rack up fast.

2) turn off background data when phone is not in use.. .ie sleep mode. If you are at work it may not be as important to have Facebook or weather updating while the phone is in your pocket.

3) if you have wifi use it to update apps, download heavy data files, and any thing that requires a lot of data.

4) while you still are on unlimited use you phone everyday as normal and check your useage constantly so you can get an idea what plan would fit you best.

Tier data is here no need to point why or complain about whether is fair or not. This thread is only for data saving tips. Please do not use this thread to debate whether its right for Vzw to drop unlimited data or discuss whether its fair for Vzw to charge for tethering. Discussion of tips only.
    Thanks.
    sent from droidforums app

I use unlimited so #4 is tips is for me, now i am going to analysis my use and will update the plan accordingly, actually i love play rummy online so i keeps on playing, it is the main reason of my unlimited use.Thanks for all nice tips. I will share all with my friends so that they may beneficial from it.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Wow!! These are quite interesting tips.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD (Rooted 4.1.1)
    Great tips so far! I have one to add that I recently read about. It's preloading youtube videos before leaving home. Apparently you can preload a youtube video over your Wifi connection and then play the video later when you're out to save on data. It does cache the video to your SD card though so be aware of space needed and whatnot. Here's the link to a 'how to' do just that:

http://m.cnet.com/news/preload-youtu...yback/57485975

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums
  8. Banned
    Member #
    useful tips!especially the last one.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Can anyone tell me the easiest way to automatically turn wifi on/off when I am at home/away ... WITHOUT leaving the GPS or WiFi on?

I wanted to set this up with Smart Actions but from what I understand you have to either have WiFi or GPS on to detect your location with SA.

Now I have Automateit (mentioned earlier) it's similar to SA but seems to be a bit more complex. (maybe a bit more complex than I need as I find some of the setting options confusing...read: over my head!) I did set a rule for "Home WiFi" using "Cell ID Trigger" (when connected to certain cell towers) and it seems to work (in the general vicinity of my home which is fine) but then I found that it was notifying me every few minutes that the rule was triggered. So, I created a rule to disable the "Home WiFi" rule when WiFi is enabled. (so it will stop IDing cell towers) This seems to work also

Then I tried setting a "No WiFi Away" rule to Disable WiFi when not at home by using the same "Cell ID Trigger" (when NOT connected to certain cell towers) This didn't work so well. It kept shutting off my WiFi when I was at home because when it scans for cells it doesn't detect all the cells on every scan. (I only set it to recognize 2 towers)

Also the rule I created to disable "Home WiFi" when WiFi is enabled seems to disable the "No WiFi Away" rule (so I just deleted the "No WiFi Away" rule and I'm thinking that if I really want to...I can go to a location along my normal route and set up a rule using different cell towers to disable my WiFi...lol)

whew...this is getting confusing and seems like a bit much just to turn my WiFi on and off. On the other hand...once it's set up I don't have to mess with it any more and I don't want to leave wifi or gps on...and I would rather not have to remember to manually turn wifi on and off every time I come and go from my home (the only place I really use wifi) This would also apply to my kids and would help us to all save that PRECIOUS DATA ...

(so as of now it automatically turns on but I have to manually turn it off)
    Any help is appreciated .. please remember I am a novice
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD (Rooted 4.1.1)
    @msjen2u,

Well there are a couple of apps that, working in conjunction, can do a lot if that. But they require root to access these features. The first is Juice Defender, it controls the actual turn on, turn off actions, hence the need for root access. Then 3G Watchdog is the other app, it monitors your data usage and can alert you when you are getting close to your limit. It uses Juice Defender to turn off mobile data automatically when you near your limit, and if I'm not mistaken can switch between mobile data and Wifi automatically. It may not do everything you want, but you can always try it out.

Often, requiring GPS to be always on to figure out your location with most apps to tell them when to perform an action eats up battery quickly. But hopefully you'll find something that works for you. Good luck!

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Links