DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting HTC Thunderbird.

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Thinking about getting HTC Thunderbird.

Im thinking of getting the HTC Thunderbird when it releases, (should be sometime in January) for a number of reasons. But after reading an article, it mentioned the lack of a Dual-Core processor and with 4g being still fresh, that some android 4g devices with a dual core processor are sure to come.

My question is how important/noticable will a dual core processor be? I currently have a Droid 2.
  2. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    no one knows what a dual core feels like. I know there is one cell prototype, i believe, out there (LG star?) that is dual core and i know there are a couple of comparison videos out there.

i like to think of it like a computer, Pentium 4 vs dual core. The difference will be noticeable, but it also depends on the software too (remember Vista? lol).

just gotta play the waiting game.....
    Last edited by dezymond; 12-28-2010 at 11:03 PM.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    no one knows what a dual core feels like. I know there is one cell prototype, i believe, out there (LG star?) that is dual core and i know there are a couple of comparison videos out there.

i like to think of it like a computer, Pentium 4 vs dual core. The difference will be noticeable, but it also depends on the software too (remember Vista? lol).

just gotta play the waiting game.....
    Lol yea that's what I want to do least is the waiting game, im tired of getting these BS "certified like new" devices im on my 2nd one already, I don't understand why your not entitled to a brand new replacement if you bought a brand new phone. Its like exchanging a new shirt because it was ripped, and in return the store gives you a used stained shirt.

Well yea if I look at it that way then the I-series of new processors are a noticeable upgrade.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    In all likely-hood the performance difference between these 'first-gen' dual cores and a well used (i.e. optimized) single core CPU will be minimal for most normal activities (i.e. phone, calendar, email ect.). First you have to realize (just like with the first 64-bit and subsequent multi-core processors) that the OS (in this case Android) hasn't been optimized for them and it will take a lot of tweaking (likely mainly by custom ROM Builders) to really utilize them. But again, how fast do you need your email client to open. Now videos and games are another story but it will be months before any good games would 'utilize' the true ability of them. Plus you have to remember the bottom line - more CPU cycles shorter battery life, so while you're email client will open faster and games will undoubtedly look better and run faster (if you are into mobile gaming) is it worth 1/2 the battery life of the already short battery life these devices are getting? Even with throttling (which stock kernels don't do nearly as much of as customs) you'll be using a ton of battery life just being in standby.
    Last edited by KZIWarrior; 12-28-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  5. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    that's the way electronics work. when they're CLNR, means the manufacturer is saying it would be like buying a new device, but you are getting it at a cheaper price, or in the case of motorola, free.

I'm anxious to see how the new dual core devices will perform. from the videos i've seen it really is a noticeable upgrade. however, i believe the first wave of devices might seem a little rush and i just got a new contract last month.

i'll let 4g and the devices grow, new technology is gonna be great by the time i can upgrade.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Htc Incredible
    HTC Thunderbird? Don't you mean thunderbolt?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    KZI you made some real good points and while I am a gamer, im not much of a mobile one (maybe android devs change that for me later down the road). I have not yet rooted my D2, but im planning on doing so soon so I can see the difference for myself. I probably wont be switching back after all I've read lol.

I've dealt with Motorola customer service a number of times and all I have to say about them are horrible things, which is why I want HTC to see for myself if theres a difference in quality of customer service and in the phones. But I also want to take advantage of 4g I do alot of browsing and Im covered under 4g.

I am actually thinking of waiting to see when news of a dual core will spring up soon, anyone have any info? And Oops yea I meant htc thunderbolt lol
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Yeah motorola sucks... This is my first moto product of any type in years and will be my last... Love(d) HTC and Samsung. here's hoping Vizio starts making phones

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I guess I'll wait to else HTC has to announce at CES. I doubt they'll be pushing out something dual core so soon after unveiling their first 4g phone.

I hear nothing but good things from HTC, but I'll look into the LG star a little more too. So many choices lol

BTW, nice sig lol
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Htc Incredible
    I have a HTC incredible and I love it. The only thing is I think 2.2 killed my battery life. MOTO isn't for me either, but the are supposedly announcing a dual core phone at
    C.E.S. called the MOTO Etna. But again, we won't know until C.E.S. has anyone heard anything on the HTC "scorpion"? Rumor has it that HTC changed things up and it will be a dual core lte phone when it is finally released.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links