DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to exit/close apps

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

How to exit/close apps

Most of the apps don't have exit or close options, so how do you close them? I have a task killer, but it seems that you wouldn't really need one if the apps had exit or close options so you knew for sure that they were shutting down when you are done.

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Just back out of them...Task Killers are not required with android OS IMHO...lots of threads on that.....

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ackground.html
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Yeah, I've read the discussions on the task killers. It would just be nice if the apps had an exit option so you could be sure you are closing them if you want. Thanks for the reply.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    It is a hard habit to break, but since the OS handles what is know as garbage collection (cleaning out unused memory), it is actually better for the OS to do it. When an app closes itself, it may not report back properly the free space to the OS and thus you may not be getting the actual benefit you believe you are by having an Exit "button"

The same holds true with killing task (and as Backnblack pointed out), they are not only unnecessary, but in some cases can be counter productive since if you kill a process that needs to to some clean up before closing you wind up with corrupt data.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I have yet to use an app that actually has a "close" feature
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Slacker Radio has a close button
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    mOTOROLLA dROID
    i understand the let the system close it out itself argument, except i find that it eats battery power when you leave them open
  9. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    I am finding lately that even backing out is not closing them completely. I made a post yesterday about changes in my battery usage lately. Some apps that aren't even running are eating the battery. Perfect example is Flixter Movies and the browser. My Droid has been off charge for 5 hours and has not even been used at all. Flixter is showing 21% usage. I went in to my task killer and it isn't even showing it running. Another is Beautiful Widgets. A few days ago it ate up 51% of my battery and since unplugged today shows 17%. I know BW runs all of the time but it has never ate up the battery like that. I also had an issue with the browser the other day. I always make sure I back out, close all open windows and kill it with ATK. It had used 92% being off charge for 3 hours.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Experiment I ran about a two weeks, or so, ago.

I decided to ditch the ATK and let Android "close" all unused apps. I checked my phone last Tuesday morning, made a phone call, messaged my son, used ATK to close everything, and decided to not use ATK for the remainder of the day.

An hour later: FB, Alarm Clock, Messaging, Browser, You Tube, DigiClock Widget, Corporate Calender, Music Player and SportsTap were all running. I don't know why You Tube, Corporate Calender, Camera and Music player started running, I didn't start those apps, and didn't use them at all. So, I left them open, since Android "closes" all apps that aren't being used. I noted that my battery, which is normally about 80% by noon, was down to 60% by noon, and needed a charge by 3 o'clock. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with my phone... Oh yeah, when all of those apps are running, after all Android "closes" apps that aren't being used, it causes the phone function to FC when trying to hang up, or when trying to open the phone to make a call, and I had about 20MB of memory available.

Some of the apps, like Slacker, Pandora, SportsTap, FB ,and WeatherBug have to be running in the background because of the associated widgets on my home screens, but, apps that I don't open, should not be resident in memory. Camera is the biggest killer of the battery and it starts automatically.

Is there something in my system, perhaps an application, that is accessing all of this stuff, and doesn't need to? Anyway, the next day, I used ATK when needed, and my battery behaved like it always did, 80% by noon, and not needing a charge until evening, or even, by the time I went to bed. Whenever I use applications, esp, if I use the phone to browse the net, play a game, or use Dex Knows, or something, I always kill the apps after closing.

Say what you want, but, it extends my battery life, and my phone runs better. Apps, after being used, stay resident in memory, and take up space.
    "Chairman of the Awkward Squad"
    Treo 650 --> Samsung A37 --> Moto Droid --> Moto Droid 2 Global.
    Droid owner since 12/22/09
    Droid 2 Global owner since 2/12/11

11. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimChgo9 View Post
    Experiment I ran about a two weeks, or so, ago.

I decided to ditch the ATK and let Android "close" all unused apps. I checked my phone last Tuesday morning, made a phone call, messaged my son, used ATK to close everything, and decided to not use ATK for the remainder of the day.

An hour later: FB, Alarm Clock, Messaging, Browser, You Tube, DigiClock Widget, Corporate Calender, Music Player and SportsTap were all running. I don't know why You Tube, Corporate Calender, Camera and Music player started running, I didn't start those apps, and didn't use them at all. So, I left them open, since Android "closes" all apps that aren't being used. I noted that my battery, which is normally about 80% by noon, was down to 60% by noon, and needed a charge by 3 o'clock. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with my phone... Oh yeah, when all of those apps are running, after all Android "closes" apps that aren't being used, it causes the phone function to FC when trying to hang up, or when trying to open the phone to make a call, and I had about 20MB of memory available.

Some of the apps, like Slacker, Pandora, SportsTap, FB ,and WeatherBug have to be running in the background because of the associated widgets on my home screens, but, apps that I don't open, should not be resident in memory. Camera is the biggest killer of the battery and it starts automatically.

Is there something in my system, perhaps an application, that is accessing all of this stuff, and doesn't need to? Anyway, the next day, I used ATK when needed, and my battery behaved like it always did, 80% by noon, and not needing a charge until evening, or even, by the time I went to bed. Whenever I use applications, esp, if I use the phone to browse the net, play a game, or use Dex Knows, or something, I always kill the apps after closing.

Say what you want, but, it extends my battery life, and my phone runs better. Apps, after being used, stay resident in memory, and take up space.
    The problem doesn't seem to be using a task killer itself, it's your choice of a task killer. ATK is suspect of being a possible problem app.

I use Task Panel, and never have had an issue with it. I rarely use it, I doubt if I've used it in a week and usually it's just to kill my browser so the browser resets.

Just something to keep in mind should you start developing some problems on your Droid.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links