DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X

Why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

I was in a forum, and someone said that they would be using their favorite Rom until they retire their Droid.

I've never thought of retiring my Droid. Since the Android OS is becoming so much more robust and faster each iteration, I had to ask the question: why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

As long as the battery holds up, and the processor doesn't melt because of my Overclocking obsession, what would a person need from another phone?

My Droid has a keyboard. It can run at 1 Ghz, no problem. I mean sure, the graphics processor could stand for more power. Ok, so maybe it doesn't have the most memory, but for a smartphone, it's pretty powerful. Oh and did I mention it has a keyboard?

I don't need to use my keyboard. I could choose to keep it hidden forever, for all I care. But the fact that it has one, puts it in a class by itself.

My Droid is highly customizable. I can root it, and make it call me daddy. I can install custom Rom's, and give it a new look and feel whenever I get tired with what I have. Whether it's Simply Stunning, Ultimate Droid, or MIUI, I am always changing my style, and never board with my Droid.

I see people here who type, OG Droid, and I immediately think of my Droid as an "Original Gangsta". I'm not sure if that's what it means, but it has a nice ring to it. Even now, almost 1.5 years after it's introduction....wait, it's just been 1.5 years. The Droid came out in October 2009, and it's March 2011, so 18 months = 1.5 years. It seems so long ago in the Cell Phone world. I mean Verizon has the Iphone finally, and no one thought it would happen. Motorola is talking about it's new lineup of Droid phones, wow, the "OG" Droid seems like it was so long ago.

I raise my Droid up high, as it's 3.7 inch TFT LCD Display glistens in the light, it steadily blinking telling me that I have a new message. Always willing to please, always there to take my calls, to give me free Visual Voicemail, or Turn by Turn Navigation.

My Droid is here to stay...unless some unforeseen circumstance occurs where my Droid breaks, and the only way to fix it is to give me a Droid III. Well, I guess worse things could happen.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    i hear you man. But some people have to have the latest and greatest. I have to admit I had an upgrade so I used it for the D2, but I still have my D1.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I loved my d1 but eventually developers will stop supporting it. I didn't need to upgrade but I'm glad I did. My droid x is a much better phone even with the locked bootloader. I also loved my d1 so much that it was the first phone I've ever had that I didn't upgrade from the day my upgrade was available. It took me 3 months before I upgraded.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehal38 View Post
    I loved my d1 but eventually developers will stop supporting it. I didn't need to upgrade but I'm glad I did. My droid x is a much better phone even with the locked bootloader.

What makes your Droid X better?
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehal38 View Post
    I loved my d1 but eventually developers will stop supporting it. I didn't need to upgrade but I'm glad I did. My droid x is a much better phone even with the locked bootloader.

What makes your Droid X better?
    For one I like that my x has a noticeable weight difference. The d1 is quite a bit heavier to me. I love the big screen and even though my d1 was overclocked my x is much smoother and snappier than my d1 was. I listen to music a lot and my d1 seemed to slow down a bit while playing music and my x doesn't slow down at all.

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Iphone
    I got a dx coming monday.

The lack of future support is the most legit reasoning. I loved my playstation...but they quit making games when the ps2 came out.

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk
    Last edited by mwhartman; 03-19-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Unnecessary comments
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    OG Droid 1
    I clean my cache once a day and davlick cache once a week to keep things snappy. No need for a dx. I'm ride or die with my OG Droid until it dies or the community stops supporting it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Another reason that made upgrading from my d1 much easier is that I didn't use my upgrade. I still have an upgrade coming in september in which I'll use to get a dual core if they are available at that time.

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I was jonesing for a new phone, my droid seemingly on its last legs...then I decided to finally root it. Its like a whole new phone.

Now I'm perfectly content waiting to upgrade to the more perfect phone, a true successor to the droid, as there's nothing out yet that is really -that- much better. I have an upgrade to burn, but I'm not in any hurry as of yet.

I'm hoping the true successor is the droid3. (ie, motorola, keyboard and google experience). With that one twitter leak saying d3 would be blur-less, I can keep my hopes up for this to happen.
  10. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    1036 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    Upgrade yes, retire never.

Swyped from a Droid
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links