DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current State of Android Dictation Apps?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Griz, I tried LivoPro as you suggested - good app! Thanks!

However, yesterday I recorded 4 sessions. 3 of them are in 3gp format, but the fourth saved in amr format.

Any ideas why this happened? How to convert it back to either 3gp or mp3 (the ultimate target format)?

Thanks, Griz!

The Gunny
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnySpook View Post
    Griz, I tried LivoPro as you suggested - good app! Thanks!

However, yesterday I recorded 4 sessions. 3 of them are in 3gp format, but the fourth saved in amr format.

Any ideas why this happened? How to convert it back to either 3gp or mp3 (the ultimate target format)?

Thanks, Griz!

The Gunny
    Gunny, the last 3 files I dictated with Livo are amr files. My secretary was able to convert them without any trouble. Going back father in my e-mail, I see that my older Livo files (3 wks ago) were 3gp. There was an update from the dev during that period. Maybe that changed the file format?
    Last edited by griz8791; 03-28-2010 at 02:20 PM.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I don't think it was the update that did it, as I did all 4 files yesterday. there was only about an hour between the last 3gp file and the start of the amr file. However, the amr file is much bigger - perhaps it is a sizing thing?

I also tried to convert it using the free converter you referenced, and it doesn't see the amr file at all.

It's a mystery.....

Thanks, Griz.

The Gunny
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I was just going to put up a link to that converter. My staff has been using it to convert both 3gps and amrs from Livo.
  5. aag
    Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola MilestoneI II
    I was wondering whether any new insights or developments have occurred on this topic in the intervening 10 months. I definitely need a dictation app, ideally with 1-click emailing of dictation files to my assistant.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Has anyone found anything better than LivoPro, Tape-A-Talk or Speakwrite?

I'd give Two Hundred Bucks for an Android app that had all of the same features as, and worked as well as, Dictamus for iOS. I loathe the thought of switching to an iPhone, but the lack of a professional grade dictation app might force me to do it. In addition to the requisite ability to pause & resume, Dictamus gives you an easy to use interface that lets you rewind easily. You can pre-configure several "destinations" so that when you finish dictating, it will automatically upload the file to a folder on Dropbox (or similar service) and send an email to your secretary alerting her that a job is waiting. See Dictamus - Dictate & Send for screenshots and a description of the state of the art. Sadly, the authors of Dictamus have zero interest in developing for the Android environment. Notwithstanding that the Android OS is now no. 1 in the world, they just don't care.

Please post back here if you find anything useful.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Dictadroid - new voice recorder app

Hi,

I stumbled across this post and wanted to mention that there is a new app available on the Android Market called Dictadroid.

I developed Dictadroid with the goal of making a simple but powerful voice recorder for dictation. I believe it addresses most of the issues mentioned in this post.

Please download Dictadroid and let me know what you think. You feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Boris
    Last edited by bestulin; 07-15-2011 at 12:18 PM.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2

Dictation Apps for Android - no post on this since July, 2011!!

I've been looking for a professional dictation app for Droid for ages. I would like, not just pause/resume, but also insert, overwrite, rewind & fast forward. This is what you get if you buy one of the big company software apps like Big Hand & WinScribe. NCH has the excellent Pocket Dictate for iPhone and says that the Droid version is in development. They also sell the transcription software at a very reasonable price. The email I received from NCH re:droid development is as follows:

""Development was delayed on the Android version, and we only just released our first Android App last month. WavePad and Express/Pocket Dictate are both planned to follow. I don't have definite release date for either of those, but I can promise they are being worked on, and I apologize that they have taken so long in coming.""

So there is hope for the Droid dictation market yet.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Razor
    Grizz and Gunny,

I need to set up a dictation app on a droid and then be able to get that dictation to listen to so I can transcribe on a PC. From what I have followed in the forum, LivoPro and a converter for the files would be the best at this point. Is there anything better at this time? Thank You ...BigRed
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links