DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: DROID Hints: POP3, GMAIL, forwarding and you.

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by racinjunkie View Post
    Thanks so much for your time. I think I understand everything you said but I still have a question. I have verizon.net email addys and I use outlook on my desktop. I'm using POP3 to pull messages to my phone and I do not have the box in outlook that says "leave a copy on the server" checked. With my current set up messages come to my phone (sporadically and not in a timely fashion) and later when I open outlook those same messages download to my desktop and then are deleted from the server. If I use POP3 to pull my verizon.net addy messages to gmail will that same thing happen or will I need to check that box in order to still d/l them onto my desktop?

I'm sorry to be such a PITA, I really appreciate your time or anyone else who wants to help the challenged.
    in outlook (2007, but should apply to all):

- tools - account settings - double-click your POP3 (vzw.net) account
    - click the more settings button
    - click the advanced tab. leave messages on server is either checked or it isn't.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    As much as I'm convinced the Storm is a good hocky puck I'm probably going to dump the Droid. It's a lot more than the Storm when it comes to the internet & gps, but it's a pita when it comes down to what I need it to do: emails and making phone calls. I've got emails going all over the galaxy and no idea how they got to where they are or how they got deleted. Unless you're willing to do all your emails with gmail it doesn't seem worth the hassle. It's like trying to breed horses and zebras and throwing camel in the mix. Stuff just isn't compatible enough at the moment. Maybe in another couple of years...
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    As much as I'm convinced the Storm is a good hocky puck I'm probably going to dump the Droid. It's a lot more than the Storm when it comes to the internet & gps, but it's a pita when it comes down to what I need it to do: emails and making phone calls. I've got emails going all over the galaxy and no idea how they got to where they are or how they got deleted. Unless you're willing to do all your emails with gmail it doesn't seem worth the hassle. It's like trying to breed horses and zebras and throwing camel in the mix. Stuff just isn't compatible enough at the moment. Maybe in another couple of years...
    check out k9 from the marketplace. it's really not so difficult and we're here to help!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Keeping track of all my email accounts with the Droid is a no-brainer. I've got gmail set up to do everything and nothing gets lost, deleted or shipped off to an unknown solar system somewhere. To top it off, people that I email or reply to see my mail coming from my address that I've had for years. Piece of cake, thanks to the OP.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by 640k View Post
    in outlook (2007, but should apply to all):

- tools - account settings - double-click your POP3 (vzw.net) account
    - click the more settings button
    - click the advanced tab. leave messages on server is either checked or it isn't.
    Yeah I know how to do that, thanks. What I'm trying to understand is how/why things work differently in different situations. Right now, without that turned on messages come to my phone and then later come to outlook and are then removed from the server. When I briefly had a blackberry they said i needed to check that option in order to get messages to come into outlook which meant that messages remained on the server and had to be manually deleted.

If I have my vzw mail pulled into Gmail by POP3 will the messages remain on the server without checking that outlook option to leave messages on the server?

If I switch my vzw mail to imap what set up can I use to have things work the way that works for me without having to manually delete messages off the server.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    gmail's checking of POP3 accounts automatically leaves messages on the server by default (i'm not sure that you can change this). if you have the option to use your non-gmail account as an imap account in outlook, doing so will sync the information between whatever client you use and the server. however, when you make changes to items on the server, gmail's copy is NOT updated (because of POP3).

since going DROID, i have all but forgotten my other non-gmail accounts. gmail handles everything sufficiently enough that if I ever have a need to use one of my old accounts, i can.

even though i've had my hotmail accounts for twice as long as my gmail accounts, i have no problems switching people to the correct account. and if they don't get it (as in make the switch), i can still reply through the old account.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

send mail as

640k,

I have been using the setup you outline for several weeks, with one exception. I also have Roadrunner (oh.rr), and it will not allow me to set "send mail as" to send through my RR account.

Whenever I try to set it up that way, I get error messages, generally about the server not supporting TLS. (I don't recall the exact wording.)

I did a lot of forum and google surfing about this problem, and I thought it was irresovable with Roadrunner. I have tried all the port and security settings possible, but none work to allow me to send through the RR smtp server. I have had to leave it set to "send as gmail."

Am I missing something?
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    i think somebody else mentioned that gmail doesn't support TLS, which is unfortunate. i'm not sure of another way around your problem.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by 640k View Post
    gmail's checking of POP3 accounts automatically leaves messages on the server by default (i'm not sure that you can change this). if you have the option to use your non-gmail account as an imap account in outlook, doing so will sync the information between whatever client you use and the server. however, when you make changes to items on the server, gmail's copy is NOT updated (because of POP3).
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. thanks so much for your time!
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by racinjunkie View Post
    Yeah I know how to do that, thanks. What I'm trying to understand is how/why things work differently in different situations. Right now, without that turned on messages come to my phone and then later come to outlook and are then removed from the server. When I briefly had a blackberry they said i needed to check that option in order to get messages to come into outlook which meant that messages remained on the server and had to be manually deleted.

If I have my vzw mail pulled into Gmail by POP3 will the messages remain on the server without checking that outlook option to leave messages on the server?

If I switch my vzw mail to imap what set up can I use to have things work the way that works for me without having to manually delete messages off the server.
    I have similar needs as you, and I've found the easy solution was to set my e-mail account to autoforward to my gmail account. This let's me use my e-mail as usual - download to outlook or whatever and have it delete them from the server - but I get them on my Droid through gmail. I set my gmail account to reply with my regular email address, so when I reply from the Droid, they look like they come from my regular account. It works great.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Links