DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Do you think the Android community has too much infighting?

  1. Droid
    BlackOtaku's Avatar
    Member #
    16464
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    52
    Phone
    Droid 1; Bugless Beast v0.6.1
    #1

    Do you think the Android community has too much infighting?

    I read a lot of Android blogs, forums, etc. as my Droid 1 came into my life a little more than a year ago (Nov. 28 2010) and Android quickly took over my life as a result. I love the rumors, the discussions, and almost everything to do with the Android community. When I first got my Droid, it was a much simpler time: sure, Android phones existed before it but few outside of T-Mobile. Android phones generally came to market lacking multitouch support in their default apps and it was thought at the time that it was because Apple had a patent on it (they didn't). Any infighting done in the community at the time typically was more between developers and their respective supporters (wow, anyone remember AllDroid? Or the old SholesMod team? Seems so long ago now).

    Now though, I see a lot of flame comments directed at certain manufacturers and the people who buy from them (not really here though, DF is a fairly well-kept place) and fanboyism towards others. General immaturity seems to abound lately, someone is always trying to provoke someone else. Of course, that's how the internet works; but it doesn't seem like it was always like that, and the Apple community seems to get along much better with each other. What do you all think?
    Main phone: Motorola Droid 1 on Verizon. Rooted, running Bugless Beast.
    Favorite phone (but no data plan): Nexus S, bootloader unlocked, rooted, running CyanogenMod 7 Alpha 2.
    Future phone: Moto Droid Bionic on Verizon (Tegra 2 & QHD )
    I just can't quit you, Moto.
  2. RS Lead
    dezymond's Avatar
    Member #
    3167
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    10,397
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    #2
    Well since Android is an open source, you're going to have individual "camps" for different developers. I personally suggest CyanogenMod when I was rooted and promoted it to my friends. Was it for all of them? No, but that's the beauty of android, choices.

    We all have our personal preferences and some of us voice that opinion stronger than others, but I do not knock the hard work of the other developers one bit. The fact that they took the time and effort to give me another option is great and I truly appreciate that from them.

    Some users come and go on this forum, but the regulars are all mature and respect the community and the peoples' choices.

    Some of us hate Moto, and some of us will only take HTC. Others swear by Samsung and that no phone will ever be as good as the D1. All different preferences, but we all got something in common, we love our Droids
  3. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    I read a lot of Android blogs, forums, etc. as my Droid 1 came into my life a little more than a year ago (Nov. 28 2010) and Android quickly took over my life as a result. I love the rumors, the discussions, and almost everything to do with the Android community. When I first got my Droid, it was a much simpler time: sure, Android phones existed before it but few outside of T-Mobile. Android phones generally came to market lacking multitouch support in their default apps and it was thought at the time that it was because Apple had a patent on it (they didn't). Any infighting done in the community at the time typically was more between developers and their respective supporters (wow, anyone remember AllDroid? Or the old SholesMod team? Seems so long ago now).

    Now though, I see a lot of flame comments directed at certain manufacturers and the people who buy from them (not really here though, DF is a fairly well-kept place) and fanboyism towards others. General immaturity seems to abound lately, someone is always trying to provoke someone else. Of course, that's how the internet works; but it doesn't seem like it was always like that, and the Apple community seems to get along much better with each other. What do you all think?
    Yes, android fanboys are a special breed. Hating on devs, hating on apple, hating on manufacturers, and hating on each other is common. Its pretty sad really...

    Its just a phone people. Relax. You're not smarter because you have one.

    Sent from my Droid
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  4. Master Droid
    Wuzz Ranger's Avatar
    Member #
    39634
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    391
    Phone
    Fascinate
    #4
    People's opinions are just that. Some people forget that we are on the same side and let their ignorance boast their feeling of "I know everything" mentality.

    It is very sad.




    Network Administrator by day/ Xbox Freak by night
  5. Premium Member
    hookbill's Avatar
    Member #
    10332
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    19,575
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    [

    Yes, android fanboys are a special breed. Hating on devs, hating on apple, hating on manufacturers, and hating on each other is common. Its pretty sad really...

    Its just a phone people. Relax. You're not smarter because you have one.

    Sent from my Droid
    I'll talk with czerdrill next, OP you are correct the flaming has increased even in DF. I've noticed the amount of posts that just express hatred for anything Apple have increased, specially since iPhone came to Verizon.

    czerdrill, I agree with you. Specially the idea that if you have a Droid you're smarter then someone else. There are some people who definitely have that opinion. That's really nothing new, I remember seeing a cartoon about it a while back.

    What happens however is that some people will choose to engage in these discussions instead of just stating an opinion and letting it be. That's when it escalates to flaming, and some people are very clever at how they do it. What happens is they just push the apple haters buttons just enough for them to loose control and go off. Next thing you know I have a reported post.

    So to a certain extent, people who engage those that make negative comments towards apple are just as guilty for starting the flame process.

    It's OK to state an opinion. "I hate Apple. I don't know why, I just do." Someone who says something like that shouldn't even get a response because obviously they don't know what they are talking about. Yet we do have people who will take issue with something like that and then we have a battle.

    I'm no saint, I've done it myself. Someone said the other day that people who buy Apple products are idiots. I responded with please tone the Apple hate down and stop calling me an idiot.

    Then occasionally there are the ROM fanboys wars. I don't see that too often anymore but it does happen. Usually that's just one person who prefers another ROM going into some other area and preaching their thoughts. That's also trolling, at least in my book.

    It takes two to tango they say. If you ignore responses that are not well thought out, these wars can be prevented.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    [

    Yes, android fanboys are a special breed. Hating on devs, hating on apple, hating on manufacturers, and hating on each other is common. Its pretty sad really...

    Its just a phone people. Relax. You're not smarter because you have one.

    Sent from my Droid
    I'll talk with czerdrill next, OP you are correct the flaming has increased even in DF. I've noticed the amount of posts that just express hatred for anything Apple have increased, specially since iPhone came to Verizon.

    czerdrill, I agree with you. Specially the idea that if you have a Droid you're smarter then someone else. There are some people who definitely have that opinion. That's really nothing new, I remember seeing a cartoon about it a while back.

    What happens however is that some people will choose to engage in these discussions instead of just stating an opinion and letting it be. That's when it escalates to flaming, and some people are very clever at how they do it. What happens is they just push the apple haters buttons just enough for them to loose control and go off. Next thing you know I have a reported post.

    So to a certain extent, people who engage those that make negative comments towards apple are just as guilty for starting the flame process.

    It's OK to state an opinion. "I hate Apple. I don't know why, I just do." Someone who says something like that shouldn't even get a response because obviously they don't know what they are talking about. Yet we do have people who will take issue with something like that and then we have a battle.

    I'm no saint, I've done it myself. Someone said the other day that people who buy Apple products are idiots. I responded with please tone the Apple hate down and stop calling me an idiot.

    Then occasionally there are the ROM fanboys wars. I don't see that too often anymore but it does happen. Usually that's just one person who prefers another ROM going into some other area and preaching their thoughts. That's also trolling, at least in my book.

    It takes two to tango they say. If you ignore responses that are not well thought out, these wars can be prevented.
    I agree, and I'm definitely guilty of that too. I've gotta learn to ignore the people who are just obvious fanboys and have no idea what they're talking about because getting into a flame war makes me look just as bad too. Sometimes, it's tough though when they say things that are so ridiculous that you're thinking "there is now way someone can be this dumb" haha....

    Yeah the ROM wars have quieted down except when BD comes out with a ROM. Then we always have the kids coming into BD's section talking about giving credit or Cyanogenmod. I just find that funny, cuz wow...it's just a phone. Relax. But eh...that's the internet for ya.
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Droid
    BlackOtaku's Avatar
    Member #
    16464
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    52
    Phone
    Droid 1; Bugless Beast v0.6.1
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I'll talk with czerdrill next, OP you are correct the flaming has increased even in DF. I've noticed the amount of posts that just express hatred for anything Apple have increased, specially since iPhone came to Verizon.
    It really stepped up the competition, and some felt threatened; I'm personally still irritated that Verizon almost completely dropped it's advertising for anything else after it got the iPhone. Yeah, I can see why Big Red did it: I don't see why they did it at the expense of their FIRST 4G PHONE. Shouldn't that at least be a big deal for a network?[/rant]

    That being said, it is irritating to see people just blindly flaming about anyone, Moto, HTC, Apple, whoever without contributing anything to a discussion. I got called out as an Apple fanboy on some video's comments because I stated that I would might buy an iPad 2 to show support for Apple -- If they open-sourced iOS and removed the App Store's GPL incompatibility (two things that'll never happen). A knee-jerk reaction if there ever was one; I own no Apple devices (save for a old iPod Classic) and run Ubuntu on my laptop. 'But Apple is evil and unredeemablez!!'
    Main phone: Motorola Droid 1 on Verizon. Rooted, running Bugless Beast.
    Favorite phone (but no data plan): Nexus S, bootloader unlocked, rooted, running CyanogenMod 7 Alpha 2.
    Future phone: Moto Droid Bionic on Verizon (Tegra 2 & QHD )
    I just can't quit you, Moto.
  8. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I'll talk with czerdrill next, OP you are correct the flaming has increased even in DF. I've noticed the amount of posts that just express hatred for anything Apple have increased, specially since iPhone came to Verizon.
    It really stepped up the competition, and some felt threatened; I'm personally still irritated that Verizon almost completely dropped it's advertising for anything else after it got the iPhone. Yeah, I can see why Big Red did it: I don't see why they did it at the expense of their FIRST 4G PHONE. Shouldn't that at least be a big deal for a network?[/rant]

    That being said, it is irritating to see people just blindly flaming about anyone, Moto, HTC, Apple, whoever without contributing anything to a discussion. I got called out as an Apple fanboy on some video's comments because I stated that I would might buy an iPad 2 to show support for Apple -- If they open-sourced iOS and removed the App Store's GPL incompatibility (two things that'll never happen). A knee-jerk reaction if there ever was one; I own no Apple devices (save for a old iPod Classic) and run Ubuntu on my laptop. 'But Apple is evil and unredeemablez!!'

    About the 4g phone thing, it just doesn't have as much weight as the iPhone. Is that right? Maybe not. But that's just what it is. iPhone anything is going to trump any other phone (I'm talking about wow factor, not necessarily that the iPhone is better). As we can see, LTE is on the backburner because of the iPhone. Android is on the backburner because of iPhone. iPhone is their flagship device now, and once the LTE iPhone comes out that will be where the bulk of their marketing goes. It may not be the best phone, but it's the one that can get them the most new customers. Not the thunderbolt or the bionic or any other phone.
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  9. Droid Sensei
    takeshi's Avatar
    Member #
    10236
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,600
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    Now though, I see a lot of flame comments directed at certain manufacturers and the people who buy from them (not really here though, DF is a fairly well-kept place) and fanboyism towards others. General immaturity seems to abound lately, someone is always trying to provoke someone else.
    "Lately"? It's been like this for a very long time. As always, consider the source. It's really not worth arguing with fanboys.
    Last edited by takeshi; 02-22-2011 at 12:55 PM.
  10. RS Admin
    pc747's Avatar
    Member #
    18832
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    16,629
    Liked
    1690 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    [

    Yes, android fanboys are a special breed. Hating on devs, hating on apple, hating on manufacturers, and hating on each other is common. Its pretty sad really...

    Its just a phone people. Relax. You're not smarter because you have one.

    Sent from my Droid
    I'll talk with czerdrill next, OP you are correct the flaming has increased even in DF. I've noticed the amount of posts that just express hatred for anything Apple have increased, specially since iPhone came to Verizon.

    czerdrill, I agree with you. Specially the idea that if you have a Droid you're smarter then someone else. There are some people who definitely have that opinion. That's really nothing new, I remember seeing a cartoon about it a while back.

    What happens however is that some people will choose to engage in these discussions instead of just stating an opinion and letting it be. That's when it escalates to flaming, and some people are very clever at how they do it. What happens is they just push the apple haters buttons just enough for them to loose control and go off. Next thing you know I have a reported post.

    So to a certain extent, people who engage those that make negative comments towards apple are just as guilty for starting the flame process.

    It's OK to state an opinion. "I hate Apple. I don't know why, I just do." Someone who says something like that shouldn't even get a response because obviously they don't know what they are talking about. Yet we do have people who will take issue with something like that and then we have a battle.

    I'm no saint, I've done it myself. Someone said the other day that people who buy Apple products are idiots. I responded with please tone the Apple hate down and stop calling me an idiot.

    Then occasionally there are the ROM fanboys wars. I don't see that too often anymore but it does happen. Usually that's just one person who prefers another ROM going into some other area and preaching their thoughts. That's also trolling, at least in my book.

    It takes two to tango they say. If you ignore responses that are not well thought out, these wars can be prevented.
    agreed..................

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Different Android UI's from the community?
    By OwenNBA in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM
  2. New here to the Android community
    By iDr0id in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
  3. Hello Android community.
    By Alphinia in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 09:07 PM
  4. Hello Android Community!
    By Goodfella in forum New Member Introductions & Site Assistance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Search tags for this page

android community forums

,
android community forums.net
,
can you get cartoon wars for android
,
cant find cartoon wars on android
,
is android have a cartoon wars
,
too much android
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+