DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Company Email on my Droid Pro

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro

Company Email on my Droid Pro

I'd like to get my company email on my phone. I don't have to have anything synced from Outlook other than the email. Am I able to do this on the native app and $30 data plan through Verizon?
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    As long as they have/use Active Sync (MS Exchange) AND allow for mobile devices (specifically running Android). If they are only using BB mail servers or have mobiles blocked than no, at least not directly (you might still be able to 'forward' mail to your phone). Does your company have an online portal to access your email account (e.g. webmail.yourcompany.com)?
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    You might want to check if your allowed to access company email on a non-company device.

Here where I work it is grounds for immediate termination.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Until the most recent changes to the email.apk's I was able to access my Exchange with the "corporate" email app. Not sure what has changed so I switched to Touchdown. It is an awesome app and well worth the price, if you have Outlook/Exchange.

And as BnB said, definitely verify with your company to see if they have any restrictions.

Mike
    Forgive your enemies it messes with their minds!
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    []I switched to Touchdown. It is an awesome app and well worth the price, if you have Outlook/Exchange.

And as BnB said, definitely verify with your company to see if they have any restrictions.

Mike
    Yes, if you can gain access def get TouchDown (use the free trail first). It's FAR beyond the included corporate client. If your company has the web-access you can get all the info you need from there:
    Log in, select options, on the menu on the left go to 'Mobile Devices' (if it's there, if not you have your answer).

While BnB has a point just ask them if they 'allow non-company devices' NOT if Android is supported... they likely don't know... the idi**s at my work said that Android wouldn't/couldn't work, yeah..... they have since sent several new employees to me to help them setup their Droids after they couldn't (you might have to 'activate' the phone via the web-access portal)....
    Last edited by KZIWarrior; 01-10-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    What about the situation with the different data plans? Is that going to be a problem? I have the $30 one.

Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    As long as they have/use Active Sync (MS Exchange) AND allow for mobile devices (specifically running Android). If they are only using BB mail servers or have mobiles blocked than no, at least not directly (you might still be able to 'forward' mail to your phone). Does your company have an online portal to access your email account (e.g. webmail.yourcompany.com)?
    Yes, we do have a web portal.

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    You might want to check if your allowed to access company email on a non-company device.

Here where I work it is grounds for immediate termination.
    At our office, you're most definitely not allowed to connect without prior permissions. I plan to discuss it with the guy that handles it sometime this week, because we'll be out on an audit together.

Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    []I switched to Touchdown. It is an awesome app and well worth the price, if you have Outlook/Exchange.

Mike
    Yet, if you can gain access def get TouchDown (use the free trail first). It's FAR beyond the included corporate client. If your company has the web-access you can get all the info you need from there:
    Log in, select options, on the menu on the left go to 'Mobile Devices' (if it's there, if not you have your answer).

While BnB has a point just ask them if they 'allow non-company devices' NOT if Android is supported... they likely don't know... the idi**s at my work said that Android wouldn't/couldn't work, yeah..... they have since sent several new employees to me to help them setup their Droids after they couldn't (you might have to 'activate' the phone via the web-access portal)....
    They do allow non-company devices, as they don't offer a company phone anyways. At least one person there (who is also an IT guy) has a Droid, so I'm assuming mine should work.
  7. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    What is the policy for accessing via an personal computer? If the permit, does someone verify the security on a regular schedule?
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by gsu_golfer View Post
    What about the situation with the different data plans? Is that going to be a problem? I have the $30 one.
    That's all you need (actually use just need the $15 one, though that was on their old pricing). The 'different' data packages (again, old pricing) were for the BlackBerries. In order for BB to connect to your exchange email you would need the 'email' package (it was $30 compared to the normal $15 internet package). With Droids you just need a internet package (cheapest one that works for you). You don't need any sort of 'exchange' or 'email' package as Droid connect via the internet (don't know what/how the BBs do it, but they've always charged extra for it, one reason RIM is hemorrhaging market share).

They do allow non-company devices, as they don't offer a company phone anyways. At least one person there (who is also an IT guy) has a Droid, so I'm assuming mine should work.
    Yep, means the company is allowing Android clients to connect so anyone should be able to (though they could do it on a case by case basis, but at least it's possible). Again after you get permission d/l the TouchDown app (actually do it first, don't even bother with the default client, it sucks).
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Pro
    What is the policy for accessing via an personal computer? If the permit, does someone verify the security on a regular schedule?
    I don't know the policy on that. I'd have to ask. Good thing to think about, I suppose.
  10. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I don't know the policy on that. I'd have to ask. Good thing to think about, I suppose.

Prior to retiring, I worked in IT and for me, I do not see a lot of difference between accessing the network with a handheld vs a laptop. Both are portable and can be lost or stolen. You can add software to both that will lock and or wipe should either turn up missing. Hopefully, your company will have a policy that covers them and you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links