DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: palm pre

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

palm pre

thinking of switching from my pre to a droid because i really want a better camera and a good video camera. Of course i will have to pay to leave sprint, which hurts a little.

Anyone switched from a pre? if so how does the droid experience compare?

thanks

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    I can give you plenty of reasons to leave the Pre for the Droid. Don't know if I would say that the camera and video would qualify as "reasons" though... especially if you need to swallow ETF fees. Stuck in your position, I would probably look to a Flip HD or something similar first.

But anyway... reasons the Droid is better than the Pre.

1. As bad as some people feel the Droid keyboard is... it is better than that hunk of junk on the Pre.

2. Solidly built. Motorola tends to overengineer their phones, and the Droid is not exception. It will seem heavy... almost obscenely so, compared to that plastic toy phone.

3. Apps. Yes, Palm allows... even encourages hacking of their phone... it is because they don't have a half-way decent SDK to offer for full development. The Pre will continue to lag behind in apps.

4. Customization (this is sort of part of apps admittedly)... don't like the Messaging app? Get a new one. Some functionality missing? Find somebody that filled that hole. Make your device work the way you want.

5. High Res Screen - You will be blown away at all the screen real estate you have compared to that tiny little Pre screen.

6. Call quality. It just doesn't compare

7. "The Network" Also just doesn't compare. There is a reason that people are leaving Sprint in droves.

If you need more... just let me know.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I just joined this forum and was about to post the same thing. I currently have a Pre on Sprint. I am able to get out of my contract for free in January so I am seriously looking at the Moto Droid. I really like the interface on my Pre but the hardware is flimsy and the OS feels very slow. I also miss calls alot, which could be related to the network or the lag on the Pre. I'm sure I could sell my Pre to offset some of the Droid costs so money isn't an issue.

Any other thoughts about the Pre vs Droid? My fear is that I would miss my Pre although I somehow doubt that will be the case.

One thing I like about the Pre is the way it handles my google and exchange calendar. It combines the 2 into one calendar which I must admit has made life much easier. How would Droid handle my 2 calendars? I was told it would put them into 2 different apps, which means I would have to check 2 separate apps just to see if I am available an any given moment. Is that the case?

By the way ...Great Forum...Very informative...Chances are you will see me here more often.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    CalWidget will display events from both Google and Exchange calendars at the same time, but I haven't seen a full merged calendar. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist... and if there isn't one yet, there will be: that's the nice thing about being on a platform with enough customers to be worth developing for (unlike the Pre!)

My cubemate has a Pre and glares at me every time my hip yells DROIIID. He's bitter, bitter jealous.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    If you end up leaving Sprint for the Droid but then decide that you miss your Pre, the Pre Plus that Verizon is releasing looks awesome. Upgrades all around compared to the Sprint version to go along with a much better network. With that said, I don't think the Droid will disappoint you. Seems like a win win either way.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid :D
    You don't have to pay to leave Sprint, they changed their Terms of Service, meaning you can cancel free. I switched from the Droid to the Pre, and never looked back, the Pre is sad compared to the Droid.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
    You don't have to pay to leave Sprint, they changed their Terms of Service, meaning you can cancel free. I switched from the Droid to the Pre, and never looked back, the Pre is sad compared to the Droid.
    o rly?
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
    Do you mean you switched from the Pre to the Droid? If that is what you mean then what are some of the advantages of the Droid over the Pre. I heard the lag problem will be gone...that is probably my biggest gripe with the Pre.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Another question...How is the battery life in comparison to the Pre?
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX
    As stated by Elysian, because a material change to your contract, you will be able to leave Sprint sans the ETF. I will first state that I'm Android bias, as the Droid is my 3rd Android device. However, here are some advantages the Droid has over the Pre that I'm aware of.

1. Screen size and res. Its the most obvious difference between both phones.
    2. Battery life is far superior
    3. The Pre, like many other HTC devices I own have a tendency to get hot during usage, I have yet to experience this on my Droid
    4. Its made with much better materials, metal instead of glossy plastic
    5. IMO, better Facebook integration. You can associate as much information as you choose where as the Pre is just all or nothing.
    6. Speaker that manages to sound "stereo" at loud levels, the Pre's speaker sounded "tiny" to me
    7. More layers for Google Maps, including street view and turn by turn navigation
    8. Threaded Gmail
    9. Browser that doesn't have to redraw constantly when scrolling
    9. MUCH faster performance. The Pre is just painfully slow at almost everything. I don't know about you, but I remember not even really wanting to use the majority of my phone functions because I felt I was always waiting, waiting, waiting..

Also, from an OS standpoint, I like the idea that I can not only download alternatives to pre installed applications, but tell my OS that I want to default access to said alternatives. I can download files, browse, unzip, even create a ringtone directly from my device without the aid of a desktop. When I want to go back a page, I simply hit the back button. That may not look as cool as swiping on a gesture menu, but its simple, and effective. I don't think I even need to go into the homescreen customization and so forth. Basically, Android just excels at being useful. The Pre just excels at looking elegant, with usefulness being a sidebar.
    Last edited by natty_lite; 01-15-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Links