DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Android 2.2 Wireless Tether Stock?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid A855

Android 2.2 Wireless Tether Stock?

I saw that 2.2 was supposed to have wireless tether. I don't see it using the 2.2 leak or BB Froyo 0.1 releases.

Think it's going to come out or did Verizon already block it? I see USB tether which is great but it would be nice to have that wireless option on the fly.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    download wireless tether from market. The leaked froyo is not complete.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid A855
    OK, so simply the answer is no it does not have wireless tether yet. Good I thought I missed something there.

I still have doubts that it will be in the official Verizon 2.2. Verizon is always milking people for a buck. If they included a wireless tether their 3G wireless hub they charge people $60 a month would lose market share.

Honestly though if they had high-speed wireless tether and Flash I would not root... no real reason to do so.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Go View Post
    I still have doubts that it will be in the official Verizon 2.2. Verizon is always milking people for a buck. If they included a wireless tether their 3G wireless hub they charge people $60 a month would lose market share
    Aahhh yes, but didn't they say the same thing about Google Navigation in regards to VZ Navigator?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid + CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Go View Post
    OK, so simply the answer is no it does not have wireless tether yet. Good I thought I missed something there.

I still have doubts that it will be in the official Verizon 2.2. Verizon is always milking people for a buck. If they included a wireless tether their 3G wireless hub they charge people $60 a month would lose market share.

Honestly though if they had high-speed wireless tether and Flash I would not root... no real reason to do so.
    IMO they are blocking the stock wireless tethering to prevent people from using stuff like IPods IPads XBox PS3 Wii ect from using the network but give you the usb tether for people to use with the laptops ect
    For Android news, updates, links to roms and more check out http://www.tekhawk.com

And for news on my future Launcher themes once I find the time to start theming them again.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid A855
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy View Post
    Aahhh yes, but didn't they say the same thing about Google Navigation in regards to VZ Navigator?
    Good point but Google made the OS, wireless free Internet for many people is all Verizon.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid A855
    Quote Originally Posted by TekHawk View Post
    IMO they are blocking the stock wireless tethering to prevent people from using stuff like IPods IPads XBox PS3 Wii ect from using the network but give you the usb tether for people to use with the laptops ect
    You know that makes sense. The USB tether is far better performance as well if you ask me. I got 3MB up and down on Speak Easy Speed Test once... now the upload sucks bad so who knows. When I saw 3MB I was thinking about dropping my Cable modem at home. Wife would kill me so it would never happen but I thought about it.

Anyway...
    I saw the wireless tether in a 2.2 preview and in the feature list... why would they even include it if it was going to cause trouble with some fat ass getting richer?
  8. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Wireless tethering works with the app from the market, and works well, so no worries right??
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    We all know we could be suprised here. The Palm Pre has hotspot capability, and is already on VZ.

I see it happening that we lose unlimited data no mater what, but gain wi fi tethering, if that doesnt happen, it's not like they dont know we can dd it to our units...
  10. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I have a feeling that some are mixing up wireless tethering via the 3G network to having our Droids connecting to a WiFi network and then tethering our laptops to our Droids??.... why would we need the latter?...or maybe I'm misunderstanding what some are saying??

Links