DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Apple to launch Verizon iPhone in Q3 2010

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    If the iPhone had been available on Friday, November 6th, I still would have chosen the Droid. Even with all of these bugs that many of us are experiencing, I would have chosen the Droid. I love my Macbook Pro (so I'm not anti Apple at all), but the Droid is so much more appealing than the iPhone is to me.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    From someone who wanted an iphone from day one, but refused to move to AT&T and just bought the Droid on launch day, I think this is great.

All that it will do is force each company to be better and the consumers will benefit from that.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    @JhankG,

I'm also a mac user, and I love my macbook pro. However, the droid seems much more appealing to me than the iPhone.
    I too would have purchased the droid over the iPhone. Nothing against apple, because I love their products. But in a match up between the two, I would have elected to buy the Droid--I did.
    I am happy that the Droid is here because the updates will continually make this device better and having other high-end devices to compete with will only be better for everyone involved.

On the rumors, like we all haven't heard these for years. I do not know how many "insider tips" I have heard. Frankly, I think this should be posted in another forum...the non-android phone forum .
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If I only had a dollar for every time....

Verizon has supposedly been "getting an iPhone" for a while now. Granted, a composite chip would be a strong step in the right direction, but I don't see it launching until Q4 at the soonest and I needed a phone now. IF the composite chip isn't in the mix, the soonest an iPhone would work is Q4 when the LTE network is supposed to go live in major markets and Apple wouldn't launch anything until LTE was fully implemented nationwide.

Had there been an iPhone available on Verizon, I would have purchased it over the droid for the sheer reason of expandability. My one problem with Droid is that only 256 mb of memory is available for apps even though it can hold up to 32GB of files on a card. HOPEFULLY they will be able to change this with future firmware but if not, that's a MAJOR downside to the phone/platform. Also, the upgradability of the OS it's self. I'm hoping Android will be like iPhone OS and will be upgradable with each new version (either for a price or with free OTA updates). Right now though, it looks like that may be hindered by the different providers who might tweak it (Sense OS - HTC) and then they have to get the base install, tweak it then up date it, slowing down fixes & upgrades. iPhone has the advantage of being vertically integrated so when they make a fix for one, it makes a fix for all that is instantly updateable. Hopefully, Android will be this way too.

As for whether Apple will get in bed with Verizon even after the adds they've run lately, the answer is "Heck yeah!". Apple will not ever hold something against someone if it expands their business in their terms. Anyone familiar with Apple should know this. Previous adversaries turned allies such as ATI, Intel, Microsoft, and several others, have been vocal adversaries that, when the time was right, were made valuable allies and Jobs warmly welcomed them in to the fold. Verizon would be the same way. If they could make a phone work on Verizon's network tomorrow, Jobs wouldn't hesitate to let them have the phone. Jobs is all about expanding his products and he knows business is business. The only time he MIGHT not side with a previous adversary is if they attacked him personally, ie Michael Dell.

Anyway, I haven't gotten my Droid in my hands but I look forward to using it. It may not be an iPhone but it's still the best phone on the network I'm on and it takes money out of Gates & Blackberry's hands so I'm all for it.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Verizon iphone?

Too little too late. I waited as long as I could. I gave up waiting and decided to try the iphone with AT&T. It was a disaster that ended with my returning the phone inside 48 hours. It is all about the network for me. Our family will enjoy our Droids till Apple gets on the right network, then review the bidding. If the Droid get a Google Earth app ala iphone, we'll have no reason to go to an iphone. I expect that by then I'll even know how to do a few things with my new gadget. Love the Droid screen, the UI is usable and the promise of growth offered by the open architecture is a welcomed change.
    We have a dozen Macs in the family plus the usual complement of PC's, so I harbor no prejudice with regard to brand. I just know the Verizon 3G USB gadget I have used heavily for the last two years works great just about everywhere, while the AT&T iphone would not work on my back porch or the next county.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dweezle View Post
    It's not news that Apple and Verizon have been trying to figure out how each could make money by working something out together. What I thought was interesting was the details of what the Verizon iPhone might look like. If you've just gotten a Droid and a 2 year contract, I would not like hearing that either. The other piece is the Verizon "special" ETF for the Droid and some of their other high end smart phones. That's what stopped me from ordering a Droid more than the off chance that iPhones will be coming in 3Q 2010.
    for advanced phones such as the Droid and similar smartphones, the Early Termination Fee will begin at $350 and decrease by $10 per month per line, starting November 15.
    Why did that stop you from ordering. It STARTS the 15th. Your contract signed prior to that is not effected.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    And doesn't that only apply to LEAVING Verizon? If you just want to upgrade to a different phone, and are willing to pay whatever that phone will cost you, the ETF doesn't apply anyway, correct?
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    my brother has an iphone. i've used it. i prefer the look and feel of my droid over his iphone. don't even get me started on how much better the 3g is on verizon.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Until yesterday I was an iPhone owner myself, and I used to frequent AppleInsider all the time. I have to say I'm happy to be rid of both; The iPhone because of Apple's 'we know how you want to use your own device better than you do' attitude, and AppleInsider because of the horde of brainwashed fan-boys. It doesn't matter what Apple does, Apple can do NO wrong in the eyes of 99% of the crowd over there. So to hear (another) 'rumor' like this from AppleInsider strikes me more as an attempt to make the fence-sitters sit there a little longer, rather than running to buy the Droid.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links