DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Gingerbread is here?????

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X

Exclamation Gingerbread is here?????

New Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread build for Droid X reportedly is pushing over the air [Update: Verizon says no update yet] | Android Central

I came across this earlier and need some help with figuring out what to do. The above link leads to a download for the Gingerbread OS for my Droid X.

1)Is this an official Verizon Gignerbread build? It makes it seem like that. Am I safe with doing this manually or should I wait for the OTA update from Verizon?

2)Also, my Droid X is rooted. I have heard that when I update the OS, I lose the root. Is that true and anything I need to do before I manually update to Gingerbread because my phone is rooted.

3)The very last question is if I manually download this to my phone, What happens when Verizon pushes the OTA update? Will it still update on my phone or not touch it because of me doing it manually?
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by wdcspurs View Post
    New Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread build for Droid X reportedly is pushing over the air [Update: Verizon says no update yet] | Android Central

I came across this earlier and need some help with figuring out what to do. The above link leads to a download for the Gingerbread OS for my Droid X.

1)Is this an official Verizon Gignerbread build? It makes it seem like that. Am I safe with doing this manually or should I wait for the OTA update from Verizon?

2)Also, my Droid X is rooted. I have heard that when I update the OS, I lose the root. Is that true and anything I need to do before I manually update to Gingerbread because my phone is rooted.

3)The very last question is if I manually download this to my phone, What happens when Verizon pushes the OTA update? Will it still update on my phone or not touch it because of me doing it manually?
    This isn't official even though it is being pushed to some devices. Verizon would clearly say gb is rolling out but they deny that they released gb. If they are I don't see a reason for them lieing about it. You can manually do this and be fine and you can ota with no problems. Yes you will lose root you will have to flash sbf file to be stock then you manually install update. When it is officially released there will be more details as of now this isn't considered a ota. I would say this is more of a stable release then the leak. If you ask me I say wait till verizon officially says gb is out instead of downloading now and you will have to start the whole sbf process again.

Swyped from the best phone in verizon's line up
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid annoymous View Post

This isn't official even though it is being pushed to some devices. Verizon would clearly say gb is rolling out but they deny that they released gb. If they are I don't see a reason for them lieing about it. You can manually do this and be fine and you can ota with no problems. Yes you will lose root you will have to flash sbf file to be stock then you manually install update. When it is officially released there will be more details as of now this isn't considered a ota. I would say this is more of a stable release then the leak. If you ask me I say wait till verizon officially says gb is out instead of downloading now and you will have to start the whole sbf process again.

Appreciate the reply. If I wait for the OTA, and my phone sits as it is now (rooted), will it just install as normal or do I need to be back to the stock to recieve the OTA? Also, when you say flash the sbf file to be stock, is that simply just unrooting my phone?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Where do you get it

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone

Appreciate the reply. If I wait for the OTA, and my phone sits as it is now (rooted), will it just install as normal or do I need to be back to the stock to recieve the OTA? Also, when you say flash the sbf file to be stock, is that simply just unrooting my phone?
    Back to stock to receive update and this is confirmed to be a leak so I suggest wait till may for ota. And sbf well take your phone to stock everything meaning it will be just like a brand new phone.

6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X

Back to stock to receive update and this is confirmed to be a leak so I suggest wait till may for ota. And sbf well take your phone to stock everything meaning it will be just like a brand new phone.

How do i get back to Stock? Remove the root?
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    I thought it was coming out my old X was going to download it but it died and now I keep going and checking for updates and it says my phone id up to date.

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone

How do i get back to Stock? Remove the root?
    You have to flash sbf through rsd I'm sure if you ask In other threads someone will give it to you.

9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by reddobe View Post
    I thought it was coming out my old X was going to download it but it died and now I keep going and checking for updates and it says my phone id up to date.

Droid life has the update for download go there but like I said before this isn't officially its considered a leak.

Links