DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Incosistent result of the "back" button

  1. Droid Newbie
    pvouzis's Avatar
    Member #
    1914
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #1

    Incosistent result of the "back" button

    Try this:
    1) go to the "home screen"
    2) bring up the "application screen"
    3) tab on any application
    4) tab the back button

    Where do you end up? To the "home screen" of course instead of the "application screen" that the "back" button should have taken you to, since "BACK" means take me to previous screen which was the "application screen" and not the "home screen"

    It is so annoying!! Is there a way to fix this??
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Senior Droid
    hett's Avatar
    Member #
    1933
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    146
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #2
    When you say the "application screen" I assume you men the app drawer?

    The app drawer is part of the homescreen, it isn't a separate screen.
  4. Senior Droid
    andjarnic's Avatar
    Member #
    1311
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sacramento area, CA
    Posts
    239
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #3
    I agree.. there is times when the back button doesn't take you back one screen, but a couple or completely out. I'll have to keep track. Is it the app that is running that controls where it goes? I am not entirely sure yet...still learning to build android apps.
  5. Senior Droid
    andjarnic's Avatar
    Member #
    1311
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sacramento area, CA
    Posts
    239
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #4
    Yes.. hett.. he means the home screen.. but it should "open" the drawer again to the list of apps in it at least.. and have the app you just ran still selected.

    I'd also like to see icons have some sort of LED if they are running, or a different color border or something. It would be helpful at a glance to see apps running, and if you hold it, a menu pops up to close it completely, instead of the current behavior which is to move it to the home screen. I'd rather a menu that offers to move it to a home screen, and close it (if its running). If it's not running, then stick with the default behavior and move it to a home screen. If there is no more room on ANY screen, then pop a dialog up saying so.
  6. Droid
    godanigo's Avatar
    Member #
    933
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    94
    Phone
    Tha Droid
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    Yes.. hett.. he means the home screen.. but it should "open" the drawer again to the list of apps in it at least.. and have the app you just ran still selected.

    I'd also like to see icons have some sort of LED if they are running, or a different color border or something. It would be helpful at a glance to see apps running, and if you hold it, a menu pops up to close it completely, instead of the current behavior which is to move it to the home screen. I'd rather a menu that offers to move it to a home screen, and close it (if its running). If it's not running, then stick with the default behavior and move it to a home screen. If there is no more room on ANY screen, then pop a dialog up saying so.
    Suggest it to the Android team, how else can they know what we want?
  7. Senior Droid
    hett's Avatar
    Member #
    1933
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    146
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    I agree.. there is times when the back button doesn't take you back one screen, but a couple or completely out. I'll have to keep track. Is it the app that is running that controls where it goes? I am not entirely sure yet...still learning to build android apps.
    Different apps make the back button behave differently, and in different contexts. It can get sort of confusing.

    When someone IMs me on Hello IM, I'll open the IM from the notification drawer. When I hit back, it doesn't take me to the buddy list, but back to wherever I'd been. That isn't necessary because holding the home button down brings up the app switcher, like alt-tab on a PC.

    On my rooted G1, I use a modified mms.apk that has an option specifically to make hitting back in a text message bring you back to the list of text threads.
  8. Senior Droid
    andjarnic's Avatar
    Member #
    1311
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sacramento area, CA
    Posts
    239
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #7
    Hey..didn't know holding HOME button brings up task switcher..very kewl. Learn something new every day. Still would love some sort of visual notification, and soon as I start developing my apps for android, I'll get on their forums and suggest some things.
  9. Senior Droid
    hett's Avatar
    Member #
    1933
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    146
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    Hey..didn't know holding HOME button brings up task switcher..very kewl. Learn something new every day. Still would love some sort of visual notification, and soon as I start developing my apps for android, I'll get on their forums and suggest some things.
    Glad to help. I've been an Android user for a year now, know the in-and-outs of daily use pretty well. I haven't gotten my Droid yet but I'm working on canceling t-mobile.

    Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
  10. Senior Droid
    andjarnic's Avatar
    Member #
    1311
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sacramento area, CA
    Posts
    239
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #9
    Incidentally.. the task switcher by holding HOME down doesn't seem to show running apps..but the last 6 used. I just used the Advanced Task Killer to kill about 12 apps that apparently were running, brought it up again, nothing showing in that list. Then I hold HOME and it shows 6 apps. So I am guessing it's the last 6 used? Also, the Advanced Task Killer.. showed so many apps..I thought there could only be 6 apps at once running on Android? How would it show more than that?
  11. Senior Droid
    hett's Avatar
    Member #
    1933
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    146
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by andjarnic View Post
    Incidentally.. the task switcher by holding HOME down doesn't seem to show running apps..but the last 6 used. I just used the Advanced Task Killer to kill about 12 apps that apparently were running, brought it up again, nothing showing in that list. Then I hold HOME and it shows 6 apps. So I am guessing it's the last 6 used? Also, the Advanced Task Killer.. showed so many apps..I thought there could only be 6 apps at once running on Android? How would it show more than that?
    The app switcher shows the last 6 used apps, yes -- if you don't kill them with ATK then tapping them from the app switcher will bring you over to it. If you kill it with ATK, tapping it will re-launch. It isn't exactly alt-tabbing but it is the closest thing. Only in rare instances does it not get you where you want to go.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Widget to replace WM "today screen" updates
    By ntaylor in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
  2. The "Getting Mine Tomorrow via FedEx" Group!
    By lauriep in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM
  3. Craziness syncing itunes contents with "doubleTwis"
    By omnibus in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
  4. "Google Experience" and future Android updates
    By jdubbs23 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 01:06 PM
  5. Transfering Contacts "Dumbphone" to a Droid
    By jwd45244 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM

Search tags for this page

andrioud previous screen button takes homepage

,

back button goes back two pages on droid razor

,

back button isn't working on motorola droid

,

back button takes me to homepage

,

droid back button goes home

,

droid back button not working alt

,

droid x back button takess me to home

,

droidx back button

,

droidx home button takes to to different screen

,

tabs back button android

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+