DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Big Upgrading Dilemma

  1. Junior Droid
    SniperKing97's Avatar
    Member #
    158067
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11
    Phone
    Droid X
    #1

    Big Upgrading Dilemma

    Hi there!
    So I'm really caught in a bind here...
    Right now I have an EnV3 with just txt/calling and I really want to delve into the Android awesomeness.
    However, I've been reading up on every tidbit of info on CES and I was originally planning on waiting for the Thunderbolt/Bionic. As of right now, it looks like these phones won't be out for a good 3-4 months (even 2 months is a long time since I'm already so drawn in to getting one).

    So my dilemma basically is:

    A) Make use of Verizon's Smartphones Talk Free to get $240 credit, buy a Droid X (maybe DInc) with my Promo Price Upgrade now (NE2 discount since it's been about 26 months?) and keep it until later this year where I can transfer (I Believe...) an upgrade from another family line.

    B)Wait for the ThunderBolt and maybe use that family line upgrade next year or something if option A is not a logical choice.

    There are several factors that might make me want to wait it out:
    1)I don't know if I get a DX now, I can transfer an upgrade and use it so close to a purchase now.
    2)If I get the DX, can I sell it once I buy just say the Bionic in April or will this incur lots of charges?
    3) No one can answer this now but if I try to get the Bionic I might need to change data plans to 4g... thus ruining my Talk Free Credit.

    I know it's a wall of text but I'm really on the fence, and I don't I can wait if it's option A will rack up lots of charges for activation, termination, etc.
    Thanks so much for any help!
  2. Master Droid
    hoppermi's Avatar
    Member #
    102063
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    837
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    #2
    Yes you can use another family plan upgrade anytime you want.
    I'm not sure what it costs to activate a new phone but it is probably nominal. ($40?)
    There is no penalty for selling your phone if you get a new one, just canceling your contract.
    If you plan on changing phones often, sign up for 1 year contracts only. It'll cost more for the phone, $70 I believe, but you will get quicker upgrades.

    Hope this helps with some of your questions.
    Super AMOLED+.....FTW!
  3. Junior Droid
    SniperKing97's Avatar
    Member #
    158067
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11
    Phone
    Droid X
    #3
    Okay thanks a lot!
    In the future I may switch to 1 yr contracts but for right now I'm fine with two as I can pretty much take my mom's upgrade since she is fine with her phone now.
    That nominal activation fee will not be a problem for me then, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "cancelling your contract".
    What's vague to me is the period where I switch from the Droid X to the Bionic. I see that I'll need to pay for the Bionic activation, but to do the switch do I need to DEactivate my DX, therefore incurring an Early Termination Fee, which would be $350??
  4. Master Droid
    hoppermi's Avatar
    Member #
    102063
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    837
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperKing97 View Post
    Okay thanks a lot!
    In the future I may switch to 1 yr contracts but for right now I'm fine with two as I can pretty much take my mom's upgrade since she is fine with her phone now.
    That nominal activation fee will not be a problem for me then, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "cancelling your contract".
    What's vague to me is the period where I switch from the Droid X to the Bionic. I see that I'll need to pay for the Bionic activation, but to do the switch do I need to DEactivate my DX, therefore incurring an Early Termination Fee, which would be $350??
    Switching phones will just incur the activation fee. Canceling your contract would be dropping a line, or leaving Verizon entirely.
    Super AMOLED+.....FTW!
  5. Junior Droid
    SniperKing97's Avatar
    Member #
    158067
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11
    Phone
    Droid X
    #5
    Awesome. It looks like I'll be joining the Android world very soon!
    Thanks again for the clarification.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. dilemma with choosing Droid
    By TomRep in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
  2. I have a dilemma, what should I do here?
    By sKunk in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 11:29 AM
  3. Case/car mount dilemma
    By OHbowhunter in forum Android Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 08:20 PM
  4. Car Mount Dilemma
    By RJC5XTC in forum Android Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
  5. A little dilemma... help needed
    By CKyle22 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 09:49 PM

Search tags for this page

penalty for canceling smart phone upgrade?

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+