DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Tethered Droid to Laptop, Remote Desktop on Laptop To another computer HELP

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question Tethered Droid to Laptop, Remote Desktop on Laptop To another computer HELP

Ok I have tethered my DROID to my Laptop using PDAnet. Now being connected. I need to know how to set up a remote desktop on my Laptop to connect to another computer. I have been using Ultra VNC Server, but I don't know what settings I need to Change in the droid to unlock port 5900 to be able to connect the Remote Desktop.... THanks for any help.

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    It may not be possible. I had similar problems with my Q9c & pdaNet trying to use vnc single-click. It seems the port-forwarding capabilities of pdaNet weren't up to snuff; ran into the same problems with stand-alone IM software too.

I read somewhere about installing ufw (unix firewall) on a rooted droid, which may give better port-forwarding capabilities, but I can't seem to find that link now. If I run across it again or come up with any other solutions I'll come back and post it.

Good luck,
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    hmmmmmm anyone?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid
    IIRC, you don't need to port forward 5900 on the client end to connect to a vnc server. If you have port 5900 open on the server end, that's all you need.

Actually, if you read more into VNC, all you need is a port open on either the client of the server. VNC supports reversing the connection where it turns the client into a listening agent on port 5900 so that a server can connect to it from behind a firewall.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    The problem I ran into was that port 5900 wasn't being forwarded properly by the phone, didn't matter which was host or client.

Looking at azilink (another android tethering program), they use the adb command 'forward' as part of their setup. If you have adb installed on the host you could try the same command for port 5900 and see if it helps. Or see if you can use azilink instead of pdanet to get it to work.

Good luck,
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I know absolutely nothing about VNC but I ran accross this page showing how to connect to xbox live using pdanet. In the video it explains how to set ports so it might be useful. Hope this helps. The address of that video is: How to Tether Your Android Phone to Connect to Xbox Live (PC+Wired) - Top channel for all News, Videos, & Images

Links