DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Possible way to squirm my way into unlimited 4G contract?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremeosiris View Post
    Perfect thread as I too am trying to figure out how to handle this tiered data that I knew was coming at some point but was hoping will be able to upgrade before it happened.

I am eligible for an upgrade on July 18th. I too have been holding out for the Bionic or Galaxy S2 as I am not thrilled with whats out there now. I currently have unlimited data and my wife has basic internet on her non-smartphone. She just popped to me this morning she thinks she wants a smartphone now and is currently eligible for an upgrade.

What is the best way to get our contract locked in at unlimited data for both of us and be able to get me into a Bionic/S2 when they roll out? She will be cool with the current phones on the market. Also my area will be getting 4G supposedly this year so I definitely want to get us into a 4G plan.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the responses.

if your wife wants to get a smart phone then you guys might make out better with the new data plans. VZW is supposed to be allowing shared data plans in the not so distant future, as opposed to right now you each have to carry your own $30/month data plan. It all depends on how much data you typically use, if you think you are going to be going over the limited amounts then get her locked in now, otherwise you might be able to save a few bucks by sharing a data plan.
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremeosiris View Post
    Perfect thread as I too am trying to figure out how to handle this tiered data that I knew was coming at some point but was hoping will be able to upgrade before it happened.

I am eligible for an upgrade on July 18th. I too have been holding out for the Bionic or Galaxy S2 as I am not thrilled with whats out there now. I currently have unlimited data and my wife has basic internet on her non-smartphone. She just popped to me this morning she thinks she wants a smartphone now and is currently eligible for an upgrade.

What is the best way to get our contract locked in at unlimited data for both of us and be able to get me into a Bionic/S2 when they roll out? She will be cool with the current phones on the market. Also my area will be getting 4G supposedly this year so I definitely want to get us into a 4G plan.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the responses.
    If your wife's line is eligible for an upgrade now, then by all means get her a smartphone before July 7th. Assuming that she currently has a data plan on her non-smartphone, switching to a smartphone does require a change in data plan. If you wait until after July 7th, an unlimited smartphone data plan might not be available anymore.
  3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Just an FYI, Verizon doesn't have a "4G" data plan. Or a 3G data plan. They just have a data plan. You getting 4G or not depends on your device and your coverage area, not your plan.

No reason to jump in to a "4G data plan" phone that you don't want.

However, if you don't have a smart phone, you better get one before July 7th.
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D3
    Hopefully we will get some clarification on the data plan soon and if people are grandfathered or not.

The cnet article states that if you are already on a smartphone plan you should be able to upgrade to a new phone and keep your existing data plan.

However, another poster, on the Thunderbolt vs Charge thread, stated that the reps at the Verizon store were pushing them to upgrade now with the reasoning that if they upgrade their existing smart phone after 7/7 they would have a limited plan.

At least that was how I understood it, that they already have a smartphone and were not looking to add a new line.
    Last edited by grnidkjun; 06-21-2011 at 01:18 PM.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by grnidkjun View Post
    Hopefully we will get some clarification on the data plan soon and if people are grandfathered or not.

The cnet article states that if you are already on a smartphone plan you should be able to upgrade to a new phone and keep your existing data plan.

However, another poster, on the Thunderbolt vs Charge thread, stated that the reps at the Verizon store were pushing them to upgrade now with the reasoning that if they upgrade their existing smart phone after 7/7 they would have a limited plan.

At least that was how I understood it, that they already have a smartphone and were not looking to add a new line.

This is going to sound terrible, but I wouldn't believe what a VZW rep told me unless I had heard it somewhere else and just wanted verification.

MOST sales reps are only concerned with getting a sale. If they have the opportunity to convince you to buy a new phone before the tiered plans go into effect, chances are they are going to tell you whatever it takes to get you to bite. I know not all of them are like this, but I have had a couple bad experiences with sales reps just not knowing what they are talking about. It was obvious that he didn't know what he was talking about, but couldn't say to me "I don't know". I would have respected that, instead of feeding me a bunch of bs.

This is all speculation until someone upgrades their phone after the tiered plans are released.
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links