DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" for ANDROID

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" for ANDROID

Why is it that everything ANDROID does have to imitate APPLE? Samsung fascinate, Samsung Galaxy and now Samsung Galaxy player. I would like to see android not copy apple just to give us a cheaper alternative. Every new release has to be an ipad killer, an ipod killer or iphone killer....these days. Can't we just look beyong apple? Give me a break.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DX2
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdroid View Post
    Why is it that everything ANDROID does have to imitate APPLE? Samsung fascinate, Samsung Galaxy and now Samsung Galaxy player. I would like to see android not copy apple just to give us a cheaper alternative. Every new release has to be an ipad killer, an ipod killer or iphone killer....these days. Can't we just look beyong apple? Give me a break.
    The problem is that Apple has an AWESOME interface. I personally like the Apple interface... I however, do not like that you have to use Itunes for EVERYTHING. Nor do I like that the store is not an "open" market like Android.
    Face it, Ipods and Iphones were out on the market before Android devices. With that being said.... I have 5 Android phones and have no intentions of EVER going to an Iphone even if it does come to VZW. I personally like the Android OS better.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Hate to say it, but the 3 "Android" items you listed are all Samsung, not Google. The thing with the Android OS is that its free and open-source, so anybody can use it for what they want (like Barnes and Noble's Nook device). Also, the Samsung Fascinate is part of Samsung's line of Galaxy S phones.

Just to clarify a few points.
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    The real problem is no one can release a tablet/touchscreen phone/touchscreen media player without the media labeling it as an "ipad/od/hone killer"

tappin and a talkin
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Wow man way to bash android. Its all about marketing. The ignorant masses think if its not apple its not good. So they market the products to say look at this it does more than the Iwhatever and its cheaper. They use apple as a ploy to get people to try the product. Because apple is old and people know the brand.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    First off Samsung is NOT Android (considering all the devices you listed...) so do not take the actions of a manufacture as the actions/intentions of the OS. Second until Android there was no good, common OS that could do all the things that iPOS allowed but now with Android there is so developers are taking advantage of it (prior to Android a developer needed a separate OS for every device or needed to develop and support their own $$$$). As for comparing them to apple products... DUH.. really... they were here first and have the largest market share and (by some are considered the best) so they are considered THE competition to beat... Apple also has the most to loose considering their market share they have with so few devices so Android could potentially be a real threat to apple and iPOS devices by showing consumers (well the non iFan brain-dead ones anyway) how little choice/options they actually had with apple products. Granted any of this is a long way from materializing but it's the main point behind all the comparisons.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    First off Samsung is NOT Android (considering all the devices you listed...) so do not take the actions of a manufacture as the actions/intentions of the OS. Second until Android there was no good, common OS that could do all the things that iPOS allowed but now with Android there is so developers are taking advantage of it (prior to Android a developer needed a separate OS for every device or needed to develop and support their own $$$$). As for comparing them to apple products... DUH.. really... they were here first and have the largest market share and (by some are considered the best) so they are considered THE competition to beat... Apple also has the most to loose considering their market share they have with so few devices so Android could potentially be a real threat to apple and iPOS devices by showing consumers (well the non iFan brain-dead ones anyway) how little choice/options they actually had with apple products. Granted any of this is a long way from materializing but it's the main point behind all the comparisons.
    long way from materializing? try never going to materialize. there is not going to be a mass exodus of "ifan brain dead" (your words not mine) users to android. Android, unfortunately, is going to get rocked by the iPhone if it is released on VZW.

Which sucks, because I love Android. Unfortunately, the consumers have spoken, and they haven't stopped speaking for 4 years. the iPhone is simply what people prefer over any other OS, and Android is not going to change that unless they find a way to deliver a reliable, fluid OS like iOS. So far no company has done that with an android os.

I find all the "iPhone killer" comparisons pretty lame too, it makes the company look like they're trying to hard, but like you mentioned, they have to do that because Apple is the one to beat, plain and simple.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    long way from materializing? try never going to materialize. there is not going to be a mass exodus of "ifan brain dead" (your words not mine) users to android. Android, unfortunately, is going to get rocked by the iPhone if it is released on VZW.

Which sucks, because I love Android. Unfortunately, the consumers have spoken, and they haven't stopped speaking for 4 years. the iPhone is simply what people prefer over any other OS, and Android is not going to change that unless they find a way to deliver a reliable, fluid OS like iOS. So far no company has done that with an android os.

I find all the "iPhone killer" comparisons pretty lame too, it makes the company look like they're trying to hard, but like you mentioned, they have to do that because Apple is the one to beat, plain and simple.
    There will be VZW customers who drop Android devices and go to the iPhone if and when it comes to Verizon...thats a no-brainer. The reason is simple...iPhones are for the most part, smart phones for the lowest common denominator segment for cell phone users. I know that sounds harsh, but it is the simple truth. I see it time and time again with iPhone users...all they know is they have apps and can use iTunes for everything they want.

I have a Droid X...it can do everything an iPhone 4 can do, except 2 way video chat, and many things an iPhone 4 cant...do you think the average iPhone user cares? Nope, not in the least...cause its still an iPhone...and thats all they care about.

Until Android partners with a phone maker to the point that the device they build and market is as seamless and easy to use as the iPhone, Apple has no real worry as far as losing full market value of its devices. Dropping an iPhone on VZW would only strengthen the Apple brand exponentially.

I will still be rocking my DX..cause I can swap batteries, storage, and customize until my heart is content...without Steve Jobs telling me I am wrong...

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyBagz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post

There will be VZW customers who drop Android devices and go to the iPhone if and when it comes to Verizon...thats a no-brainer. The reason is simple...iPhones are for the most part, smart phones for the lowest common denominator segment for cell phone users. I know that sounds harsh, but it is the simple truth. I see it time and time again with iPhone users...all they know is they have apps and can use iTunes for everything they want.

I have a Droid X...it can do everything an iPhone 4 can do, except 2 way video chat, and many things an iPhone 4 cant...do you think the average iPhone user cares? Nope, not in the least...cause its still an iPhone...and thats all they care about.

Until Android partners with a phone maker to the point that the device they build and market is as seamless and easy to use as the iPhone, Apple has no real worry as far as losing full market value of its devices. Dropping an iPhone on VZW would only strengthen the Apple brand exponentially.

I will still be rocking my DX..cause I can swap batteries, storage, and customize until my heart is content...without Steve Jobs telling me I am wrong...
    android users bash iPhone and swear by android just as much (honestly i think more) than iPhone users bash android and swear by iOS.

the whole "Steve Jobs telling me I am wrong" and "lowest common denominator" statements that you're making further prove that point. it's really like android users (at least the die hard ones on this forum) believe that iPhone users are complete and utter idiots who have no grasp on anything and simply obey what Steve Jobs tells them. How that is not viewed as the stupidest thing imaginable is beyond me. But it just goes to show you that on both sides, there are those who have weird issues with people who don't like their choice of phone. The childish bashing is lame. Extremely lame.

Further, you are making the assumption (the very, very, VERY wrong assumption) that every android user knows more about their phone then the iphone people know about theirs. Like the smartest of the smart buy androids, and the dumbest of the dumb opt for something else. Again, the stupidity of such statements should be apparent to anyone reading them, but sadly they're not.

The iPhone is not going to be beat by an android device...no individual android device comes remotely close to having the success of the iPhone. When/if the iPhone goes to VZW, android will take a huge hit. And when the iPhone becomes 4G/LTE capable, android will suffer an even bigger hit.

You dont plan on leaving android, and neither do i. I've tried an iPhone, and as great a phone it is, I prefer having a phone that is "open" (although the term "open" is becoming more diluted what with the lockdowns on the android phones that are being released since the D1)

As much as you want to believe the contrary, the iPhone simply is an amazing device, that will continue to outsell every individual android phone known to man. When I'm proven wrong, I'll apologize, but I do ask that you don't hold you breath.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdroid View Post
    Um, everything you just said was Samsung. It's not the Android OS copying Apple, it's Samsung.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links