DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Can you use any micro USB charger?

  1. Senior Droid
    wallstreet123456's Avatar
    Member #
    80
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    236
    #1

    Can you use any micro USB charger?

    for the droid. I have other phones that have this charger and rather than buy one for work wanted to know if I could use one of those in the office to charge the phone.
  2. Senior Droid
    ZeRo_C0oL's Avatar
    Member #
    301
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    219
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #2
    Should be able to.
    New Android Developer

    Loving my Motorola Droid!
  3. Master Droid
    bamfsig45's Avatar
    Member #
    465
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    ICT
    Posts
    895
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt & Xoom
    #3
    Im using one for my sons LG phone.

    Sometimes a "smartphone" is only as smart as its user.




  4. Junior Droid
    zeeboid's Avatar
    Member #
    7716
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11
    Phone
    droid
    #4
    here's a question:

    I have one of these hardwired into my truck and when I just plug in the micro-USB cable that came with the droid, it will not charge.

    All of my previous pocket pc phones, amazon kindle, everything else that plugs into USB will charge, but the droid for some reason will not.

    This is true also with a single port charger I have in my other cars.

    Anything odd about the droid in this reguard?
  5. Super Moderator
    New2u's Avatar
    Member #
    21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    #5
    I'm using one i got with my Moto Headset, but when i left it charging for long, it wigged out and went crazy, so i'm not sure if that was just because the charger, which i'm sure it was, or if it was just my phone, which i doubt.
    Resistance is futile.

    On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
  6. Droid
    Zennmaster's Avatar
    Member #
    3367
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    35
    Phone
    LG Revolution
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    for the droid. I have other phones that have this charger and rather than buy one for work wanted to know if I could use one of those in the office to charge the phone.
    Short version, from my experience, Not Necessarily.

    There are a number of chargers on the market that provide less than 850MA current. The Droid seems to need at least this much to charge properly. My wife has an LG ENV3, and it seems I can use this charger on my Droid just fine. I bought one off of Ebay (Yeah, I know), that provides 500MA, and it makes my Droid go wiggy, to the point where I am not comfortable using it. I would suspect that any Blackberry charger should work fine.

    YMMV, but I would advise caution.
  7. Master Droid
    naman919's Avatar
    Member #
    837
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    563
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zennmaster View Post
    Short version, from my experience, Not Necessarily.

    There are a number of chargers on the market that provide less than 850MA current. The Droid seems to need at least this much to charge properly. My wife has an LG ENV3, and it seems I can use this charger on my Droid just fine. I bought one off of Ebay (Yeah, I know), that provides 500MA, and it makes my Droid go wiggy, to the point where I am not comfortable using it. I would suspect that any Blackberry charger should work fine.

    YMMV, but I would advise caution.
    Just looked at my BB charger and it's 700MA so it should be fine. I've used it once before, with caution, and it seemed ok. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2 View Post
    Why must people insist on posting these things when my flamethrower is in for repairs?
  8. Senior Droid
    butch350's Avatar
    Member #
    29562
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Uni-Matrix-Zero
    Posts
    241
    Phone
    Droid
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    I'm using one i got with my Moto Headset, but when i left it charging for long, it wigged out and went crazy, so i'm not sure if that was just because the charger, which i'm sure it was, or if it was just my phone, which i doubt.
    Do you think the your head phones have the same size and type
    of battery that the droid does? I DON'T THINK SO.
  9. Master Droid
    jimnutt's Avatar
    Member #
    20685
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Morrisville, NY
    Posts
    300
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #9
    You need not only sufficient current (>500ma), it also needs to be regulated at 5V +/- 0.25V. A lot of the cheap aftermarket adapters are not regulated and they can cause the Droid to go crazy, particularly toward the end of a charge cycle when the phone isn't drawing as much current and the voltage rises about 5.25V.
  10. Super Moderator
    New2u's Avatar
    Member #
    21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by butch350 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    I'm using one i got with my Moto Headset, but when i left it charging for long, it wigged out and went crazy, so i'm not sure if that was just because the charger, which i'm sure it was, or if it was just my phone, which i doubt.
    Do you think the your head phones have the same size and type
    of battery that the droid does? I DON'T THINK SO.
    Actually it doesn't matter about battery size, it does have the same port, and that's all that matters, i found out the reason it went crazy was because of an app that i installed that didn't agree with it, so when i removed it, it worked fine. The charger works just as it's supposed to. It was a bluetooth moto headset, not headphones, big difference.

    Plus i posted that in late november, so since then it's been working great.
    Resistance is futile.

    On 11/16/2009 DroidNet Became Aware
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Touch Screen Behaves Oddly When Plugged into Charger
    By kyoo in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM
  2. micro usb light
    By cLovis_ll in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 08:05 PM
  3. Bluetooth headset charger
    By dajakal in forum Android Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 07:31 AM
  4. Spare battery and charger?
    By thatguychuck in forum Android Accessories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 10:25 AM
  5. Cheap USB Micro Cables
    By Danthok in forum Android Accessories
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM

Search tags for this page

android micro usb

,

does it matter what charger i use for my phone

,
micro usb android charger
,

micro usb charger android

,
what charger does android use
,
what kind of charger does a kindle use
,

what kind of charger does android use

,
what kind of charger does the kindle use
,

what type of charger does a kindle use

,
what type of charger does the droid x use
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+