DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When will there be games like iPhone/iTouch

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

When will there be games like iPhone/iTouch

Does anyone know when there will be games like Madden/ f.a.s.t./ etc. that utilize the touch screen with great graphics and smooth play? I just see the same apps/games in the market everytime. Not really interested in the 20 Gang Wars or all the Domino games in the market. Just seems like all the market games are more elementary in graphics.

3. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    ToonWarz is a start... 3d fps + multiplayer... with multitouch enabled... kinda crappy but it works
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    It will take some time. I've posted this before, but I'll say it again in that there are a few major hindrances for developing for Android from a developer's perspective.

Pros for Android: Java-based, so more familiar to a lot of developers. Can support the "good guys," though that's a matter of opinion (Google vs. Apple).

Pros for Apple: Larger market (games are marketed towards kids with iPod Touches just as much as iPhones, which drastically increases their consumer base). More time (Apple's mobile OS is a bit more mature than Android). Hardware (Apple's hardware is strictly regulated and, despite there now being a decent variety of devices, the hardware between iPhones and iPod Touches is close enough that developers can be much more confident that what they build will run on the devices. Despite the fact that the Droid is pretty equivalent to an iPhone 3GS, not all Android phones are nearly this powerful. Also, because of multi-tasking, it's a little harder to account for what users will be running on their phones that could cause slowdowns/bugs, something that isn't a factor on iPhones). Money (most App Store products cost money, where as Android has a decent variety of free apps).

The development of more Android devices outside of the smartphone market will be, in my opinion, what makes or breaks Android game development. There are currently a couple of Android tablets floating around/in development (by Archeros I think?), but that is more of a niche market. There has also been talk about Android running on netbooks, which may or may not help depending on it's success (not to mention the differences in interfaces between a phone and a netbook... full keyboard, mouse vs touchscreen, no accelerometer in netbooks, etc).
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I agree with what everyone has said, but the android gaming market still hasn't been tapped! All it would take would be a couple of developers and a garage, to create an amazing 3D game. It would have to be a FPS, RPG, or RTS because those are the most popular games.

Seriously though, some developers could get rich because this platform is lacking any apps that target hardcore gamers. I tried toonwarz and it's a good start but I think someone can do way better.

Improve the controls a little on Toonwarz and put them in a game like quake II and that would be a game worth playing.
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    The iphone apps have a huge head start on android...Give it a little time...they games will come..
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    You guys have to remember that the iPhone has been out for quite a while now. The original 2G iPhone was released on June 29, 2007 and the 3G about a year later on July 10 or 11 of 08 I think it was. So all in all its been out a bit longer than the droid. Just give it some time. They'll start rolling in soon.
  8. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    whoaaaa kova youre tomb raider . diggin out this old thread. last comment was 3 months ago. many things have changed. many good iphone devs working now for android too. we have polarbit, hyperdevbox, pixelbite, dvidearts and more to come. look just at the sticky or on our droidblog.
  9. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz
  10. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Premium Member
    i really HATE this kind of videos. you cant put 100 games in one or two videos and demonstrate everyone of them good enaugh. and there are to many crap in the vid. shorter videos with just one game are 100times better. btw : dont just post a video some sentences also would be nice .
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Iphone
    Ya but while their are some games getting better the iphone is pulling away. I mean street fighter? what about raging thunder looks 3 times better on the iphone......and I know what ure gonna say who cares about street fighter we have emulators. I know that but its the fact that capcom decide to port a copy itself that matters
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links