DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon IS Throttling!?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt, Droid A855, VL600

Verizon IS Throttling!?

Verizon quietly begins throttling data as iPhone launch looms

Terms & Conditions

Too lazy to follow some links? Basically *from what I understand* if you signed up for data on Verizon AFTER Feb. 3rd, you are in the Throttling Program!

Don't know if that means if you get a new phone after the 3rd you're enrolled too, but that would suck.

This is just an FYI by the way, but if you have some info to contribute, by all means...

3. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    interesting...

regulating caching is a good idea, probably wouldn't even have noticed the difference if it was mentioned. Besides it only affects 5% of their customers. As a user who only averages about 2GB a month i don't think I'd fall into that category and I use my phone alot compared to the many people i know.

I know there are some real heavy users here, but from what I can tell there aren't too many of us that hit that mythical 5gb cap

Thanks for the heads up though! this was new to me
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    The very first month i got my smartphone i had racked up 3.5 GB of use, and this is in an area where i see speeds between 35-60 Kb/s.

In my old area (which i am moving back to in a few months) the network speed is a healthy 150/s average, and it is a more heavily populated area with the same typical signal strength. What gives :/
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Here's what I don't understand.

I read the occasional thread about getting a Netflix app or some other such service that will stream video/audio. I read countless threads about the thirst for 4g.

Those things just look like a quicker way to get throttled. In the case of Netflix I'd have the opportunity to pay for my throttling. Isn't that nice?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Well 32GB being my record, well, I'm probably in the top 5 users (not percent) so I mean if you're one of the other four, heads up!

You can probably go over 5GB since it's the top 5% of users, I'm sure plenty of Verizon's millions of users regularly hit 30, even 40GB/month.

And just a side note, data "hogs" like me have little if any effect on the overall network speed, even if I was constantly streaming data 24/7 you wouldn't notice anything, I represent ONE phone on a network of millions, even 100 people can't do anything. And now that the iPhone is out, I still see no difference in speed, it seems Verizon has unlimited capacity. lol if only.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Looks like my average is about 4 gb per month. And that doesnt include video streaming. Now that playon supports the android w flash this is only going to go up. Man I hope they dont go to a tiered plan cause it will KILL me.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyco2008 View Post
    And just a side note, data "hogs" like me have little if any effect on the overall network speed, even if I was constantly streaming data 24/7 you wouldn't notice anything, I represent ONE phone on a network of millions, even 100 people can't do anything.
    One data hog doesn't. 5% of data users is far more than 100 users though and there's no way you can conclusively state that they do not have any impact.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by cnmsales View Post
    Looks like my average is about 4 gb per month. And that doesnt include video streaming. Now that playon supports the android w flash this is only going to go up. Man I hope they dont go to a tiered plan cause it will KILL me.
    You're grandfathered into Unlimited Data, even if it was capped, you're fine.

Is there any evidence that the network IS overloaded?

iPwns did nothing......... Still get 1.4-2.0 Mbps down.

Of course it could have gone to hell in New York or Vegas, etc.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Well, if they sold 1M VZW IPhones, that would be about 5% more users. But keep in mind the average user uses less than 500megs a month. I'd love to see that stats, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the top 5% are 35% (or more) of total data use. I'm sure the top 5% are easily over 5gigs, which is more than 10X the average user.

Still, 5% is 5% so if they were at capacity in some markets you'd expect that to push us past the tipping point. Like I said though, VZW has only said they MAY throttle/cap in the future. And I think the reality is if the smartphone base increases 50-100% this year, and proportionately for the heavy user base as well, then VZW might have a real problem which is why they've reserved the right to throttle.
    Last edited by kodiak799; 02-17-2011 at 03:22 PM.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Yeah I read a couple of articles saying Verizon throttling is highly unlikely, and would, in layman's terms, really piss off us Verizon users.

But they'll do what they have to in oder to maintain "America's largest and most reliable 3G network" status I suppose.

My opinion is that $30/month for unlimited 1-2Mbps internet is a very fair price, Bellsouth/AT&T DSL is a little more expensive for the same (slightly slower actually) speed. I also think that if you are going to provide internet, the least you can do is maintain it for the thousands of new users as well as the loyal old customers, especially since ISPs like Comcast and Bellsouth do it. Given they're land-based, Verizon makes enough money...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links