Maybe you can think twice about picking up that new Nintendo 3DS: over a year since development began, the first official release of N64oid, which lets you play classic Nintendo 64 titles on your Android device, is now available in the Market. This is the latest offering from yongzh, the developer behind NESoid, SNESoid, and several other highly-rated emulators for Android.
While emulators for pre-mid-1990sí consoles are commonplace on a variety of mobile devices, the generation that featured N64 and the first Sony Playstation took a huge leap in terms of performance, so developing working emulators for titles from those machines takes considerably more time and commitment from talented developers. N64oid was available previously in beta status, but many games were not yet fully working and the sound was often off. We fully expect N64 to improve in time, but it looks like most games work now with a very solid framerate.
If you want to play oldies like Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, or Goldeneye, you will need to have corresponding ROMs (you must own a copy of the game to play legally).
N64oid is the Nintendo 64 emulator optimized for Android.* Run most games smoothly at a reasonable speed (if not full speed) with sound. This requires you have a high-end device (Nexus-S, Nexus-One, Droid, Samsung Galaxy, etc).
* Save/load game states at ANY points, as well as the in-game save support (SRAM, EEPROM, etc).
* A configurable, translucent on-screen keypad that is very easy to use.
* Key mappings to map game keys to hardware buttons.
* Option to use the G-sensor as the analog stick.
* A variety of settings that you can tune on your needs.
* N64oid is far from being perfect now. But do expect it would be improved continuously and constantly.