DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nexus on sale just in

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKastle View Post
    There is no hype. The phone is going on sale in 10 days and no one knew what was going on with it.

Google purposely did not hype the phone because their goal had failed.
    No hype? Do you live under a rock?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidGenius View Post
    Sorry as a newbie, I still don't understand what this phone will have over the Droid if they're both running 2.1. Besides being able to use overseas. Hardware specs seem very similar. Why all the hype?
    I believe it's google's first phone on it's own terms without added carrier stuff.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/Ultimate Droid 9.8
    Quote Originally Posted by JhankG View Post
    It also has a better screen than the Droid, but that's not enough to make me switch. The 1ghz processor sounds great, but again, not enough for me to switch.
    If it was a CDMA phone on Verizon I'd consider it, but here in Southern California you could not pay me to switch back to the shoddy service of AT$T (dollar sign intended!) or even worse coverage of T-nonMobile.
    Verizon + Droid = The only way to go mobile!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    JHank.. just 3 weeks ago no body knew that the Passion pictures were actually the Google phone. Just today we find out that in 10 days the phone will go on sale.

That is hype? It is obvious why there was a lack of hype. The phone is prisoned to T-Mobile and can only receive EDGE on AT&T. People on AT&T will stick with the iPhone in other words until its next generation and if you want the Google phone go to T-Mobile, just like the G-1.

There has been no mention of the Google Phone outside forums and tech-websites. There has been an absence of information leading up to its release.

A month ago people were debating whether there was a Google phone or not.

Verizon protected the cell industry's manufacturers by refusing the Google Phone. Google basically tried to backstab the same manufacturers who have been pushing the Android OS as of late. Luckily for them it will basically be a T-Mobile phone, because if it wasn't the mobile OS wars would be a lot closer than you think going in to 2011. A blessing in disguise for Google was Verizon's denial. Do a little research and you'll see what I mean about this specific topic...
    Last edited by LordKastle; 12-23-2009 at 11:01 AM.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    The screen seems to be a little more vibrant due to the fact that it is OLED, and the processor is fast, but until I sees it side by side next to a droid running 2.1 I can't say how fast it is. It looks nice but I'll probably stick with my droid and wait until nexus two.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Dphone
    IMO, if Google makes their own phone, then this is the end of Droid. In order to complete with Nexus and iPhone, Motorola has to drop the price again. I can't see the Droid going for $50 after rebate.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by nolanandy View Post
    IMO, if Google makes their own phone, then this is the end of Droid. In order to complete with Nexus and iPhone, Motorola has to drop the price again. I can't see the Droid going for $50 after rebate.
    I really don't think so, not if it's going to be locked to the 4th largest carrier in the U.S. T-Mobile will likely get a lot of G1 and MyTouch coverts like Verizon got Storm switchers. Problem is, being the smallest of the "big four" they won't have as many people change carrier as Verizon did with the Droid.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    neXus
    Quote Originally Posted by DurangoJim View Post
    The screen seems to be a little more vibrant due to the fact that it is OLED, and the processor is fast, but until I sees it side by side next to a droid running 2.1 I can't say how fast it is. It looks nice but I'll probably stick with my droid and wait until nexus two.
    not side by side, but you'll get an idea:
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

No voice plan required

The hardware of the Nexus phone is not going to cut it. Being carrier-free will also not make a big difference. With a Google phone, if you don't have to subscribe to a voice plan but make do with just a data plan of $30 per month and use unlimited voice on Google voice, that might make a huge difference. Wouldn't that be around $30 to $50 savings every month with pretty much the same functionality? I know I would take it.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    am I the only one who thinks this is just another developer phone?

No advertisements, everything is just rumors. Invite only purchasing.

from their first dev phone stuff
    The Android Dev Phone 1 is a SIM-unlocked and hardware-unlocked device that is designed for advanced developers.
    now replace Android Dev Phone 1 with Nexus One. That same sentence fits with all the rumors we've heard.

Dev phones 1 and 2 were made by HTC, Nexus One is made by HTC.
    Dev phones 1 and 2 rebranded and sold on tmobile. Nexus One is rumored to be sold on tmobile.

Similarities between the rumors and the previous dev phones seem to me to be a bit more than coincidence.

My money is on that its just another unlocked dev phone that will get locked and be sold on tmobile.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links