DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android Trojans and Security Concerns

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr

Android Trojans and Security Concerns

I'm sure everyone is aware of the very real privacy and security concerns associated with downloading and installing new applications that aren't verified, so on and so forth. Has anyone else seen that China is a breeding ground for malware for this platform? It'll be in our backyard before you know it.

I'm interested if you guys have more insight into how this stuff works and how it proliferates the phone!

PC Magazine - Article on 'Most Sophisticated' Android Trojan
    CNET - Article on SMS Spamming Malware
    Gizmodo - First Droid Trojan Found

Share your insight. If you're a phone oriented technical person, don't dumb it down, please.

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Centura
    Premium Member
    I posted it the other day, and everyone blew it off. It will become a serious issue, but people can't see the big picture.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    D1, X, Tbolt, DC, DB, GNex, S4
    Premium Member
    All I have to say is be careful of what you download. When you start downloading apps from third parties, and third party apps, that's when problems start to occurr at higher rates.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)A Dummies Guide To Android Terminoligy & Lingo
    2.)What you need to know about rooting:
    3.)Multiple phones - Root them, unroot them
    New to android or just need to brush up on the basics? Abe has every thing you need Here:
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Well, lets start with some of the information that these people can grab from your phone:

• Phone Number
    • E-Mail Address
    • Installed Applications
    • Ring Tones
    • Pictures
    • Contact's Phone Numbers
    • Web Browser History
    • Incriminating Text Messages (blackmail)
    • Saved Account Passwords (Twitter, Facebook, GMail, Flickr, Tumblr, and anything that's stored in your phone's web browser)
    • GPS Tracking of everywhere your phone goes....

They can then sell all of this information to other people to market other products to you. Those pictures of your girlfriend/wife could end up on one of my websites, or if you bring your phone with you to work, there's an opportunity for network infiltration by using your phone as a tunnel to the network....

Nobody cares? Really?

Sorry, call me paranoid pete, but a mobile device that has been hijacked is a much greater concern than a stationary computer to me.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    DROID Bionic
    I understand you're more concerned about malware and whatnot on your phone rather than your PC but...

There are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of malware/spyware programs for your PC where you have pictures/perform banking transactions/make purchases/search personal information, but you don't freak out.

There is like 2-3 malware/spyware programs for your phone and you're crapping bricks.

Just relax IMO, don't be an idiot and download a wallpaper app that has access to *EVERYTHING* on your phone, and you won't have anything to worry about.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    If only you were told what parts of your phone you're giving an app access to before you install it... oh wait, you do.

Don't be a lazy idiot and you won't get malicious software on your phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    As others have stated.... there are thousands of threats for you PC but only a handful for Android (and for now they're geographically centralized).... nothing to panic over.

Pay attention to application permissions upon install and be especially alert when installing 3rd party applications.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    This thread was started initially as an awareness thread, but it seems you guys are far more naive than I anticipated, so I will address your points.

Quote Originally Posted by vatothe0 View Post
    If only you were told what parts of your phone you're giving an app access to before you install it... oh wait, you do.

Don't be a lazy idiot and you won't get malicious software on your phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I'm not referring simply to apps that have been installed. This malware can be installed drive-by style when you access certain websites, particularly if you're using an alternate internet browser, alternate applications that query data from a remote web server (nearly every android app on your phone), or if your phone is rooted.

This is not as simple as 'Oh, I just won't install apps from untrusted sources'. That's the most risque method of installation, but not the only.

There are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of malware/spyware programs for your PC where you have pictures/perform banking transactions/make purchases/search personal information, but you don't freak out.
    I run a Linux based OS where malware in general is much less prevalent and logging of inbound/outbound connections is easier and enabled by default. My home network is secured through a router. I don't do banking from home, and I have a bank that is willing to reimburse me for unauthorized transactions.

None of this is the case with a mobile phone.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    'drive by style' apps?

Nothing gets installed without you 'ok'ing it.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    'drive by style' apps?

Nothing gets installed without you 'ok'ing it.
    Not 'drive by style apps', Malware installed 'drive by' style, or 'on the fly'. If there's a flaw, memory leak, or other fault in the software you're using, it can be used as a backdoor access to your phone (definitely if your phone has been rooted. Proof of concept examples are out for factory default settings).

Example: Flash Player's LSO's, more commonly referred to as "flash cookies" are currently being installed on Android based phones that have the Flash player installed. Granted, they can be cleared, but there's a long standing history of them being used maliciously, and the only way to clear them is to go to Adobe's page to clear them (https://settings.adobe.com/flashplayer/mobile/).

Again, the point of this thread is to bring awareness to stuff, so that stuff like this doesn't happen:

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=10160
    http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com...droid-malware/ <--Worth reading
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=225300284 and this one is particular to those of you installing ROMs willy nilly, just because they brag about cool features. I'm sure those of you who are doing this won't be reading this thread, though.
    Last edited by qat; 01-03-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links