DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: how to properly use 2 batteries

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    X

how to properly use 2 batteries

so i have two batteries for my D1 and i was wondering what is the proper way to use both of them? if i switch batteries, will my phone tell me it's dead when there is really like 30%left in the newer one? should i stick with one until it dies but mainly try to stick with one? should i alternate?

also...for my DX battery (since im currently using the d1) should i leave that battery completely full or charged when it's just sitting?

thanks

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    As for the former, it sounds like there's something wrong. If your battery isnt reporting the proper charge, then you have a problem. If the battery isnt holding a charge, then you have a bad battery. It shouldnt matter what order you put them in....

You can fully charge/discharge, or sit your DX on the charger all day -- in a properly working phone/battery, it wont make a difference.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    X
    i wasnt saying my phone was doing that,but i just wanted to make sure it wouldnt lol

i killed my laptop battery by leaving it plugged in 24/7 because i had a docking station for it so now it wont keep a charger longer than it takes for win7 to boot up. so i just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to kill my phone battery since they dont last a full day with use as is
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by g i 8 1 2 View Post
    i killed my laptop battery by leaving it plugged in 24/7 because i had a docking station
    That shouldn't kill a battery unless it and/or the charging circuity were poorly designed. There are tons of threads on Li ion battery care and nothing in this thread is really any different aside from the fact that you have 2 batteries. Top them off as needed. Change them as desired. There's really nothing to it. You just shouldn't fully drain Li ion cells.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid
    I use two batteries for my D2 (same as D1 and DX)

I have this....
    http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page....es&skuno=85637

(I can't hotlink it)

it charges using a USB connector and I hook it up to a cigerrete lighter with the USB slot. I let it charge constantly and if my battery in the phone gets too low, I simply switch them out
    Last edited by mcatdtDroid; 02-23-2011 at 10:53 AM.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    HTC One - Blue
    I had 2 batteries for my enV and have 2 for my Droid. I had the enV for 3 years and both batteries were still in excellent condition when I got the Droid. I keep both batteries fully charged when I am going somewhere where I expect to use the phone a lot, so that I can switch them when one is running low. Most of the time I don't need to do this, so I discharge one to about 40% and keep it in the refrigerator. A fully charged LiIon battery will lose about 20% life a year at room temperature, but only 2% at 40% charge and 40 F. That is why keeping a laptop plugged in all the time shortens the battery life. The battery is fully charged and probably at greater than room temperature, so it could lose more like 25% or 30% life each year. If fully charged in a hot car continuously then the yearly loss could be up to 50%.

Links