DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS Outage in East Texas?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

GPS Outage in East Texas?

Apparently there has been a GPS outage for all android phones in the East Texas area for about a week. I can't find jack about it on the web and the Verizon people were not very helpful about what was going on. Does anyone know how it's possible to have an Android GPS outage in one specific area or just what the frack is up with this?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    A selective outage does not make sense. The satellites don't transmit only to certain areas. Sounds really strange.
    --Robert

"Peace through superior firepower" requires actual firepower, not just a trite bumper sticker.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanthecat View Post
    A selective outage does not make sense. The satellites don't transmit only to certain areas. Sounds really strange.
    I talked to the other Verizon store in my town and apparently the outage is a real thing. I'm just not sure how that's possible though since it's only for the East Texas area though and nowhere else. Also, it's weird that I got clipped with the outage while I was on Liberty 2.01. I couldn't have gotten an update from verizon.

The official line from the Verizon store was that both google and verizon were trying to do an "update" at the same time and it ended up knocking out everyone's GPS, but only in this area. Apparently it works if you take your phone out of state. They also said it would be fixed wednesday of next week. I'm still stumped at what could possibly have fracked up standalone GPS applications as well as the google ones...

They said my GPS would work if I went a hundred miles in any direction without any updates. Maybe it's a funky aGPS triangulation error from the towers or something? Although it still happens even if I turn aGPS and wireless network assist off. I really don't know how you can have a localized GPS outage that isn't caused by the satellites themselves, but it seems to be happening...
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Where are you at in east Texas? I'm in Houston and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Rockin Rezound!!!
    Unlocked & Rooted
    Ineffabilis Rom (Sweeeeet)
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I'm in Tyler (Deep East Tesas, sigh). Apparently it works if you go as far south as Lufkin, or East into Louisina. I'm still baffled though...
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    That is really strange!!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Rockin Rezound!!!
    Unlocked & Rooted
    Ineffabilis Rom (Sweeeeet)
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Check out this thread and see if your experience is similar. Very hard to find info about this and pretty baffling...
    [Q] Thunderbolt GPS - Page 3 - xda-developers
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by jonakin View Post
    Check out this thread and see if your experience is similar. Very hard to find info about this and pretty baffling...
    [Q] Thunderbolt GPS - Page 3 - xda-developers
    Hey thanks, this issue is a bear to find information about. That is exactly my issue. That thread is a hell of a lot more informative than the ones I've found or started so far.

Fantastic
    Last edited by wilydodger; 04-23-2011 at 10:40 PM.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by wilydodger View Post
    I talked to the other Verizon store in my town and apparently the outage is a real thing. I'm just not sure how that's possible though since it's only for the East Texas area though and nowhere else.
    Depends specifically on the cause. It's likely not a "GPS outage" since GPS outages can't be localized like this. aGPS and GPS app issues, however, could certainly be localized.

Maybe it's a funky aGPS triangulation error from the towers or something?
    aGPS is not tower triangulation. If you're triangulating off the towers it's not GPS. aGPS only downloads assistance data for a faster GPS fix. There is no tower triangulation with aGPS despite the seemingly common misunderstanding.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    I talked to the other Verizon store in my town and apparently the outage is a real thing. I'm just not sure how that's possible though since it's only for the East Texas area though and nowhere else.
    Depends specifically on the cause. It's likely not a "GPS outage" since GPS outages can't be localized like this. aGPS and GPS app issues, however, could certainly be localized.

Maybe it's a funky aGPS triangulation error from the towers or something?
    aGPS is not tower triangulation. If you're triangulating off the towers it's not GPS. aGPS only downloads assistance data for a faster GPS fix. There is no tower triangulation with aGPS despite the seemingly common misunderstanding.
    Thanks for correcting my minor terminology mistakes. That has helped tremendously!

BTW, when GPS is out for all apps, on all phones in hundreds of square miles, for thousand of people, for weeks at a time, I think calling it an "outage" isn't totally unreasonable. Feel free to correct that run on sentence if you must

I think I have figured out what the issue is (kind of) if anyone is interested....
    Last edited by wilydodger; 04-25-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Links