DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swypes Business Model. Lets petition them to change it.

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Their model is that they will sell it to Motorola to include as the default keyboard on Droid or other models. They think that is the best way for them to make money. Not sure how someone pointing this out is being negative.

Now, if people want to e-mail them (or leave them messages on twitter, etc.) asking them about getting into android market, then more power to them ... but with the vast majority of users wanting only free apps, I am not sure it is in their best interest to be in the market. It would seem that they are on every device if they get the OEM to put it on there, and only on a smaller subset if they are on the market.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I have it on my phone, so I don't really care what their business model is.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Here's how I look at it: I hope they put a supported version on the market, I'd definitely buy it but if they decide not to for reasons that make business sense to them, I've got a version that works and that I am happy with. If it breaks in future releases due to compatibility issues I expect fixes and/or new versions will become available in the same way this one did.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    quote: PS. Our lawyer has asked us to remind everyone about copyright infringement and to inform you that Swype reserves all of its rights.

At this point i don't think they give a damn about our emails
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC DNA
    Any of you see this article?

It is from November, so perhaps it's out of date and no longer relevant, but...
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I find it interesting that their business model is only OEM focused, BUT... they did pick up an additional 5 million in funding which goes a LONG way toward developing and marketing their product. I'm a business professor. I'm writing them to ask their permission to use this as a case study in my Intro to Business classes. Should be interesting to run the numbers.

I'm with many of you about the ethical issue of using their software without permission. If they don't release it for purchase, the right thing to do will be to stop using it. That would be a shame.

Prof Ray
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Hopefully Swype jumps into the Android Market, their product sells itself. But whatever they do, it's still a great product
    Member #
    Sent an email ^.^ Figured that I have nothing to lose. Why not?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Run the numbers

Don't get me wrong. I adore this product and hope to purchase it legitimately soon. HOWEVER, as a Business Professor, I'm constantly reminding my students to "follow the money" when analyzing a business case.

In this forum we have 22,000 members. Let's assume ten thousand decide to purchase Swype at ten bucks a clip. That's a hundred thousand dollars in revenue for Swype. Multiply that by ten to get a hundred thousand sales from all the Droid users out there who will love the product but aren't on this forum. That's still a just a million in revenue.

A million bucks in revenue is most likely pocket change compared to an OEM multi-year contract. Not to mention the support efforts to work with a hundred thousand end users who all purchased the software is a HUGE difference from working with the likes of Motorola or Verizon to provide support training to their call center CSRs.

This gets at economies of scale. These guys entered the market at a much higher level than our average developer working at home on a cool app that probably won't sell but will be a great free app. That's just a far different business model.

I sure hope they reserve the right to sell an end-user version no matter who they sell as an OEM license. That'd be a no-brainer to purchase.

Happy New Year, fellow Droid Aficionados,

Prof Ray
    Recovering Storm Abuser
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    XT1080M
    Swype gets a boatload of money from Samsung, Nokia | WMExperts

Just the other day we were talking about how the "L337 |-|4><0r3r$" swiped Swype from the Verizon Omnia II.We also lamented both in print and the podcast about how this is a double edged sword for the little Seattle company: tons of exposure and praise, but peeps are stealing your goods! Then again, we suggested that OEMs may see the great press featuring Swype and see they want that on their devices.

Looks like the latter happened (we won't say told you so). Nokia and Samsung have invested $5.6 million into the fledgling company, which has to have caused a lot of popping of corks this week.

Guess we can look forward to more Swype in official (and unofficial) devices in 2010. Sounds good to us. Speaking of, are you using Swype yet?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links