DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DROID Learning Curve (what was your previous phone?)

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

DROID Learning Curve (what was your previous phone?)

So how is everyone doing with the switch from their previous phone? Although this is my first smartphone, I feel like I am a pretty technically savvy guy so my DROID isn't too difficult to use (yet)! I upgraded from the VX1000 (Lg Voyager) so I'm not as familiar with what the DROID improves/lacks from other smartphones. Veteran smartphone users probably have a better idea than i do!

The biggest learning curve for me so far is using the slide-out qwerty. I typed like a mad man on my Voyager and my girlfriends blackberry curve, but I seemed to have lost a step or 2 with the DROID. I'm sure it will pick up once I get used to it...but that is what a learning curve is all about!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Blackberry Curve was my previous phone. I've had the DROID for a few days now and I am beginning to realize why RIM owns the business market. Typing is much more difficult on the Droid, and the Exchange support is lacking.

But, I love the phone so much, I am going to deal with it. :-)))
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    Motorola Q (Windows Mobile) -> Samsung Omnia (Windows Mobile) -> Blackberry Storm (BB OS) -> Motorola Droid (Android 2.0)

Fairly easy to learn really. Not as easy and boring like Apple iPhone that a 3 years old can use, but definitely not hard either.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I had a crappy samsung juke but I also had an ipod touch. This is by far the best switch I have made.

The use of the ipod really helped. I already knew the common gestures and the soft keyboard pretty well.

I would agree that the hardest thing to get used to is the hard keyboard. I am still pretty slow...25 words per minute.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    i bought the LG Dare when it first came out & have been on that since...so this is my first "smart phone" and its a whole new world & i dig some & get very annoyed by others
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (v1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ATControlFreak View Post
    So how is everyone doing with the switch from their previous phone? Although this is my first smartphone, I feel like I am a pretty technically savvy guy so my DROID isn't too difficult to use (yet)! I upgraded from the VX1000 (Lg Voyager) so I'm not as familiar with what the DROID improves/lacks from other smartphones. Veteran smartphone users probably have a better idea than i do!

The biggest learning curve for me so far is using the slide-out qwerty. I typed like a mad man on my Voyager and my girlfriends blackberry curve, but I seemed to have lost a step or 2 with the DROID. I'm sure it will pick up once I get used to it...but that is what a learning curve is all about!
    Well, I will say that I am a Blackberry 8400g and Storm user trying this out as my personal phone. There were some bumps and things that I wish I had from the Storm/8400g that the Droid could use, and like some of the things the Droid offers.

One, the virtual keyboard, I use more than I do the slideout on the Droid. The Storm Virtual keyboard is actually much more annoying, especially when it gives spelling suggestions and also the nuisance to push harder on the screen to get something done. While it took a little time to get familiar with the Droid's Virtual keyboard, I found the Portrait Keyboard much easier to use than the Storm's version.

The customization is kind of nice, took awhile to understand the whole Left/Middle/Right as the default 'home' position is the middle, and being the kind of person I am, I always like 'left, then middle, then right'.

As for the Exchange Support, what's the problem? Right now, seems okay to me.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X, Fascinate, G-Tab...
    Previous Handset: iPhone 3GS

Current Smartphone: Motorola DROID

DROID Learning Curve: Approximately 10 Minutes

Value of Switching from AT&T/iPhone to Verizon/DROID = Priceless!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt!!
    I upgraded from a Samsung Omnia with a custom rom running windows mobile 6.5 that I got from modaco.com It wasn't a bad phone at all and the camera was a lot better than the droid's.

As far as the learning curve goes, It was a pretty clean transition moving from the touch screen only omnia to the slide out keyboard. I also used my ipod touch regularly so I find my self using the on screen keyboard a lot. It took just a few minutes for me to figure out some little things, like how to set sms notification to vibrate.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Dr0id
    I switched from an iPhone to Dr0id...

Learning curve was a little more difficult.. And I do mean little.. But I think about someone like my father who managed the iPhone pretty well would have a tougher time navigating through the Dr0id..

(Apple OS's are more user friendly to non technical people and I don't ever see that trend stopping.. But I do see more and more technical people!)
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid X (Rooted), Iphone 4 JB.
    Previous phone was a Samsung SCH I760. Windows Mobile....had it for 2 yrs. Droid is superior to it. (Typing this at St Louis airport)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links