DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push Email vs Fetch Email

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Push Email vs Fetch Email

I am new to my Droid2, just got it Monday night. My email is currently set to fetch 15 minutes. Should it be changed to push? I have noticed that my email on my droid seems to be around 45 minutes late, give or take a little.

Also,what is a good weather program to use on my screen? I don't much like the motorola wigit one that I am using right now.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OGDroid Incredible
    for weather beautiful widgets is good, as for your original question id also like to know. its a problem when i have my macs calendar sending notifications to my email and they come through 40 mins later than i need it
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalfan View Post
    I am new to my Droid2, just got it Monday night. My email is currently set to fetch 15 minutes. Should it be changed to push? I have noticed that my email on my droid seems to be around 45 minutes late, give or take a little.

Also,what is a good weather program to use on my screen? I don't much like the motorola wigit one that I am using right now.
    Until about an hour ago I was using the Gmail app to have all my emails pushed to the phone. I setup my pop3 accounts on the Google/Gmail site. It will fetch your pop3 accounts on a flexible frequency based on each account's activity - more activity = more frequent polling. I believe the longest polling frequency is 5 minutes. Anyway, I just go sick of the stock Gmail app. It insisted on pushing duplicate emails to the phone. And when I say duplicates, I mean over and over and over. Got sick of it.

Also, this morning, thanks to a thread/post here of DF, I found out that you can no longer delete emails from the trash folder via the phone. You have to go to the Google/Gmail site and delete them there.

So, I'm back to K-9 mail and I have it fetching all my mail every 15 minutes. I just tested it and it does not seem to have the big lag that you are experiencing. You might give it a try. It's in the market, but the devs update the app frequently but do not keep the market current very well. So here's the site to get the current version: Downloads - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code. In fact there have been two updates since the market was updated.

So, bottom line is that both of the native email apps on the phones suck (imnsho).

Oh and the weather app, I use Beautiful Widget's Home widget on my home screen. It has good brief weather info. On one of my other screens I have The Weather Channel for more detailed info. Plus it has active radar which I really like. I don't use their widget, just an app icon.

Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OGDroid Incredible
    weatherbug is good for a plethora of weather information. I use beautiful widgets for my home screen weather then when i tap the weather icon, then the forecast i have it take me to weatherbug
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    +1 on K9 being much better than the stock email client
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalfan View Post
    My email is currently set to fetch 15 minutes. Should it be changed to push?
    If it supports push, yes. Polling will kill your battery faster (especially if intervals are short).
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X
    How do you set the gmail app to push?
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
    How do you set the gmail app to push?
    Gmail is push and requires no setting. If you want you can add your pop3 accounts to the gmail app by going to the Google/Gmail website and add them there. Then google will poll them fairly frequently and push them to your gmail app on the phone.

I set mine up this way and used it for about 2 months until recently the Gmail app started re-downloading the same emails over and over and over. I finally went back to K-9 and polling ever 15. BTW, so far battery usage seems to be about the same for me.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Polling really isn't such a huge battery drain.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid2
    What to do about email...

I am using my new Driod2 for both personal and evchange email from work. i see lots on comments about the pre-installed email client on the D2 and about K9. Is there a single app that will I can use that is full featured for business?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links