DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swypes Business Model. Lets petition them to change it.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Swypes Business Model. Lets petition them to change it.

Ok, I'm sure everybody knows about swype by now and anybody that has tried it seems to love it myself included.

There is one slight problem though. Swype will never be officially available with their current business model. According to a post on their website

Unofficial Leak: Swype for Android

We did not release this software to the broader market, as our preferred business model is OEM preload of software on devices.

I can think of only one way to have a decent chance of changing their business model, and that is to have everybody that wants them to put it on the market send them a polite email requesting it.

On their website they list this email address. info@swypeinc.com

I think that everybody that likes swype and would be willing to spend money on it should go ahead and send them an email stating how much you like swype and that if it was officially available on the market you would be willing to buy it.

If they start getting hundreds of emails requesting it, I highly doubt that they will continue to ignore the demand from users that are using "unsupported" android phones.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid/Napoleon
    The way I see it is, as long as there's the interwebz people will leak it so it will be available whether legal or not...if they don't want to add it to the market and potentially make $$ off of us, oh well their loss
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hipkik View Post
    if they don't want to add it to the market and potentially make $$ off of us, oh well their loss

Yah well there's lots of people that are too scared to put an app on their phone if they dont get it from the market. this is such a great one that i think it's a shame they dont have it in the market for ppl like my sister. i had to sneak and put it on hers and after initially going ape on me she LUVS it and just like me...would never go back to the old way.
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC DNA
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuGeek View Post
    If they start getting hundreds of emails requesting it, I highly doubt that they will continue to ignore the demand from users that are using "unsupported" android phones.
    This is a company that obviously seems to know what they're doing. They just raised an additional $5M in December.

I would imagine that they've given quite a bit of thought to their business model, and determined that it's most profitable selling Swipe to OEM's rather then directly to customers.

It seems they've already had it released to one device, the Samsung Omnia II.

Now, I could be wrong, but I'd imagine that when they made a deal with Samsung to sell their software for use on the Omnia, that Samsung was told that it would NOT be available to every Android user, or Windows Mobile user, or any other user out there, that it would only be available on a limited number of devices... I'm sure Samsung paid for the use of Swype, and included in their calculation of whether or not it was worth paying for, was the promise of (some type of limited) exclusivity.

Sorry... I highly doubt a few hundred, or thousand e-mails will suddenly convince the developers to change their entire business model.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    You'd be surprised what a few emails can do. Good companies listen to feedback. If every other email that comes into their general email box is about releasing swype on the android market they will pay attention.

If they have an exclusivity contract with samsung (which i doubt as it would hamstring them and prevent them from getting their program on anything else which eliminates a very large portion of potential users) it would very unlikely be a perpetual contract.

I'm betting their prefered business model of getting the OEMs to preload it is due to them thinking that it will get better distribution than just putting it on the market where people may or may not find out about it.

My email to them didn't ask for them to abandon their business model, it asked for them to consider releasing it via the market in addition to trying to get OEMs to preload it.

I know they can see alot of the hype out there and they know their is desire, but seeing it on blogs is alot different than getting your info email address swamped by requests to release it to the public.

Here's the thing though. Sending out an email takes 3 minutes (even less if somebody posts a template email to use), and it has no negatives, but it has potential positives.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Let's think about this. Sell it to a few thousand people for low $$$ and deal with thousands of complaints in thousands of transactions, or sell it to one customer in one transaction.

Don't need a calculator to figure this one out!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Wouldn't it be the case that if they don't sell it directly to customers, someone else will? I think there already is a competitor to Swype now.

If it was in the Market, I'd buy it now, given all the good reviews lately.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ldimick View Post
    Let's think about this. Sell it to a few thousand people for low $$$ and deal with thousands of complaints in thousands of transactions, or sell it to one customer in one transaction.

Don't need a calculator to figure this one out!

Actually, think about it this way, sell it to one customer with thousands of users, then in addition sell it to hundreds of thousands for low $$$.

Currently their business model excludes every existing android phone. Swype is an awesome app, but its not awesome enough for most people to ditch their existing phone / contract to buy a phone with it.

I'm seriously surprised by all the negitivity. How hard is it to write an email?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    In all honesty - its their software, its up to them what to do with it. Fair is fair. If you and me invented it and we wanted to do something specific with it, well, who is to tell us that we can't do that?

Don't get me wrong.. I would pay a FEW dollars for this one. In fact, I'd pay 10 bucks for it. I love it. I mean, I REALLY like it.

Why they want to do it the way they do? Who knows.. but in the end, its their right.

-Wil
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Swype OEM only?

I sent an email. Ya never know!
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links