DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are custom ROM's so fast

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Why are custom ROM's so fast

Custom roms for the magic and dream are so much faster than the stock ones, but they add more features and are developed by people without access to proprietary drivers. How can this be? Could Droid roms be fast?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Coming from WinMo. A Custom Rom was fast because the developer slashed a lot of the bloatware and services that were unneeded. They would also optomize and include the latest fixes and updates to WinMo.

As for the droid. I am entirely unfamilar with Android OS and I assume that 1.5/6 rom (i am assuming you mean cynogen) is incorporating fixes and cutting out the unneccessary software.

I would be interested to hear more from an Android developer on this and the type of optomization Android allows.

Either way, how much faster do you want your droid to be? This **** is already blazin.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    It's the skill of the hackers. Yes, the Droid could be far faster. It's processor is ridiculous so it could possibly be obscene. They dissect the parts and bit by bit figure things out and redo it themselves.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    How come a large amount of motorola/verizon/google people can't do that in the first place?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    yeah I also came from winmo an the roms were sooo much better then stock roms. Is this a big thing with android? it seemed like new roms on winmo were very popular but is it the same with the android platform?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    It's just that Verizon hasn't had an Android phone until now. Give 'em time. It takes real work to do this.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Well because it's just that...the Phone has to go through so many different hands before it gets to the end user each maybe not talking to each other as clearly as they would like.

This phone is very well put together. The coding is solid and it seems to be the apps that cause the instability (as with most operating systems in general).

People develop roms when the phone sucks. WinMo is a prime example. Each carrier would load so much bloatware on there that it was obscene. The Rom's were basically stripped down version from builds of WinMo with the other stuff on top.

Typically ROMs don't have any special coding. Some maybe but not a lot. However with Android being an open platform it easy to troubleshoot the bugs and memory leaks and latency problems.

Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Eventually there will be a push for more features. In the mean time there isn't enough to be done to warrant a reflash...
    Last edited by zudien; 12-23-2009 at 03:25 PM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid + CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2
    Dream & Magic? are those HTC if they are no sence UI to bog you down with the custom rom would be my guess
    For Android news, updates, links to roms and more check out http://www.tekhawk.com

And for news on my future Launcher themes once I find the time to start theming them again.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Developers that are creating ROMS are not bound by guide lines, policy's, and rules of the carriers. So they can work to optimize the ROMS to work by tweeking things, cutting stuff out etc.. that normally the manufacture could not.
    "Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps View Post
    It's just that Verizon hasn't had an Android phone until now. Give 'em time. It takes real work to do this.
    Agreed -- the Droid has already had one update that improved several functions. Sped them up, I mean. And it uses way less battery power when it's idle now, too. It's just a matter of time -- they'll optimize the hell out of this phone's software. The future of this phone is very bright.
    Laurence MacNeill
    Mableton, Georgia, USA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links